Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 67 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #991
Inner Circle

NTSC 29.97 FPS 720X480. Thats what your camera is set to do.
As you improve your camera and editing abilities you can play with the other settings but for now use the "stock" settings and you'll have some super video to show everyone.

Best of Luck,
Don B.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #992
Inner Circle

If doing cuts only edl, getting the Black Magic codecs isn't needed. If rendering back out to tape, then by all means get them. DigiBeta is 10bit and the 10bit codecs from Black Magic support that. Besides, 10bit color is a DVD spec too (hint, hint).

Kudos to BM for being so generous.

Good luck.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #993
Inner Circle

Thanks for this link Edward.

RotoMate was just what I was looking for!

I second your advice about reading the user guide and looking at the sample files. This isn't the most intuitive app I've encountered! And despite reading and re-reading the user guide, I'm still unclear about how to get RotoMate to interpolate between keyframes. I'll get there.

I'm sure the DebugMode forum will be buzzing any time now . . .

As a side note, while I was at the DebugMode site I downloaded FrameServer - something I had been reluctant to do as I was not entirely clear on what exactly it was for or why I would need it.

Now I know. Outstandingly useful!

Thanks again.
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #994
Inner Circle

I'm no expert in PTT as most of what I do is destined for viewing through a browser, however it strikes me that your problem is not to do with the video settings but with getting the data out of Vegas and back onto tape.

Are there any other apps running at the same time as the PTT? I had problems once (going the other way, ie during capture) when my virus checker kicked in during the capture and caused unpleasant frame dropping!

I believe I have also read people's experiences of frames dropping when Outlook polls for new mail.

I seem to have an issue with an external firewire drive - it doesn't cause dropouts, it trashes PTT completely!

I also found a thread that suggested that the GL2 doesn't release control of the firewire bus, ie that it isn't the firewire drive but the GL2 that's causing the problem. The links are here : http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...5&pagenumber=2.

Anyway, I'd be inclined to first check out the possibility of other apps interrupting the process. I'm sure there are more knowledgable people here that may be able to offer further insight.

Good luck.
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #995
Sponsor: JET DV

You're capturing standard NTSC-DV - leave your project at normal NTSC-DV (29.97). Don't worry about the wide variety of options until you learn more. For now, just capture and print using the standard format.

Now to the problem: you say it stutters upon recording back to tape. Did it capture fine (no dropped frames during capture)? It stutters using Tools - Print Video to DV Tape?

Unfortunately, there's LOTS of things that can be checked and 95% of them deal with your system - not Vegas. Here's something you can try, though. Render the entire project out to a single DV-AVI file and then try printing that file. Did that work better?

Without knowing a LOT more about your system, it's going to be really hard to try and diagnose much.
Old March 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #996
Tourist

.net error when using scripts in Vegas 4.0

I am trying to use a few scripts that I downloaded, but each time that I try I get the message "Failed to initialize script engine. Please install the .NET framework"

I have downloaded all of the windows updates that there are, and I have even tried just installing the .NET framework from Microsoft but with no avail. I have uninstalled Vegas, then installed the .NET and reinstalled Vegas, but it is still not working.

If there is anyone that could help me with this, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #997
New Boot

I have closed out everything I can find so there is nothing that I can see running in the background. Actually I do all the editing on my main computer which has a 336 Celeron chip. I know not to fast by todays standards. But I am networked to another computer in the house that has a AMD 1.2 Gig chip. All the files are stored on the faster computer and I do the final render and print back to tape from that machine. It is quite possible there is something in that 1.2 PC that is running that I am not aware of but I thought I would ask if I had the preferences right when importing the media to do the editing and the correct preferences for the final render and print to tape. Once I had the correct preferences selected I could rule out that as a cause. There is one of these two computers that is trying to dial my internet connection with out me doing anything but I have not found which PC or app is trying to dial up. Possibly this could be the trouble.

<<<-- Originally posted by Ian Stark : I'm no expert in PTT as most of what I do is destined for viewing through a browser, however it strikes me that your problem is not to do with the video settings but with getting the data out of Vegas and back onto tape.

Are there any other apps running at the same time as the PTT? I had problems once (going the other way, ie during capture) when my virus checker kicked in during the capture and caused unpleasant frame dropping!

I believe I have also read people's experiences of frames dropping when Outlook polls for new mail.

I seem to have an issue with an external firewire drive - it doesn't cause dropouts, it trashes PTT completely!

I also found a thread that suggested that the GL2 doesn't release control of the firewire bus, ie that it isn't the firewire drive but the GL2 that's causing the problem. The links are here : http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...5&pagenumber=2.

Anyway, I'd be inclined to first check out the possibility of other apps interrupting the process. I'm sure there are more knowledgable people here that may be able to offer further insight.

Good luck. -->>>
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #998
New Boot

Hi Ed: Ya everything looks good up until the time when I print back to tape. When I view it during the editing stage everything plays normal, all the titiles and sound is all fine and no dropped frames. Then I render the whole thing to a single avi file before I print to DV Tape. After i print to tape I check it on the TV with the camera hooked up and sometimes I get a spit second blue screen and the sound will be missing some small pieces and it looks like it cuts off a frame her and there as it seems to be through out the tape in different spots along the way. It seems to capture just fine as everything is there audio and video. I am sure as well that it has to be something in the machine that is the cause but I was getting confused on the different templates from reading some of the posts. I thought I read in the Vegas help to work in NTSC DV 24p (720x480, 23.976 fps) as well. I will try and go into msconfig and systematically shut everything down I can think of. As I replied in a previous post to another fellow I do all the editing on my slower computer which has a 366 celeron chip but the final render and print to tape I do on the faster computer which is a Compact AMD 1.2 GHZ with a 120 gig hard drive. The only thing I can think of is something is interupting the process. I just have to track it down but though I would check and see if my preferences were correct. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate the forum. Good place to learn.

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : You're capturing standard NTSC-DV - leave your project at normal NTSC-DV (29.97). Don't worry about the wide variety of options until you learn more. For now, just capture and print using the standard format.

Now to the problem: you say it stutters upon recording back to tape. Did it capture fine (no dropped frames during capture)? It stutters using Tools - Print Video to DV Tape?

Unfortunately, there's LOTS of things that can be checked and 95% of them deal with your system - not Vegas. Here's something you can try, though. Render the entire project out to a single DV-AVI file and then try printing that file. Did that work better?

Without knowing a LOT more about your system, it's going to be really hard to try and diagnose much. -->>>
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #999

Uninstall Vegas and Reinstall Vegas

In a few cases, Vegas must be installed AFTER the .NET framework.
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #1000

Are you trying to print files over a network???

Assuming you are not trying that, SOMETHING is stealing CPU cycles somewhere. Try turning off all networking, any USB devices, anything else you can think of, and verify that DMA is active on the hard drives.
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #1001
New Boot

Print to tape over network

Oopps Sorry Ed I posted a rely for you as a new post instead of right here. Here it is again:

No I just use the network to bring the main media files into Vegas on the older computer for editing purposes. It seems to be fine for editing on the Celeron 366. I run Vegas 4 on both machines. All the media files are stored on the larger computer then I import them from that computer do the editing and save the project on the faster computer. Then when I am done I go and open the saved file on the faster machine and then proceed to render it right there and then once rendered I comense to Print To DV Tape. I am not actually sure if I am getting the problems during the render process or the print to tape process. But those two stages are done on the faster machine. I suppose either way if something on that faster machine is causing the trouble I will have to isolated the trouble. I will check the items you mentioned. I am going to leave both machines idle for a spell and try and pinpoint which one is trying to access the modem unintentionaly. Maybe the trouble could be with that..

Learning more each minute.
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #1002
Tourist

I did a complete uninstall of Vegas and also Architect, then installed the .NET framework, then reinstalled Vegas and Architect, but it still didn't work. I'm not sure what to do now.
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #1003

I would say that you are getting the problem during the PTT (NOT the render). It sounds like the communications over the over the firewire port is being interrupted periodically (which explains both the blue video sections and lack of sound in the same sections).

As I said before, first eliminate any obvious things that may be stealing CPU cycles. Make sure the drive is defragged. By chance, do you have a VIA chipset? If yes, try updating the drivers and/or testing a different firewire card. Turn OFF networking during the PTT process.
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #1004

I've never heard of that happening. Your next step will have to be contacting Tech Support. Worst cases I've heard of to this point has been solved by an uninstall/reinstall.
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #1005
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

1) do not try to PTT from TL with project properties set for 23.97 ...

2) make sure ALL media for project is on the computer you are using to PTT ..

check the drive space where you store vegas temp , pre render, & audio temp folders ..

are you rendering the project as 24p and adding pull down ?

"There is one of these two computers that is trying to dial my internet connection with out me doing anything but I have not found which PC or app is trying to dial up. Possibly this could be the trouble.":

track this down .. could be a app checking for a update , or could be ??
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...