DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Does Vegas Play Nice With After Effects? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/18403-does-vegas-play-nice-after-effects.html)

Dave Largent December 15th, 2003 11:06 PM

Does Vegas Play Nice With After Effects?

I know Vegas always cuts out my Winamp when
Vegas comes up.
Anyone here using Vegas and AE together?

Peter Jefferson December 17th, 2003 06:19 AM

no need, vegas does pretty much everythign AE does... if not more... (and nicer too :) )

Peter Jefferson December 17th, 2003 06:21 AM

forgoot to mention, vegas overtakes your audio driver, so it depends on your config as to how and what is playable while vegas is running...

for eg, i cant run Logic Audio or Cubase with ASIO drivers as Vegas is already using the drivers.. BUT i can run 2 instances of vegas both with ASIO drivers... this can be an issue when syncing he rest of the studio to the video im working on... so i run virtual midi ports to work around that...

long and involved, and prolly not what you were lookin for...
sorry

Edward Troxel December 17th, 2003 08:20 AM

Actually, Vegas is VERY program friendly. When it is the active application, it will take the resources it needs. When it is the inactive application, it will release those resources. Some other programs are not that friendly.

Many people are using AE and Vegas together. The generally accepted method is to render the section you need in AE to UNCOMPRESSED AVI, work on it in AE, render back to uncompressed AVI, and import that back into Vegas.

As an alternative, Boris Red is now integrated with Vegas and can be accessed directly from the Vegas timeline.

Joe Sacher December 17th, 2003 08:48 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : no need, vegas does pretty much everythign AE does... if not more... (and nicer too :) ) -->>>

While Vegas does alot, it doesn't by any means do "pretty much everything AE does." There is no real method of manipulating 3D objects and layers in Vegas, as well as other limitations. While I do use Vegas for 90% of what most people use AE for, it doesn't do it all.

Dave Largent December 17th, 2003 12:00 PM

Edward, I didn't quite catch you there on the workflow.
If you render to uncompressed AVI with Vegas, then work on the section in AE as uncompressed, why would you have to "render back to uncompressed AVI" if it's already in that form in AE?
And what is the advantage to working on it
uncompressed in AE versus compressed?

Edward Troxel December 17th, 2003 01:07 PM

You would render the changes made in AE back to an uncompressed AVI for importing back into Vegas.

There are some known problems when AE tries to read a Vegas DV-AVI file or Vegas tries to read an AE DV-AVI file. If you use uncompressed to go each way, the problems are eliminated. So, this is the "safe" known workflow.

If you don't want to create TWO uncompressed files, you could frameserve from Vegas to AE.

Dave Largent December 17th, 2003 01:46 PM

So, the whole time you're in AE, you're working with
a section that had been uncompressed in Vegas. So you are working in AE with only uncompressed
files. You make your changes in AE, then render
those changes as uncompressed to be sent
back to Vegas. Right?

Edward Troxel December 17th, 2003 01:53 PM

Yes

Harry Settle December 17th, 2003 04:54 PM

Is AE a stand alone program?

Peter Jefferson December 17th, 2003 11:11 PM

Yes :)

as for comparing, well, im only referring to compositing, filters and lighting effects.

but now with boris 3gl (be it a lil expensive) we can do all this 3d stuff as well

Edward Troxel December 17th, 2003 11:28 PM

In addition, by using Boris Red, you can also use many of the AE plug-ins as well providing you with even MORE tools. That, and the render savings, may very well be worth the difference in price.

Peter Jefferson December 18th, 2003 06:09 AM

im still waiting for someone to write up a spiel about these 2 beasts working hand in hand...

i wont pay over a grand for a SW package and find out that it doesnt work to my flow, but from the demo ive used, it seems to be ok for my style of working...
anyone know where i can find info on the integration of thee 2>?? Im only using boris as a standalone... :(

Edward Troxel December 18th, 2003 08:11 AM

I\'m working on some things for the next newsletter.

Joe Sacher December 18th, 2003 10:48 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : In addition, by using Boris Red, you can also use many of the AE plug-ins as well providing you with even MORE tools. That, and the render savings, may very well be worth the difference in price. -->>>

The problem with my difference in price is that I already have AE, but not Boris. In that situation, the price difference is starting with $0 on one side. :(