Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 98 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #1456
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes but you'll need to purchase it through a reseller. If you already own 4, it may be cheaper to simply upgrade.
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #1457

Yep. I "stuck" the upgrade information up top (temporarily) so that it would remain on the main screen.
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #1458

First of all, it's best to use a green screen (as that's the "4" component). Secondly, it is VERY important to use good lighting. You want an even amount of light over the backdrop. Vegas does a wonderful job of keying.

(Remember, you can also use the other color correcting tools to help get a better key when lighting is less than perfect.)
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #1459

External preview is done via firewire. Connect your camera/deck/convertor via firewire and then connect the TV/monitor to the camera via RCA or S-Video. Make sure the proper settings are chosen in the camera to allow pass-thru and you will see the image on the external monitor.

(NOTE: your camera MUST support pass-thru for this to work. If it does not, you may look at something like the Canopus ADVC-100 convertor.)
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #1460
Regular Crew

DID The VASST Tour Date for NYC Change????

I thought it was June 7 and now I see it is June 9th. What is the truth?

Thanks,

KIM
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #1461
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward. Do I just plug the Canopus thing into firewire and then connect it to a tv and I am done? If so, that sounds like a no brainer.
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #1462
Regular Crew

Yes - GREEN is the right color. Photoflex Flexdrop2 or a westcott background seem to be good choices. You will want the talent far enough from the green backround that they don't cast shadows on it (consider 4 feet or more) and you don't want the green to spill onto the talent.

Light that background sperately from the talent. You can use flourescent lights to cover the backround - they are cheap and they wont heat up your room.

Also, make sure your camera has all the auto stuff turned off.
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #1463
Trustee

Try www.studica.com
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #1464
Regular Crew

Vegas 5 Capture

Hey Folks,
There is a procedure, and I can't remember what it's called. When you capture in AVID or FCP, you can capture at low res, edit your piece, then tell the programe to go recapture only the footage on the time line at high resolution. Do you know if Vegas 5 has this feature? What it's called? And how to work it?

Michael Estepp
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #1465

Vegas 5 currently does not have this feature. You could capture at full rez, render at low rez, and then recapture at the end.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #1466

Yes.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #1467

The dates seem to be moving. The Atlanta date was 5/13 but now appears to be in June. I've asked Spot for some more information.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #1468
RED Code Chef

Kim: perhaps you'd better tell us first what camera you have
before you go and buy something else. We might be able to
tell if it should work with your camera or not.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #1469
Major Player

Green is only the "right" color for the screen if you are shooting relatively dark foreground objects. If your subject has blond hair or lots of bright colors (whites/yellows) a bluescreen is the better backdrop.
More details here.

Most workarounds for DV video work by either bluring the Blue & Red channels prior to keying, or mixing Luma keying calculations with color difference keying. "Color Difference" keying is the most common technique for profressional compositing. This is not the same as the Chroma Keying calculation.

DvGarage has a product called DVMattePro that is simply the hands-down, best DV keyer anywhere, and it's only $200. Unfortunately, it's only available as a plugin for either AE or FCP.

Another company, CSB-Digital, puts out a product called Chromanator. I've never used this, but the existing users (mostly young, amateur movie makers) are downright fanatical about it. It's designed to be used as a stand alone application next to Premiere or Vegas, sells for under $100 and includes some of the most critical compositing calculations including a color difference keyer, garbage matting and spill suppression.

The ULTRA Key product really has nothing revolutionary in terms of the compositing calculation itself. It is good, but the keyer is no more advanced than what is in the two products above. What it DOES have that is above and beyond ANYTHING else is that it is bundled with automated, moving, virtual sets. These allow you to easliy place your subject into one of several preset environments and the ULTRA product automatically moves the subject in sync with the set as the camera "moves" along a pre-determined path. You can't really edit the sets or create your own (as far as I know) but if one of the sets fits your needs, it's basically a plug-'n-play operation.

I'm not a Vegas user, so I'm sorry that I can't address any questions specifically relates to keying in Vegas, but hopefully some of this information will be useful.
Have fun.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #1470
Regular Crew

If I capture at high res and render at low, why would I need to recapture at high res
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...