cheapest external monitor hookup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

cheapest external monitor hookup

What is the cheapest way to accomplish hooking up an external monitor?

Would be nice if they made a cheap device that went from 1394 on the computer to composite inputs on a TV.

Capturing devices seem a bit overkill for this and if you don't have a DV cam at the computer the nice little converter would be great.
Brian Zamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The Canopus ADVC-something (1000?) does this.

A lot of video cards also have a S-Video output, which are ok but you don't get to see the effects of DV compression as far as I know.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have an ADVC100 I think it is, however, they cost like $300.

It would seem there is something out there very cheap that would allow a computer to display Vegas work on a TV.

I would hate to have to buy something like an ADVC100 for every Vegas workstation.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:02 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

CHEAPEST:

Computer firewire to camera, camera RCA to TV, let the camera do the conversion (assuming the camera has that function).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well I was aware of using a camera and a capture device but both of those are expensive solutions if you want to rig every Vegas workstation with an external monitor.

You guys haven't seen any other way to do it?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are cheaper analog-digital convertors out there, but not as good. I've heard horror stories about Dazzle, but I suppose if it works for digital--> analog then it should be fine.

The S-Video out on most video cards may be able to do it. I haven't tried this myself though.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #7

You should NOT use any "video out" ports on the cards for a couple of reasons:

1) Vegas does not support this so you would need to make it a "second monitor" and then just move the preview display to that screen.

2) It will NOT give you a true representation of colors. If you want to do any color correcting, I would NOT trust the colors using this method.

By going out the firewire port, you will be getting EXACTLY what you will seen on Print To Tape. Yes, it requires something attached between the computer and TV. If you use a camera, you could share it between multiple stations moving it as each station needed to check. I simply use the deck that is always attached to my desktop. When I want to check with the laptop, I hook it up to that deck.
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Ok guys, searching these old threads for things I come up against as I put Vegas (and my home set-up) though its paces, I find you've covered (yet again) the topic I want answers to. Except, something here doesn't make sense.

If I can go out firewire, into my camera set to VCR, and view what's in Vegas on my little TV, how come the dumb Dazzle I have only shows up black when I sub it in, in place of the camera? As Glen says, "if it works for digital --> analog" (and it always has in the past, at least for input) it should be fine. I get a green light on the thing, which means the signal is passing through, but the tv remains black. I used the same cables (s-video and firewire) that I had just hooked up to my little cam. Weird, huh? Think I should just forget the Dazzle, or does anybody know a trick/setting/anything I could try? It squeezes into a much smaller space then leaving the little cam sitting around if I can get it to work.
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ADS has a device similar to the Canopus ADVC-100, that is a little cheaper.

Currently I'm looking at the ADVC-100 and ADVC-300. I don't know if the sync restore and noise filtering is worth the price difference. Anyone with experience using the 300?
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Does your Dazzle device support video out?
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Yes, Harry. Finally got it to work last night, sort of. I've had it awhile and I guess the contacts are loose. Unplugged and jammed back in the in/outs, but I can't get rid of a green line that runs across the top 1/4 of the screen. Think I'm just going to abandon the thing. Thanks anyway, guys.
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- By going out the firewire port, you will be getting EXACTLY what you will seen on Print To Tape. Yes, it requires something attached between the computer and TV. If you use a camera, you could share it between multiple stations moving it as each station needed to check. I simply use the deck that is always attached to my desktop. When I want to check with the laptop, I hook it up to that deck. -->>>

So I use my camcorder to convert the firewire to something the tv can display? I suppose I can view on my lcd camcorder screen then also?

How do you need to set up vegas and your camcorder to make this function?

Thanks,

KIM
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #13

Connect via firewire to the camera. Connect the camera via RCA to the TV. Click the external preview button above the preview screen in Vegas. Then you should be able view the preview on the tv.
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Having followed this thread I thought I would try hooking up my Canon XM2 (GL2) via firewire as per Edward's suggestion in the thread above.

Interestingly, when I click external preview the current frame appears on my monitor (OK, my TV) BUT when I press play it disappears. When I then press stop, the current frame is displayed again.

Any thoughts as to what I should look at to resolve this?

Update : I wonder if I have found the problem - if so, it is a worrying one!

I thought I would try the above operation with a couple of different files. When I tried to open the first one, I got a very alarming error from both Vegas and Windows - the Vegas one was kind of unintelligable and the Windows message was just plain scary - it talked about being unable to open the file and stated that data HAD BEEN lost. Ouch. It then kicked me out of Vegas. I fired up Vegas again, tried to open a different file and bingo, same thing.

Then it dawned on me: I have a 250Gb external firewire disk hanging off the same firewire controller. That disk is now not seen on the system, even after disconnecting the cam. I haven't rebooted yet so I hope it will be there again soon!

Clearly there is a disturbing conflict of interests here (ie between the disk and the firewire out to the cam)?

Can anyone advise on any solution? Thanks.

Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:30 AM   #15
Major Player

Edward,
Why do you recommend RCA from the camera to the TV? Wouldn't an S-video connection give a better picture?
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...