Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 74 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:34 PM   #1096

If you turn on the task manager and watch the memory allocation in win XP Pro as it is rendering, you'll see the memory usage displayed. Unfortunately, the display shows total memory, including pagefile. When RAM is full, the system will automatically start swapping out with pagefile. Since the pagefile is really I/O from your hard drive, it's exceedingly slow. So, if you exhaust RAM, you WILL start writing to the pagefile and everything will grind to the speed of molasses. Monitor your memory useage, you'll see when, during the render process, the RAM is exceeded. As I said earlier, it's a function of what kind of rendering is going on. Some transitions and special effects really suck up RAM. For most things, you're right, but, for the few FX that really start crunching, your render time will jump up most noticeably. Agreed, 512 is the MINIMUM I would want to work with, 1 Gig is great if you can afford it, 2 Gig is the best, for those rare FX renders. PTT doesn't require rendering, this is true. but, if you render first, it'll take RAM. BTW, if you're running other programs, they all use RAM. It's possible to have all your RAM committed to other programs and none left for V4. If you have only 512 Megs of RAM, you'd better be real careful about what system utilities and services are running in the background.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM   #1097
Sponsor: JET DV

Now that we know how much you have, yes, you can probably improve some performance with more RAM.

If Vegas, you'll find you need the most need for RAM is when doing RAM Previews. For other activities such as rendering and PTT, it's only working on a limited number of frames at any one time and, therefore, doesn't require much memory.

I have one machine with 256 Meg and one with 1 Gig. Render time IS faster on the 1 Gig machine but the processor is over 4 times faster as well. For rendering and PTT, I'd look at CPU speed and drive access speed first.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM   #1098
Regular Crew

Can someone tell me were to download the script to run "WAX"?
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:44 PM   #1099
Trustee

Follow up.

Rob, thak you, I have reinstalled Directx 9 and WMP and all is working fine now! But I don't know why........
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:26 PM   #1100
Regular Crew

Thanks Randy,

I'll give it a go when I get home tonight and post tomorrow.

cheers,

Andy

P.S. Edward: I got the DOT NET Framwork happening, will be diving into scripts soon. Thanks to all and sundry for help on this one.

Also Edward, got another question to post in a few hours, if you have time would appreciate your input on that one too.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:43 PM   #1101

You mean the .NET framework? It's at www.microsoft.com
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1102
Regular Crew

Yeah i have net. framework but don't you also need scripts?
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:16 PM   #1103
Regular Crew

Scripts are part of Vegas 4. No installation required, once .NET framework is.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:20 AM   #1104
Regular Crew

Some Really Great - Vegas News !

Dear Group,

I have some really great advance news that I would like to share with you - regarding Vegas and Vegas Group Activities at NAB.

First, I would like to say that I am proud to be a Loyal Vegas User and Supporter. And, I am also very proud of Sony Pictures Digital for Their committment to Vegas and the Product Line.

This year at NAB is going to be Extra Special for Vegas Users - Sony, is showing It's Support and Appreciation to Vegas Users by Hosting a Vegas Users Informal Meeting and Gettogether at the Paris Hotel on Monday Night April 19th from 7:30 to 9:30. There will be Coctails, Hors D'oeures and Great Vegas Conversation.

Everyone, will have a chance to meet Sony Electronics and Sony Pictures Digital Management Teams, including Sales, Marketing, Product Management, Training and Engineering Personnel.

Expect the formal announcement and rsvp info from Sony, shortly.

The Vegas Presentation Area on the Exhibit Show Floor is going to blow everyone's expectations away. Sony, is going all out to show off Vegas 5 and DVDA2. You can expect a very interactive and hands on learning experience.

I am glad to have had a small part in making this happen, for all of us. And, I am ecstatic with the marketing direction that Sony Pictures Digital is Taking!

--Jay Mitchell

Southern California Vegas Users Group

Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM   #1105

There's LOTS of scripts available. I have a large list of script sites at http://www.jetdv.com/tts/forums.htm. You will find the big scripts like Excalibur, Tsunami, and Neon as well many small free scripts.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:26 AM   #1106
Major Player

Wow thanks for all the info guys… Edward what is "drive access speed"

Sorry for all the dumb questions but I am migrating to Vegas from the Casablanca Avio so I have a lot to learn, but I must say Vegas is very impressive.

Thanks to all this is a very helpful community

Vince
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:48 AM   #1107

If you look at your hard drive specs, one of the parameters they list is "Drive Access Speed" It should be in milliseconds and relates to the time it takes the read head to travel across the platter to the address where the data your trying to read is stored
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:19 AM   #1108

New VASST Training DVD

"Killer 3D Graphics and Lower Thirds" from VASST is just about ready to ship, and may be pre-ordered at a large discount for the DVInfo.net community. http://www.vasst.com/dvdproducts/cool3d.htm will get you to the site where you can watch a short stream of one of the training module sections.
With the release of Satish's brilliant WAX application, Vegas users can now import 3Ds models to the timeline without rendering, making this a great time to learn Cool 3D Production Studio.
The Sound Forge 7 DVD will also be shipping right after NAB, and we'll shortly announce another DVD we can't say much about right now.
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM   #1109
Regular Crew

External Monitor Setup

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I can somehow use my LCD FPD Monitor as an external monitor in Vegas (to replace the preview window on screen)

I have a conventional CRT monitor and an LCD Panel connected via the DVI output on my graphics card. I know that Vegas allows external monitor connection via a firewire link, but my LCD FPD doesn't have that and am currently using my Sony PC110E Camcorder to relay the firewire signal to my LCD FPD via an S-Video Connection.

Is there anyway I can connect my LCD FPD to use as an external monitor without having to use my camera to relay the signal.

I hope I'm making sense and would be grateful is somebody could offer some advice.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM   #1110
Inner Circle

You should do external previews using a TV (preferably a NTSC monitor). There are many reasons for this, including:
A- overscan/underscan
B- a TV shows interlacing.
C- color accuracy- LCDs are not very accurate compared to just any TV. Any TV will be somewhat ok, but I wouldn't trust it.
D- different color schemes- LCDs use RGB and TVs YUV. Computer colors are really illegal for television.
E- a TV has crappy speakers to check if your mix translates ok. (but don't mix on crappy speakers)

A good setup would be:
dual monitors hooked up to your computer's video card
computer hooked up via firewire to your deck/camera, and a TV or NTSC monitor hooked up to your deck/camera.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...