How Do I Extract/Display Time and Date Information at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How Do I Extract/Display Time and Date Information

I'm using Vegas 8.0 and I need to extract/display the time and date of a video taken with a Sony EX3. I know that the XDCAMs record the time and date and you can view the info with the camcorder when the clips are in the native format. But I've already used ClipBrowser to transfer the video to my computer and convert the files to the MXF file format. Any ideas/suggestions on how I can retrieve the clock information from an MXF file using Vegas (or any software)? Thanks.

(As an fyi I've used the freeware HDVSplit to get the clock info from HDV files, but that doesn't work with MXF files, and the data apparently gets loss when I render from MXF to HDV.)
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use time/date info from the SR11, and HV20 to create a subtitle file when I burn with DVDa. I don't know the work flow for MXF files but I'll give you my workflow anyway.... you may pick some thing up from it.

I use Vegas pro, the "quick labels" option in Excalibur extension, and a batch renamer program. My workflow basically relies on quick label's ability to automatically generate a separate track (compete with region markers) of the clip's titles.

In the case of HDV I use HDV split to title each clip with the time/date. I then use quick labels to generate a track containing the time/date... then use the "export regions as subtitles" script included in Vegas. The subtitle file is then used in DVDa when I burn to blu ray.

In the case of avhcd (my SR11) I simply drag the files from the cam's HDD to my computer HDD. Windows explorer just happens to list the time/date that the clip(s) originated so I simply use a batch renamer program to rename the clip(s) with the time date from windows explorer. The rest is the same as the HDV workflow.

So in other words... if you can figure out how to TITLE your MXF clips with the time/date then vegas and Excalibur will be able to do the rest.

Excalibur:
Excalibur

An excellent renamer program that I use. You make up your own rules on how a file or group of files will get re-named:
[den4b] Denis Kozlov
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jack. I'll have to give Excaliber a closer work. But I'm not sure it will meet my needs. To get files from the Sony EX3 to my computer I use the Sony software ClipBrowser which converts the files as part of the transfer from the camera to the computer (and thereby puts the file in a format that Vegas can use). When that happens a new file creation date is established (i.e., so the date/time on the file is not when it was recorded, but when it was converted). I'm guessing that the date and time info is still embedded in the file, but I don't know how to get it out (HDVSplit doesn't work for the MXF format).

(FYI - I don't need the info to label the clips. Rather, the footage contains some material of scientific interest but to make the most of it we need to know the day and time.)
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the same problem with the SR11. If I use the supplied software to import then the original date gets blotzed out. If I drag them directly from the cam's hdd then the time/date will survive. The difference with me however is that SR11 files will work in Vegas as-is or through the supplied software.

Is there anyway you can import your MXF files, use a batch renamer to grab/rename with the original date.... AND THEN convert?
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jack - Yes, I could easily do what you propose and somehow rename the files prior to converting, but unfortunately, that won't help me with the clips that I need to extract the information from (that I've already converted). I gotta believe that the clock information is still in the MXF file (I believe that one of the strengths of that wrapper was that it could save metadata!), but it doesn't appear that Vegas will read it nor can I find any other software that will retrieve it for me.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Licht View Post
(that I've already converted).
Yeah... that's a problem. Whether or not the metadata is still intact after you run the file through a converter is a real question mark too. I don't know much about MXF files, but when converting MTS files, M2T files... even stills like jpg's, most if not all the metadata info is lost... unless the converter you use is smart enough not to disturb this stuff.
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Licht View Post
Jack - Yes, I could easily do what you propose and somehow rename the files prior to converting, but unfortunately, that won't help me with the clips that I need to extract the information from (that I've already converted). I gotta believe that the clock information is still in the MXF file (I believe that one of the strengths of that wrapper was that it could save metadata!), but it doesn't appear that Vegas will read it nor can I find any other software that will retrieve it for me.
I don't know if you've already seen this (or whether it will do what you want - but it seems like it might):

Toboggan
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Steve - Thanks! I was able to use a trial version of TheScribe Lite from the web link you listed. It doesn't show the date, but I know what that was. What I needed was the actual clock time the MXF video was taken (video of a bobcat pouncing on a prairie dog!) and the link you provided did that. As an fyi I had also contacted Sony Tech Support and they said their PDZVX10 software can do get me the date/time info so I downloaded that from:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...l-PDZVX10.aspx

It also showed the time info, but not the date the video was actually taken (at least I couldn't find it). The tech guy said that Vegas could do it, but I'm at a lost as to how. He gave me his phone # so I plan to call him to delve into it deeper for future reference. Once again, thanks!
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Major Player

no idea whether this will help, but I've used the following in the past... not sure if you can rewrap the MXF to AVI and/or whether it would still contain the time/date info but fyi:

DV/Photo Time Stamp Home
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...