Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 28th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #571
Major Player

The weird thing is that the colour bars are being recorded to the tape and then nothing but a blue screen
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #572
Regular Crew

Frame drawing in trim window question

Well, I have a large clip that I loaded in my trim window... I made the picture smaller (so I can see more of the video left and right) with ctrl+shift+cursor... but...

The problem is, when you drag that horizontal scrollbar of the trim window left and right, Vegas is drawing frames only when you RELEASE the scrollbar... So, it makes a little bit difficult when searching for some particular part of the clip.
You need to drag, and then to release the scrollbar and wait for vegas to draw frames...
I looked into preferences but I saw nothing...

Is there any way Vegas can draw and display all frames interactively as you are dragging scrollbar left and right ?
Old February 28th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #573
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds more like a system problem, then. Can you try it using a standard OHCI card instead of the Audigy? Or maybe update the drivers on the Audigy?
Old February 28th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #574

I'm capturing a VHS tape through that deck right now. With 2 analog ins and two analog outs, it's VERY flexible. Just remember you have to press the "input select" button to switch between firewire and each of the analog inputs. The analog outputs are ALWAYS active.
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #575
Wrangler

No one has any idea?
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #576
Major Player

Thanks--it's certainly a wonderful piece of equipment; those who can still find any remaining units should do so.
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #577
Major Player

Another weird thing is that if I copy the file off the external drive to my internal drive and then try printing to tape it works fine??

It sucks because I don't have much free space on my internal drive.

Weird
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #578
Regular Crew

You are referring to the Trimmer?

Unfortunately, you cannot change the way the thumbnails refresh.

Gary
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #579

I can't repro this, because the machine I'm working on at the moment doesn't have a parhelia, and I'm too lazy to go to the office to fire up a parhelia machine. But I do have a parhelia in 2 of my office machines, and no problems there, plus the machine I'm working with at home has a P650 with the triple head upgrade, basicly the same as the Parhelia without the plugins for Premiere and other apps. It's a 128 meg card too. Anyway, just switched primaries on it, no troubles....
Sorry for being of no help.
http://www.vasst.com
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #580

Does your internal drive have enough room for ONLY print to tape? In other words, capture to the external drive, edit on the external drive, and do a final render to the internal drive. This would still give you the benefits of the extra drive space.
Old February 28th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #581
Major Player

Another question.

Why is Vegas re-rendering a straight DV-AVI file before printing to tape?

I didn't think it should have to do this.

What I am doing, incase you were wondering is:

I recorded a bunch of footage straight to my external hard drive. I want to archive the footage and want to just dump the DV-AVI files back to tape without any editing.

Why is Vegas taking 10 minutes or so to render before the print to tape process starts up???
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #582

You may be confusing "rendering" with creating the "w64" file for the audio.
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #583
Major Player

keyframe questions

Was wondering what happens to keyframes when the trim point of a clip is moved? Do the key frames move proportionately to the change in length, or are they pegged to the time they were set at, or? Of course I guess I could just try it and see....

Is there any way in Vegas4 to view and edit the keyframe curves directly?

thanks,
Scott
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #584
Tourist

Trimming and Editing MPEGs

Hi, I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm doing this the proper way.

I've captured some video from S-VHS straight to DVD quality MPEG using my ATI AIW 8500DV card. I set my ATI capture settings according to recommendations from LordSmurf.com ( http://www.lordsmurf.com/capture/atimpeg/atimpeg.htm ).

What I'm doing for various clips is I'll select certain portions of video in the trimmer and send them to the timeline. When I've got the video the way I want in the timeline, I select "render as...". I choose the Mainconcept MPEG-2 codec and save the file.

It seems to me it's re-encoding this MPEG, which is already at a quality I want, isn't there a way the software can just stitch up the video as I've assembled it in the timeline? Or am I going to need other software to do this?

Is it in fact "rerendering" (if that's the proper term) the MPEG? Isn't there going to be further loss of quality? How should I be doing this in Vegas?
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #585
Inner Circle

Importing text?

Last year I made a 47 minute film of a group of students performing a remake of "A Chorus Line", the musical. We shot it over one week in the summer and it took a further 12 weeks, on and off, to edit. Everyone was very pleased with the results and it gave me a great opportunity to learn and practice the whole range of skills, from storyboarding, lighting and camera work, through to 'sensible' use of filters, lip-synching and project management. I made plenty of mistakes, some of which are now glaringly obvious.

Because of this, I'd like to go back to the original footage and start again, using my now increased knowledge (and DSE's fantastic book which I bought in Dallas last week, during a 6 hour lay-over en route from Mexico to the UK).

Oh, sorry, my question . . .

Is it possible to somehow import a text file that contains the dialogue text (only) so that it appears somewhere on the timeline, for me to then edit each line into it's correct position as a region? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any tips (although I am doubtful this can be actually be done!).
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...