Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 51 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #751
New Boot

Help! Uncompressed!?

Is there any way to export UNCOMPRESSED video back to tape? I own the DVX-100 and the "NTSC DV" codec Vegas provides is really effecting the quality of my images - espcially when viewed on a television. The uncompressed video on my computer monitor looks much sharper than the "compressed" version that I print to tape and view on my flatscreen TV. I shoot and edit in 24p advanced mode.

Thanks! Please help me out, this is urgent, I need to deliever this video!

-Matt
Old March 13th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #752
Inner Circle

You can't do that (if mastering to DV tape).

Why don't you try fixing why your footage looks bad? It might just be a format conversion messing everything up (NTSC vs PAL, 720X486 vs 720X480) or that your signal chain from deck to TV isn't very sharp.
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #753
Sponsor: JET DV

To Print To Tape, Vegas must convert the signal to DV. However, the footage you are capturing from the DVX will be in DV format already.

Have you read the Vegas 24p whitepaper?
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #754

Just for a test, can you borrow his camera and try capturing his tapes from there?
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #755
Major Player

Well you see, he already did capture all his tapes but for some reason his captured files crash Windows media player on mine and his computer, so he asked me to try and capture the tapes with my camera.

So it really has to be something with the tape.

But also remember I can capture these tapes no problem with DVIO.
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #756

Do the files crash Vegas? What if you re-rendered from Vegas?
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #757
Major Player

The files don't crash vegas and I can render to DV-AVI and play them back fine.

Very weird.

I guess it isn't a really big deal, just very weird.
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #758
Major Player

Architect-Single file

Hello all,

so far I have made several DVD's in Architect, that have been menu based.. and it works quite well.. But hoping for nice upgrade in Architect 2.0
anyway one thing I have not done, is burn a DVD with the single video file option.. Instead of burning a DVD for the sake of it.. I am asking those that have used this option..When you put the DVD in a TV setop type DVd player.. does it just launch into video?/ is there a menu with a single icon??/ what happens on a DVD player in a computer?? Do you need to use mycomputer , look at DVD drive and double click on the filename?/ or does it launch itself??

thanks in advance

mike

one thing I would like to see in Architects new version, is when you click on a menu , it would be nice to have a small audi file paly, amybe a sound effect and even a small transition type video clip to launch you into the selected piece.. not sure what this is offically called in DVD Authoring jargon.. but have seen it on commercial DVD's..
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #759

When making a "Single Movie" DVD, you insert the DVD into the player, the movie will automatically start (with NO menus of any sort) and play to the end and stop.
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #760
Trustee

Dreamy Effect

I'm looking for ideas on how to create a "dreamy
effect". What I need this for is a situation
where the person is thinking back to something
that went on previously, so I need this effect to
show that the events being thought about
are not really happening; they're just a
flashback. I've thought about maybe using
a soft black border, or maybe a soft blur, or
both. Maybe a glow effect? I'm looking for other (better) options.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #761
New Boot

Targa, Tiff ect sequences

Hi all,

Can you render out Targa, Tiff, BMP, JPEG ect sequences out of Vegas?

Thank you..

-- Ooops, just downloaded the demo and just found it! Yes, it can it seems..
Old March 13th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #762

You can:
Put a mask over the video, using a large cookie cutter circle or oval. Apply quite a bit of feathering to this.
Then apply a slight spherize filter to the video beneath the mask. apply a tiny amount of blur, and slightly desaturate the colors.
If you want to get even more creative, find a little footage of water, use the displacement map to make the video image 'wavy' while the dream is taking place. Between the wavy, the blur, and the diffused cookie cutter mask, it will convey the concept well.
There are myriad ways of doing this, but thought I'd throw one of them out there.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #763

You can save a series of PNG or JPG using a script. You can also frameserve to another program such as VirtualDub which should let you do some other formats as well.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #764
Regular Crew

Messed up preference menu

i have a problem with my preferance menu and prehaps other issues i have yet to find in vegas 4.0e prehaps some of you can help me out.

my preferance menu apears to be too small (width wise) and i cant seem to resize it. for example if selecting the video tab the part that says "prefered video capture aplication....then it list the location yet i cant change it because the right hand side where the clickable buton should be is cut off. again it's as if the preferance window needs to be resized to the right about 3 inches but i cant resize it at all.

if there is anyway to fix this someone please help. there are a lot of setting i cant seem to change because of this problem.

ADDED: i just checked project properties tab and it seems to be the same case. the pop-up is a set size and i cant change it or scroll down. this one cuts off right in the middle of the "Free storage space" i can only see half the letters and nothing below it.

this is a strage problem, i just started working with vegas and hadn't noticed the problem until i purchased Douglas spotted eagle's workshop book (excellent book btw) and i needed to change a setting.

*crosses fingers* hopes someone has a solution.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #765
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

somethings must be set up wrong somewhere in your system.
your original tapes were shot using dvx100 .. the data is then transferred to your hard drive. the IMAGE can't get any better. if you then render out a uncompressed avi or QT it is NOT going to be any better then the original... infact just to view a uncompressed video in Vegas to see the quality of uncompressed you would need to have preview set to BEST full and that takes up alot of CPU ... if you then go out to NTSC Vegas must convert the uncompressed back into a compressed dv file ( use BEST FULL in Vegas preview) .

are you just comparing your dv tape on the NTSC TV to your uncompressed clip on your computer screen ? perhaps your computer display is sharper then your NTSC ? is the NTSC TV set up to SMPTE color bars ? is your computer monitor set to bars ?
how does the rendered NTSC DV clip look on your computer monitor when you compare it to the uncompressed clip ?

in Vegas do you have ignore 3rd party codec's checked .. by any chance have you ever had any pinnacle NLE's on your computer?

when you render in Vegas do you have rendering quality set to good or BEST ? set it to BEST ..

i see you shoot & edit in 24pA .. when you render to NTSC DV which pull down are you using ? 2:3 or 2:3:3:3 ?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...