Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 68 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #1006
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

by any chance are you using a "crack code" version of XP or win2K ?? or Vegas ?
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #1007
Regular Crew

Can some one help me with a Chroma keyer problem?

I purchase some background animation online to make an opening for my wedding video. The animation has a wedding album that start flying from top down then it open up revealing a blank green screen. I know I suppose to some how take that green away and replace it with my own clip but I don't know how.

In Vegas 4, I put the animation background on track1, then my clip on track 2 but don't know what else to do to make the two combine so that when the album open up it shows my own clip.

Can some one kindly help me on this?
Thanks in advance
AP
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #1008
Sponsor: JET DV

Add the Chroma Key effect to the clip, pick that green color as the color to be keyed, and the green should disappear. You may have to resize or rotate the clip on track 2 to fit properly in the green area.
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #1009
Regular Crew

Edward, for your final project that is done this way, do you combine the rendered clips, or do you copy/paste the events from each "sub-project" into the master project and render it?

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : One thing I frequently do is work on sections in different projects, render each section separately, and then compile a final project consisting of those sections. -->>>
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #1010
Major Player

Let's say you have a simple, 1 segment project, with a title section.

First do the title section with all of the effects and layers etc. . . render that out to DVAVI and save it. Then start a new segment with your main body, fades, transitions etc. . . render that to DVAVI and save it.

Then take the two, already rendered to DVAVI, clips and put them together in the order that you want. You get them into your final project with the media tab, find the avi file and import them just like you would a photo or video clip, or music. Throw them on the timeline like you want them and cook.

You can do this with as many segments as you want. My current project has a title, 3 main body segments, closing credits. I will have a total of 5 AVI segments to put together. It renders out to DVD very quickly this way.

There is no need for all of the copying and pasting.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #1011
Tourist

No, I have the full version of both Win XP Home, and Vegas 4.0. The only thing that I can think is maybe since I have my opperating system on the C drive and Vegas on another drive maybe it isn't finding it.

Oh well, I guess I will have to break down and contact Vegas Support. I've never called them before, so maybe it won't cost me anything the first time.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #1012
Regular Crew

Hi Harry,

This looks like a good approach for, as you say, a simple project. Mine tend to get complex with 5.1 audio tracks and some complex transitions between the segments. However, I grow weary of having to regenerate the entire project to fix one glitch in one segment. Here is what I am thinking of trying for my next project. I would appreciate your thoughts on this:

1. Create all segments in one project, but ensure each segment is on its own set of tracks.
2. Then, I would render each segment separately to it's own AVI and WAVs.
3. Next, I would place the rendered AVIs and WAVs on their own tracks within the same project, adding transitions as needed.
4. Finally I would turn off all tracks except the tracks containing the rendered content, and render to MPG.

The advantage I see to this is everything is neatly packaged in a single project, yet I can rerender individual segments, and then quickly create a new MPG. The disadvantage: according to a recent dialog in the Sony forums, rendering to AVI first rather than directly from the timeline to MPG causes some quality loss.

Your thoughts?

<<<-- Originally posted by Harry Settle : Let's say you have a simple, 1 segment project, with a title section.

First do the title section with all of the effects and layers etc. . . render that out to DVAVI and save it. Then start a new segment with your main body, fades, transitions etc. . . render that to DVAVI and save it.

Then take the two, already rendered to DVAVI, clips and put them together in the order that you want. You get them into your final project with the media tab, find the avi file and import them just like you would a photo or video clip, or music. Throw them on the timeline like you want them and cook.

You can do this with as many segments as you want. My current project has a title, 3 main body segments, closing credits. I will have a total of 5 AVI segments to put together. It renders out to DVD very quickly this way.

There is no need for all of the copying and pasting. -->>>
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1013

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Argo : No, I have the full version of both Win XP Home, and Vegas 4.0. The only thing that I can think is maybe since I have my opperating system on the C drive and Vegas on another drive maybe it isn't finding it. -->>>

Installed on different drives should NOT be a problem. Is there in entry in the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs for "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1"? I think you're definitely going to have to talk to Tech Support about this one.
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #1014

<<<-- Originally posted by Jerry Norman : Edward, for your final project that is done this way, do you combine the rendered clips, or do you copy/paste the events from each "sub-project" into the master project and render it? -->>>

I start a new project and add all of the RENDERED clips. No point in re-rendering everything. Plus, copy - paste can be troublesome when the number of tracks varies between projects. As long as you don't affect the clips in the new project, no rendering is required!
Old March 27th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #1015
Major Player

Yo Edward

Vince again ..I got the capture to work, cut some stuff together and did some text at the start and the end. In the editing mode when I look at it in preview it looks ok. After render and watching it in the windows media player I see little red X.s and hear audio beeps about every 5 seconds. The red X,s come up in the cuts between seines could this be a function of the 4.0 demo software so you can not use it on the cheep. I know it will not play a project over 2 min. due to demo mode thanks

Vince

Vjdebart@ispwest.com
Old March 27th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #1016
Regular Crew

.net Framework

Hi Guys.

It's coming together, and I'm getting my head around the program. Next Step: Scripts.

My Win XP Pro computer isn't connected ever to the internet. I download using a Win 98se computer, and transfer any required files to the XP PC via removable hard drive.

So:

How do I update the .NET Framework, to enable me to run scripts, when the win95 PC refuses to look for XP updates?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy
Old March 27th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #1017
Regular Crew

Yo Vince:

Yep, that's the demo version causing the 'X'.

How annoying is it? :)

I've ordered my Vegas, just waiting for the delivery.

Waiting, Waiting.
Old March 27th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #1018
Regular Crew

Edward:

Big thanks to you.
Old March 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #1019
Major Player

Thanks ..God bless ya Down Under
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #1020

Yep. Definitely a symptom of demo mode. Get everything registered and all should be fine.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...