DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas fans and other PC editors. Have you seen this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/18232-vegas-fans-other-pc-editors-have-you-seen.html)

Raymond Krystof December 11th, 2003 03:00 PM

Vegas fans and other PC editors. Have you seen this?

I'm an Aspect HD user and fan. This should be of interest to all PC editors.

http://www.cineform.com/products/ConnectHD.htm

Frank Pitt December 11th, 2003 08:37 PM

Hi Raymond,

Pardon my newbie-ness, but how does ConnectHD improve editing HD in Vegas?

I recently purchased Vegas and have been natively editing my Mpeg-TS files (captured with the JVC HD1 tool) and exporting to a variety of formats (MPEG2, WM9 etc.).

Specifically, what part(s) of the workflow does this new product improve? Are there additional steps (i.e. time consuming conversion to the cineform AVI format)?

Maybe David Newman is around to add some more about ConnectHD for the non-Premiere camp?

David: Is there a plan to add real-time transitions etc. that will work within Vegas?

Thanks.

Frank.

Raymond Krystof December 12th, 2003 12:45 AM

Hi Frank,

To be honest I don’t know. I’ve been using Aspect HD with Premiere 6.5 for just a short time and find it a great experience. This is due primarily to the real time previews. I’m a newbie to NLE myself and as such trial and error has been my prime learning experience. The real time previews are extremely helpful to that process. Connect HD doesn’t seem to tout real time previewing so I would assume there must be another prime advantage.

I have done some test output to DVD mpeg and the results are great. I think the “over sampling” of converting 720P to 480P does result in a higher quality DVD. I also plan to output to DVHS in 720P for playback on my HD capable projector. So far as I can determine, at least on the computer screen, there doesn’t seem to be any visible degradation in manipulating content within the Aspect codec. If all the above is also the case with native Vegas, then I would also hope David could elaborate on the advantages of using Connect HD.

David Newman December 12th, 2003 10:40 AM

Just like with Aspect HD, the Connect HD product greatly enhances performance, now for editing tools like Vegas. Although Vegas is one of the few applications that can be setup to work with m2t files directly, the editing experience is slow even on the fastest of PCs. Using Connect HD you will experience a 3 times performance increase over editing m2t natively. In addition as you are now editing AVI files, your options are hugely increased as AVIs can be manipulated in nearly all PC video tools. Connect HD is not a replacement for Aspect HD (our highest performance product) as CHD doesn't include the real-time video "pipeline" that we run under Adobe Premiere. The plug-in structure of Vegas wouldn't support that much enhancement. Aspect HD delivers 30 fps real-time on multiple HD streams, Connect HD is video processing accelerator with support for existing Vegas effects and transitions.

Alex Raskin December 12th, 2003 09:02 PM

David, would it be fair to say that Connect HD is a import/export utility plus fast AVI codec?

Do you have any test results comparing Connect vs Aspect on the same computer running PremierePro?

Thanks.

Mike Eby December 12th, 2003 09:10 PM

This sound real good. Can't wait to see more about it.

Mike

David Newman December 13th, 2003 11:49 AM

Alex,

You have the description of Connect HD right on.

Aspect HD will definitely outperform Connect HD under Premiere (6.5 or Pro). As Connect HD and Aspect HD for Pro is likely to ship around the same time, AHD will be the best choice. Connect HD was focused for Vegas and to a lesser extent After Effects users, yet it will work on most PC tools. This does mean Premiere users on a tight budget could use CHD instead.

David.

Darren Kelly December 14th, 2003 01:03 PM

I saw this running at DVExpo West last week. CineForm's Prez David Taylor was demoing it in the JVC booth.

For Vegas lovers it looks great!

DBK

Ken Hodson December 15th, 2003 08:50 PM

I use Premiere but I do most of my Colour Correction and image manipulation in AE. Would I benefit from AspectHD or would the ConnectHD be better suited.
Does AHD improve upon Premiere's abilities as far as CC.
Thanks
Ken.

David Newman December 15th, 2003 09:26 PM

Aspect HD provides two real-time color correctors. One is a simple linear corrector with basic control for course adjustments on red, green, blue, brightness, contrast and saturation. The second is a highlights, mid-tones, shadows, gamma based RGB color corrector. Both can be used on HD footage in real-time. You can still use the existing color correctors (like the new Premiere Pro CC is quite noice), but those will not be real-time. Once things are real-time it is hard to part with.

Ken Hodson December 16th, 2003 01:40 PM

Thanks David.
RT is sweet candy ;>)

Bill Ravens December 16th, 2003 01:48 PM

best part...

capture and PTT.