Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 10th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #61
Wrangler

I'll second what Rob says about info on combining effects and filters.
Old January 11th, 2004, 02:50 AM   #62
Major Player

the "Trimmer" function- am I retarded?

Ive been trying to figure out what the "trimmer" function actually does, and im stumped.

What does it to?
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #63
Regular Crew

When I first started using Vegas, I wondered the same thing. I would pull my clips in and chop them up (trim them) on the timeline.

I then figured out that by using the trimmer, you can pull in footage from EXPLORER or your media bins direct to trimmer. Select frames/segment you want, right click Add media "F"rom cursor or Add media "To" cursor. You can select video track or audio track or both. It's more efficient.
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #64
Major Player

And you can save your markers with the footage, so next time you open it they are still there.
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:13 AM   #65
Old Boot

Yeah . . The Trimmer! - It is very useful. Depending on the project I'm doing and where I'm at in the project I use the trimmer to select a clip from the t/l, open in trimmer, "sweep" over the near enough section/piece I want and copy both back to the t/l. I use it as a Quick 'n Dirty way to get out that which I want. It's fast and furious. What this means for me is that I can have the t/l section untouched - I don't fiddle about with what's up there - and have a separate clip in the trimmer to spend time on getting what I want. I do a lot of "cutaways" using the audio of one clip to keep going while the second - trimmer piece - is used as the cutaway. Yes the Regions are excellent, but use the Explorer Window to search for these regions.

As I said, it depends on the project. I don't believe using technology unless I need it. If it don't feel easy, I don't use it. IF it makes my life easier, then okay!

Hope this helps,

Grazie
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #66
Major Player

Reduce echo? Acoustic Mirror? Mr. DSE? Anyone?

I did a search, here and there...
It all led me to a post in other forum explaining how to do it using Acoustic Mirror, and here is what is says:

---- >>>> (From Creative Cows)
Name: DSE
Date: Dec 1, 2002 at 05:43 gmt
Subject: Re: DSE - Acoustic Mirror

1. Save a chunk (less than 12 seconds) of ambient space with no speaking/ other noise from the avi file, as a wav file. In other words, extract 12 seconds or less worth of ambience where there is no talking. Longer/smoother sections are best, but can't exceed 12 seconds. I don't know why

2. Open the file you want to fix in forge or Vegas. Select all areas you want to fix..

3. Duplicate the 'bad' track, or use MIX in Forge after doing the next steps. Invert the phase

4. Open Acoustic Mirror, browse for the wav file you created. Apply it to the media you want.

5. Hit "preview" in Forge's MIX, or just play in Vegas. Start to adjust the blend of the wet and dry sound til you hear a decent blend of ambience.

6. You may need to shift the track exactly one waveform so that when track one is going up, track two is going down at the same time. .....
---->>>>>>

Now, maybe it´s my english, or just I´m plain dumb... but I don´t get the step number 3. Exactly when do I invert the phase?

And about number 6, well.. that one´s over my head... anyone care to explain to a slow person?

I´ve tried the process (not sure if doing right) and I don´t seem to get any good results at all.. (I guess not doing it right)...
I´m actually getting better results playing with the EQ... but I´d still want to know If I can Improve or makeup a little more those horrible echoes..
Old January 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #67
Trustee

Haaaallllp!

Please tell me what I am doing wrong!

I captured interlaced video and set all the project properties and options to de-interlace and progressive scan. I even rendered out to progressive scan and the footage still looks interlaced!

The bottom of the preview screen indicates "P" so I know that it accepted my settings by why in the world does it still look interlaced when I watch it on a monitor? I'm using Vegas 4.0e upgraded from the Sony website.
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #68
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

your original clips are interlace.
you want to make them progressive.
you rendered the clips in Vegas by clicking on CUSTOM then put field order to NONE (progressive) ...
and now when you view on computer monitor you still see interlace artifacts on edges.

try a small test .. in the project properties ( file- properties) look to see which deinterlace method it is using .. you want to use BLEND ... now render , remember to change the filed order to none (progressive)
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #69
Trustee

I did use blend, as opposed to interpolate, right? I did use blend because somebody else said to do that as well. No such luck. I believe the three choices are BLEND, INTERPOLATE and INTERLACE, right? You don't think there's something wrong with the software, do you?
Old January 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #70
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

OK try another test - right click on the the clip ( video track) in Vegas TL - properties - check the box "reduce interlace flicker "
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Unsightly spot removale?

Hello folks, Im editing a music video and there are these bright white spots on the walls in the background. Is there any way to blur them out, or turn them dark green( the background color) The tricky part is that the singer moves infront of it at times. I have a jpeg showing a good example, but I dont know how to post it on here.

Michael Estepp
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #72
Sponsor: JET DV

Is the color unique enough that you could use the Secondary color correcton to change it's color?
Old January 13th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #73
Regular Crew

the color is bright white, its in a dark green wall in the background.
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #74
RED Code Chef

I think step 3 is just copying the 12 seconds to fill the same
length as your main audio track. Then after that he inverts the
track (I think in Vegas you do this: right-click on the audio track
and go down Switches and choose Invert Phase).

He is probably inverting it so to cancel out those samples in
your main track or something.

I think step 6 is basically to change the phase difference between
the tracks (which should happen if you move one in the other
direction than the other) to try and increase the cancellation.

That would be my guess from reading this all, but I ain't exactly
an audio guru so I also notified a friend of mine to take a look
at this thread.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #75
Trustee

I will give that a try. Thank you. I'll let you know if it works.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...