Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 14th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #766
Inner Circle

Well if you incorporate computer generated elements (like titles) then technically you can benefit from uncompressed. But then you need to export to a format then benefits from uncompressed and the quality difference isn't much.
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #767
New Boot

Thank you Edward...even png! Might be vegas for me soon!
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #768
RED Code Chef

If you are new to Vegas I'm wondering why you are trying the
3.0 version instead of the 4.0 version?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #769
Sponsor: JET DV

I'm afraid you'll really need to contact Tech Support on this one. I've never heard or seen it happen.

The only *possible* solution I can think of: are you using large fonts? If yes, try using a standard font instead.
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #770
RED Code Chef

Are you perhaps running with some off font size? Or perhaps have
the default font size set to LARGE or EXTRA LARGE instead of
NORMAL? You can check this out by right-clicking on an empty
space on your desktop and then select properties. This will get
you in to the display properties screen. Font size can be found
under the Appearance tab.

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #771
Regular Crew

i was doing some research on this last night and trying verious things to try and fix it, i realized that prehaps the problem isn't vegas at all.

i started checking other programs on my computer and seen the problem elsewhere. some pop-up menus will not have a scroll bar and cannot be resized.

so it has to be something wrong with windows or a program i installed recently changed a setting or messed something up in the registry.

im happy it isn't vegas, but i can tell this isn't goig to be an eazy thing to fix.

i'll keep you guys updated.
Old March 14th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #772
RED Code Chef

Which OS are you running? Try installing the latest service pack
again. If that doesn't help you might need to install the OS from
scratch...

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #773
Old Boot

System Restore .. ?

You got a System Restore option?

I've often had to use this just to "get-back" to a set up I liked . . this would have been the result of loading a programme that was going South . . quickly too ...

System Restore? / . . gotta be worth a Punt ..

Grazie
Old March 14th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #774
Major Player

These are good suggestions. Especially if you want to use the effect several times in the same video. The altered form will immediately identify the sequence and link it to the previous installment.
However, a cruder and simpler method could be to treat the sequence as a PIP (picture in picture). Start it as small as you can on the person's forehead (you may have to fade it in over a few frames to make it look like it's zooming from infinity) and zoom it rather quickly out to cover the entire frame.
Alternative: crossfade to the sequence via a short ultrafast pan.

You see, you are talking about two things: Dreaming and thinking back. Spot's suggestions creates the air of someone dreaming, falling asleep, or under the influence of a drug. But thinking back usually creates crystal sharp images (or as happens with me sometimes: total blackness). So you need a signal saying you are shifting the "present" time. But you need not make the entire sequence any different from the "other present" time. Mechanical things have been used to achieve this: clocks spinning backwards, leves falling off a calendar etc.
Sounds, too, could be used for this.

Edit: Just occurred to me: The leaves falling off the calendar would have to be reversed to make sense. But that would send a very obvious signal - perhaps too obvious?
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #775
Major Player

I donīt know if you have allready shot the scenes...
But one method I like is just simply going black and white or very desaturated (maybe a little blur) and also add an opposite camera movement style than the "real time".
For example, if you have a very smooth pans, travellings, steady shots on your "real time".. on the dream-flashback go for a handheld effect...

I think itīs more subtle.. but of course the degree of subtleness will depend on whatever you need for your story.
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #776
Major Player

Curvy fade line after deleting parts?

Hello, I just got Vegas 4.0 and using it. I overall like the product, but there are some things I've tried looking over and over but can't figure it out! Now, what I do normally is just drag the whole clip onto the timeline, then edit there by deleting the clips I don't want and then dragging them next to each other. If I want a transition, I just drag it over and it should auto-crossfade, but my question is, whenever I delete any clips and then I zoom into that the end/beginning of that clip, there will be a blue curvy line and you can set the "fade offset". Now I messed around and made the fade offset at different times and different lengths, then replayed the footage, I saw no difference. What does this fade offset do? It seems to be automatic and not doing anything. I can make it longer too by extending the blue line and different shapes...
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #777
Major Player

Question about color corrector diagram

I'm a little confused about the whole color correction. I tried messing around but I get lost every time I do this. How do I get that color correction diagram to appear? Each time I drag like the Video FX "Color Corrector" to the whole piece, I get the color corrector screen, but sometimes I get the color corrector diagram options with the two circles where you can set gamma, brightness, saturation, etc.... also on the timeline, what are the bluish tick marks that appear on the corners of every clip? I got them after messing around with the color corrector and now I can't get rid of it!
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #778
Major Player

a co worker had 3.0 and I wanted to se if I could in fact edit video on this computer if so I would buy 4.0

Thanks

Vince
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #779
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

YES ! titles ... forgot about them - and color text especially benifits from uncompressed clips and then rendering to the formats you need..

if i'm using alot of color text titles i'll render out the final project r to a intermediate format ( QT- using microcosms codec ( cost $) 4:4:4 , if short project then uncompressed avi) then from that i'll render out a ntsc DV avi for tape, a mpeg 2 for DVD and WMV 9 etc i have found that the color titles hold up much better for DVD rendering from the uncompressed clip VS rendering the mpeg from the dv.avi. it is not as big of difference on white text but red/blue etc it makes a big difference.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #780
Sponsor: JET DV

If you are dragging the color correction FX to the event multiple times, you will have multiple instances of the FX added to that media. To get the effects screens back, you either need to go to the end of the clip and click on the FX button or right click the clip and choose the proper option. You can then work with the original FX instead of adding more.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...