Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2004, 11:50 PM   #631
Regular Crew

Also, if you want to split your image so it
"reflects" on itself, there is an FX filter called Mirror.

Gary
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:48 AM   #632
Regular Crew

Academic Version

Very close to purchasing Vegas (Thanks to all who have answered my questions, and also contributed to the forums, what a wonderful knowledge base to access!).

My question: Does the academic version differ to the full version, and if so, in what way?

Obviously I'm trying to save a few dollars, but not at the risk of going half assed.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:02 AM   #633
Trustee

Hi Andy. There is no difference, other than the price.

Aaron
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:41 AM   #634
Inner Circle

With the academic version you probably can't use it for commercial use, as in anything that makes money.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:09 AM   #635
RED Code Chef

Just to be complete: both also support "dts".

If you are just using stereo sound I would probably just go with
uncompressed PCM (which does around 660 MB an hour for
48 khz [note CD is 44.1], 16 bit stereo) if you don't have the AC3
codec already. Then you can still encode the one hour video at
high bitrates. After the hour you will have to drop the video bitrate.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:15 AM   #636
Regular Crew

I purchased Vegas 4.0 using an academic discount option through efollett.com for $159. It is the full version and there are no constraints concerning end use of projects created with this software. To purchase at that price required verification of student/faculty status only.

Joseph
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:03 AM   #637
Regular Crew

This is an official Sony response to a question just like yours, i.e. EULA, functionality, etc.:

"Thank you for writing. There is no difference between the academic and non-academic versions of the software other than the pricing. Please let me know if you have any other questions."
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:19 AM   #638
Regular Crew

NTSC/Broadcast Safe Colors

I have always used the Broadcast Safe Colors filter on my Vegas projects. I, also, always just assumed it worked fine. The whites looked grey and the blacks looked lighter on the computer screen. So, I was playing around with a new "trailer" video of mine yesterday that had some really dark blues in it. I ran the the Sony Broadcast Colors filter on it with the Conservative - 7.5 IRE Setup preset. I assumed all was fine. I capped a frame from the video and was playing around in Photoshop and noticed that some of these dark blues still had some lower that "16" Red and Green values. I assumed that all RGB values would be clipped to 16 and higher. Does this sound right? Am I missing something fundamental here that I should know or am forgetting? Any insight or wisdom on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time, efforts and inputs.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #639
Regular Crew

ACK! restoring deleted clip?

By accident I deleated a clip from the 'Clip Explorer' in Sony Video Capture 4.0...how can I restore this clip?
I checked my recycle bin but alas it did not go there and it seems that there is no undo function in Video Capture 4.

Thanks in advance.

Shane
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:43 AM   #640
Sponsor: JET DV

When you delete from the video capture, you are given a few options - one of which is "delete this reference AND the file from the hard drive". If that is the option you chose, then you will have to recapture the clip.

Another option is simply to "Delete the reference". If that is the option you chose, the file is still on the hard drive and you should be able to locate it in the Vegas Explorer window.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:52 AM   #641
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward,

I right clicked on the the file in the Clip Explorer and just clicked delete, I don't think you get the "either, or" option when you do this (I would have remembered seeing that).

It looks like I need to recapture this clip after all.

When opening the project it was attached to and clicking Recapture Offline DV media; will it automatically look for that particular clip? (assuming I put the right tape in).

What a pain, I'll never do that again!

Shane
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:31 AM   #642
Wrangler

Due to the differences in display (YUV vs RGB) you can't accuratly judge your colors by a still capture in Photoshop. It's better to use the various montiors from within Vegas.

Generally though- a video still brought into Photoshop should look a bit under contrast....with it's black being around 16, and white being 235.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM   #643
Regular Crew

Ok, I recaptured my clip, cool feature that "Recapture offline media".

I can breathe easier now, heh, heh...

Thanks again Edward.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:39 AM   #644
Wrangler

I think there is an option that you can set up to prompt you on how to delete the file. On my old computer it didn't ask- on the new computer (new install) it shows the dialog Edward mentioned.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM   #645
Regular Crew

I didn't even think about the colospace difference. My workflow typically does not follow this path and it just caught my attention as being out of the norm.

The actual blacks and whites were definitely within 16-235. Just the dark blues showed this "problem." Colorspace conversion errors at their finest I guess. :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...