Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #1441
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

Thx for the input , i will remember that when i upgrade to 5. As for now though i'm still in 4.

Do you think there is something similar in 4

Thx

Phil
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #1442
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas 4 does not have a transition envelope. I'm not entirely picturing your transition but, if I understand correctly, you may be able to duplicate the transition using Track Motion and/or Pan/Crop.
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #1443
Regular Crew

Thx Ed ,

I do manage to get something moving with the tracking tool.

Now I added some text that appears over the jpeg and stays on it for as long as we will see it.

The problem is , is that i added a text media that ,of course , stay put while the JPEG moves around because of the tracking tool that i applied.

Is there a way to merge them together so the will move at the same time or is it faster to create 2 JPEG , one with the text and one without .

Thx guys
Old April 26th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #1444
Regular Crew

Pan / Crop and the slingshot effect

Well.... 3 postings in 24h that breaks my record HIHIHI !!!

Ok now on to more serious , i finally manage to understand and make the P/C tool works well..... not 100% but here it goes.

I got a jpeg that i am moving around , so i create keyframes with 2 sec intervals.

Now when i play the movie the picture moves in the corrct direction but on the halfway mark it backtracks and comes back to his original position creating the "slingshot" effect.

Tried to fiddle around with the "move freely" and create many KF but it always comes back to it's original point instead of going the way it is suppose to be going

Any ideas !!!

Thx guys
Old April 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #1445

Yes. Apply the same tracking motion to the text track as well.
Old April 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #1446

When you set multiple keyframes, you set them all in the ORIGINAL position. So, when you changed the second keyframe, it moved from the original position to the position specified in the second keyframe and then back to the original position set by the third keyframe. I don't preset keyframes - I just add them to set new positions.
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #1447
Regular Crew

Hi Ed so let's see if i understand you correctly:

What i do is i create one KF go 2 seconds further apply the move and move on to 2 sec later to create another KF and so on...

I f i understood you correctly do you want me to create all KF at once and move them to the point whre i want to.

btw what should we do with the first KF , should i use it as the first point of movement or should should i keep it there at the beginning of the event.

Thx
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #1448

Open the Pan/Crop window, make sure the first (default) keyframe is selected, and make it the size and position you desire for the beginning of the clip. Now, move the cursor to the next point in time on the timeline you want a specific position, and then resize and position as desired for that point in time. A keyframe will be automatically created. If needed, you may then go ahead and add more keyframes the same way.
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #1449
Regular Crew

Chroma keying in Vegas/miniDv - best way

This isnt just a 'Vegas' question, but what is the best way to do a key in the minidv format using Vegas. Arent the 4:1:1 limitations of miniDv too much to achieve a really beautiful key?

Are people finding new and better ways to key in MiniDV, and is Vegas 5 enhanced at all for chromakeying?

Thanks,
John
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #1450
Regular Crew

Vegas 5 Academic

Is there a Vegas 5 Academic version? I can't seem to find any info on it, only version 4.
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #1451
Trustee

Vegas 5 is Available!

For all of you loyal Vegas users, Sony now offers the Vegas + DVD 5.0 upgrade editing package at a fabulous price through their website. To buy it cold would cost $799.00 but if you are upgrading from Vegas 4.0 the cost is significantly cheaper. I just ordered mine and received free shipping! Cut and paste the below thread to se the prices.

http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/sonypictures.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1047&p_created=1082385390&p_sid=mgSPeW9h&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnB fZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD02NDcmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #1452
Trustee

OOPS!

I just saw Edward Troxel's post! Sorry!
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #1453
Inner Circle

when keying i usually render as uncompressed as teh shots themselves are usually short enough to fit on 120gb drive.. i use a green screen with standard 3 point lighting on teh subject, but i use a halogen on the screen.

i used to use combustion to do this but im gettin lazy and im sticking with vegas coz.. well im lazy and cant be bothered.. i liek the results and my stuff aint that important.. if it was a high end payable job,.. then id use combustion and magic key (my friends.. i cant affod that.. LOL)
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #1454
Regular Crew

You should seriously go look at a product called ULTRA at www.seriousmagic.com.

It is so beyond execllent that I am not even going to screw it up by trying to describe it. Go have a look at their demo's.

I have the product and it really one of the best things I ever pourchased..
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #1455
Regular Crew

External Monitor

I want to have an NTSC monitor attached so I can see what I am going to get when I output for tape or dvd.

I have a compaq evo d510 minitower that came with an intel agp card which may or may not be integrated to the mother board. (I haven't looked yet)

I run Windows XP Professional.

Do I need to throw this card away and replace it or add something else to the mix?

When all is done what I want to be able to do is edit on my monitor and see the previews on a tv just as they will appear when I am done editing.

[I have tried using my camcorder for this purpose and failed. Either it doesn't support it or I am an idiot. 50/50 there]

Thanks for your help.

KIM
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...