Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #556
Regular Crew

DVD-HD is under development. There are two camps in this. One is using blue laser for more data storage per disc and the other MPEG-4 with existing discs. Neither are standards yet.

That said, using Vegas to size down your HD to 728x480 out to still look really good. And possibly save it to data DVDs as HD Windows Media to play on the computer.
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #557
Inner Circle

You can output to Windows Media 9 HD, this doesn't require DVD architect btw. You can then burn a dvd-r or +r disk. Maybe even get a master for distribution. The encoding tools (directshow drivers, interfaces...) are free from Microsoft. There is actually an Windows Media HD version of Terminator 2 available in both 720p and 1080p.

There are several DVD/Windows Media HD players coming out, per press releases at this years CES.

Also, these same new players have dvi out and technology to uprez and convert standard DVD to 720p. All of them seem to be going for less than 300.00 US.
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #558
Trustee

If you can shoot in HD with a good camera (not the JVC HD10), then you should, and downconvert to 720x480 (btw, in resolutions usually the horizontal is put first). That will look better than if you shot in 720x480 (DV) to begin with.

The thing about the HD WM9 players is there's no standard for format or software, so we don't know yet how to make disks that will play in these players natively. Maybe they will just search the disk for WMV files, but I think there's probably more to it than that. But you can always save the HD version for the future.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #559
Regular Crew

I am happy to report that all went well. Thanks Edward, Tor, Gary, and Don for the help!
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #560
Wrangler

Problem with VCD MPG1 output

Whenever I make clips to be shown online/computer I use the VCD templates for MPG1. Oddly enough during pans I'm exhibiting a bizzar squiggly effect I never noticed before?! What could be the problem?
The original footage is 60i, made a simple selection and chose render as, switched it to NTSC VCD. Made no other changes.

Example:
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Laz...5/squiggle.mpg
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #561
Wrangler

Been doing different test the last 15 minutes or so and found out turning the video render quality up from the default "Good" to "Best".
Oddly enough if I turn it down to Preview or Draft quality it's fine- it's only "Good" that gives me the problem?!

Is this normal- must you always use "Best" to avoid graphical abnormalities during fast pans on output?! I remember Ed describing the difference between Good and Best...maybe he can elaborate one more time....plus maybe give me some insight as to why Good gave the the results I posted?!
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #562
New Boot

I don't think Videoguys actually sell the Standard Boxed Vegas 4 software anymore though it is still on their website. I called to place an order and the Gentleman I spoke to said that Sony is changing their Marketing strategy and they no longer carry it.

I purchased the Canopus ACEDVIO card bundle that comes with a full version of Vegas 4 for ~$500 from B&H. It did come with a full version of Vegas but there is no hard copy of the manual, I just downloaded the one from Sonys website and printed it out (~300 pages).
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #563
Sponsor: JET DV

There IS no hard copy of the manual. The only way it comes is in the PDF file. If you want a hard copy, you either print it or take it to someplace like Staples.
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #564
Major Player

Print to Tape Problems

I am trying to Print to Tape to my Sony TRV38 and having major problems.

I try to Print to Tape and it appears to be working but all I get is a blue screen recorded on my camera.

Any ideas? I have tried setting the AV/DV to in AND out and both don't appear to work.
I have my camera plugged into my external firewire hard drive (the same drive that has the DV file on) and the hard drive is plugged into my soundblaster audigy firewire port.

Any ideas?
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #565
Major Player

One Last Piece of the Puzzle

Everytime I think I have everything covered I find a possible hole in the production line, so to speak. I have Vegas, and a slew of DV tapes. I also have years worth of 8mm tapes. I have VHS tapes too. I also have a AG DV2000 deck--discontinued, but one heck of a sexy unit. I'd like to convert my 8mm/VHS tapes and place them into the Vegas interface, and for this I would have to add an analog converter, correct? I noticed the ads for ADVC 100/300 as being a plausible addition to make all this happen. The ads imply this, but I'd like feedback from people who have done this. Once the old tapes are incorporated into Vegas world, I then could output to tape or DVD, and that is part of the production line I have no particular question about yet. Oh yes, is the ADVC300 worth the extra $$$?

Thank you all!
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #566
Regular Crew

Barry,

You already have what you need. The DV2000 will do the Analog-Digital conversion you need without having to purchase an external converter. Just select the input you plug the camera into (either the front or back analog inputs) and it will come out digital through the FireWire connector. You can also record to DV tape (if you need a digital archive or something to recapture from in the future) or just let it go through on the fly.
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #567
Major Player

David is correct.

I have the Canopus ADVC-100. I got it a couple of years ago to replace all of the dazzle and other crap out there. It took care of all my analog to digital/digital to analog problems. It's a very impressive piece of equipment.
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #568
Sponsor: JET DV

I also have the AG-DV2000 deck. It works GREAT for what you are wanting to do. Just plug into the RCA and/or S-Video plugs on the front of the unit, press "input select" until the display reads "V2" (or video 2) and it will pass the signal straight through over the firewire to the computer. There's absolutely NO need to purchase anything else.
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #569
New Boot

We do this all the time with the TRV-38 and it is also daisy chained through an external HD. It will work.

The first thing is you need to have the pic show up in the cam. Do this by playing the Vegas timeline.

You are turning the cam on in VTR mode right?

You might start by re-booting your computer. If you have XP - it should recognize the cam when you plug it in and turn it on.
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #570
Major Player

Wow--evidently I haven't been tapping into the deck's full capabilities after so much DV-related stuff. Thanks--I now have about eight years worth of 8mm/VHS tapes to keep the deck busy. :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...