Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 45 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:34 PM   #661
Regular Crew

Dive in or Wait?

Hi Guys!

I'm going to get Vegas, it's just a matter of when. So....

Should I wait and hold out for the release of Vegas 5.0? Being a fairly new user of NLE, will I need the features of 5.0? Also, any ideas on Pricing on 5.0, and will I be justified spending the extra (assuming it is more costly) on Ver 5.0?

From what I read here, Vegas 4.0 will do me, but who knows where this will lead me.

So, next question. With the immenent release of Vegas 5.0, is Vegas 4.0 likely to drop in price, or is it likely to disappear altogether?

So, dive in or wait?

Thanks in advance for your imput all.

Andy
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:24 PM   #662
Major Player

I would imagine it will drop in price, like all other 'older version' products. Vegas 4.0 can do ANYTHING you will possibly need to accomplish. If you are a fulltime stident (or know any wink wink) you can get a nice Vegas 4.0 package for $258.00 (Including DVD Architect, Vision 1 series and Acid 4.0).

Why wait? Who knows what will be new or different about it. COuld be some interface changes, new shortcuts or a few ehancements. Might even require a lil more power in the computer.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:30 PM   #663
Major Player

Try doing a pre-render. This will give you a better look at your footages when using transistions or fx.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM   #664
Inner Circle

Sony let the cat out of the bag so you can find out about Vegas 5 over at their forums.

Quote:
Should I wait and hold out for the release of Vegas 5.0? Being a fairly new user of NLE, will I need the features of 5.0? Also, any ideas on Pricing on 5.0, and will I be justified spending the extra (assuming it is more costly) on Ver 5.0?
1- wait? no.
2- need new features? no. network rendering isn't much and neither is keyboard mapping (not useful to you now).
3- It doesn't look like any big features are coming out that Vegas 4 doesn't already have. But check the press release to be sure...

Vegas 4 is already very powerfuly and stable, it should be excellent for you and you'll be able to get things done with it.
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #665
New Boot

Thank you to DVi for rumor policy & professionalism...

Jeff Donald, Edward Troxel, & DVi...

What a day, huh? I just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate both the rumor policy at DVi and the way you two handled yourselves today with this Vegas 5 thing. You were professional and courteous with your replies... not always an easy thing to do.

As one of the people who got a post pulled when I asked why the Sony news release didn't work, it confused me for a second... but, instead of getting upset about it, I just read Jeff's posts explaining the situation and I can fully understand why my post was pulled.

And as far as rumors are concerned... some of this DV equipment costs a stinkin' lot of money and I personally don't want to read a post on here, spend my money on something and then find out it was information based on a hunch or a guess. So, thanks for the policy... I would hate to have to filter through figments and facades to find facts. Alliteration... you gotta love it!

Much praise to you people for your policy and professionalism in the path of public probing and potentially pessimistic posts.

Peace~

Jeff
Old March 4th, 2004, 02:33 AM   #666
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Jeff,

The way I like to explain this, is that discussing rumors is pointless and actually sometimes worse than useless. We're an information site, not a rumor site.

There are a lot of rumor sites out there, and heh, we're not competing with them. The way we like to look at it is that there will be plenty of informative discussions right here when the new info becomes official.

Until then, just remember: those who will know, can't tell. Those who will tell, don't know. Always do the right thing!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #667
Major Player

Will a D-Link pci firewire card work with Vegas 4

Thanks

Vince
vince.debart@9news.com
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #668
RED Code Chef

This one?

As long as the/a card is OHCI compliant and supports your OS
then, yes, it should work just fine. The card I linked to supports
OHCI so should be no problem at all.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #669
Major Player

thanks Rob

Vince
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #670
Sponsor: JET DV

Jeff and All,

Sorry for all of the confusion yesterday. It was tough trying to keep things in an orderly manner. I definitely want to see discussions on wants for new products, what new products will offer (once true official notices are given and there are no longer NDA restrictions), and anything else related to the Vegas + DVD and associated line. However, it seemed appropriate to pull what became "rumor" because all supporting documentation had been eliminated. Please accept my appologies.

Edward
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #671
Sponsor: JET DV

Seminars by Gary Kleiner on Vegas+DVD

Seminars will be on Vegas and DVD Architect, plus I am open to suggestions.

Tour will start the last week in April. If you are interested in having me come to your area, or would like to make suggestions for seminar topics, please e-mail me at VegasEditing@aol.com.

Best Regards,
Gary Kleiner
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #672
Regular Crew

Academic Version

Still here, you've convinced me, I'm diving in.

Now all I need is someone who'll ship the acedemic version to Australia.

Any body know of anyone?

Cheers,

Andy
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #673
Major Player

www.dvdirect.com

I ordered a non academic version from them via internet and shipped it to Europe. No problems at all.

Peter Sieben
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #674
Regular Crew

FCP->Vegas

I am an editor thoroughly familiar with FCP.

I've got an offer to teach Vegas to novices.

Is Vegas similar to FCP? Could I become fluent in a week or two?

Also, isn't one version better to edit HD (Vegas or Vegas+DVD)? Though maybe I should ask this in the HD forum.

Thanks,
Elmer
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #675
Inner Circle

Quote:
Is Vegas similar to FCP? Could I become fluent in a week or two?
Vegas made no freaking sense to me coming from FCP. I'd probably start off with the vegas short cuts stickied in this forum.

Both programs do mostly the same thing though. Vegas however has excellent audio editing capabilities and some nice color correction capabilities (curves, 3-way CC, saturation adjust, secondary color corrector are all good filters plus the scopes).
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...