Enable Multicore preview playback?!?! - who knew? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
'Enable multi-core rendering for playback'
That's the one you want to change it from FALSE to TRUE - and then hope it all works out :)

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks a million for this tip! I was completely unaware of these "Internal" settings. Will be playing around to see what I get.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #18
Trustee

I just changed the setting to true and it didn't make any difference to me, in fact i'd say it made the preview playback slightl slower.
I had some 720/50p mxf footage, with setting disabled, preview on preview>full i get the full 50fps, with best>full i get around 7fps with a glow effect added, when i chaged the settings i git about 4 fps.

Quad core q6600, 4gb ram, vista.

Paul.
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
I just changed the setting to true and it didn't make any difference to me, in fact i'd say it made the preview playback slightl slower.
I had some 720/50p mxf footage, with setting disabled, preview on preview>full i get the full 50fps, with best>full i get around 7fps with a glow effect added, when i chaged the settings i git about 4 fps.

Quad core q6600, 4gb ram, vista.

Paul.
in some HD content, I have seen that happening, though I find that I hit my peformance peak in a similar situation to yours when I run with 512MB RAM set in the video tab rather than the standard low number that is in there.

Dave
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #20
Major Player

i can't seem to find/see the internal tab

Sorry all,

i'm using V.7e, but i can't seem to find/see the internal tab.

i'm holding the shift button whilst pressing preferences... but in the preferences window i don't see an any additional tabs?

anyone else having this problem? Would someone mind posting a small little jpeg?

(computers) the cause of... and solution to... all of lifes problems:)

thanks
mike
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Calla View Post
Sorry all,

i'm using V.7e, but i can't seem to find/see the internal tab.

i'm holding the shift button whilst pressing preferences... but in the preferences window i don't see an any additional tabs?

anyone else having this problem? Would someone mind posting a small little jpeg?

(computers) the cause of... and solution to... all of lifes problems:)

thanks
mike

should be the top right tab of the window now as long as you click options and then press shift and then click on preferences, and then release - though I warn you that this is not a place to go messing around.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #22
Major Player

Much appreciated David,

However, at least for me, its not working on V7.0e build 216. Sigh! I tried it on two machines too...

Sucks,

But i did try it on ACID and Sound Forge, and it works on them.

mike
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Calla View Post
Much appreciated David,

However, at least for me, its not working on V7.0e build 216. Sigh! I tried it on two machines too...

Sucks,

But i did try it on ACID and Sound Forge, and it works on them.

mike
the internal prefs tab isn't happening, or it's not working to turn it on ?
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #24
Major Player

Cheers for the heads up. My previews are stonking now (Q6600)!
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hadden View Post
the internal prefs tab isn't happening, or it's not working to turn it on ?
Correct, nothing WAS happening.

BUT I just "Ctrl + Shift started" Vegas back to its factory default and then tried again to get the internal tab and... its there now.

I've been hesitant to default Vegas back to its original layout as i had it just the way i want it but the the thought of gaining extra CPU power was too much. So i took screen shots and wrote down notes of my set up.

Anyway the internal tab is showing up now!

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #26
Major Player

I gave it a try and at first I was able to go from full speed at 'Preview Full' to full speed at 'Good Full' but as it played the *.m2t file it started to slow back down again until it was like it originally was.

It is like it gets tired after a while.

Maybe there is a bug in this thing that eventually clutters up the ram or whatever.

Anyway, with that type of unreliability, I turned it back off again.

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #27
Major Player

render problems

I wonder if this is the reason why we've all had so many problems with rendering using multi-cores, the option is there to use them in the normal preferences, but the registry entry actually has the feature turned off, so theirs some sort of conflict? And this is also the reason why we needed to turn off previews during rendering to help stability as well?

For those who have enabled the multicore preview, are you still rendering with multicores with stability, or do you preview multi, and revert back to single for render? This has been the single most largest bug bear of vegas, and if it solves this problem their will be rejoicing in the streets! No more ripping what little hair I have left out at 3am in the morning!!

regards

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #28
Inner Circle

good afternooon,

I turned on the multicore preview and gave it a test run. As someone else noted it seemed to help marginally and then slowed back down after a bit. I disabled it and have left it where it was before.

It would be nice if, as in adobe, you could render your work on the time line and it stays rendered unless you change it, that would expediate things alot when working on large HD projects that have a lot of cc and fx and such, it would also facilitate preview a lot better. Once rendered to mp2 they all play at 29 frames but prior to that it can be dismal, and I am running a 2.6 gh I7quad.

Perhaps there is a way and I do not know about it, would not be surprising.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
good afternooon,

I turned on the multicore preview and gave it a test run. As someone else noted it seemed to help marginally and then slowed back down after a bit. I disabled it and have left it where it was before.

It would be nice if, as in adobe, you could render your work on the time line and it stays rendered unless you change it, that would expediate things alot when working on large HD projects that have a lot of cc and fx and such, it would also facilitate preview a lot better. Once rendered to mp2 they all play at 29 frames but prior to that it can be dismal, and I am running a 2.6 gh I7quad.

Perhaps there is a way and I do not know about it, would not be surprising.
Vegas has pre-render, though I'm not sure that it's saved with the project file, maybe that'll be something that they can implement in the future, but for the purposes of working on a project that you just leave open, just make sections and then I believe the shortcut is Shift+M (don't quote me on that though). And you lose it if yo move it, etc...
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #30
Major Player

Vegas does have pre render and it IS saved with the project file (.veg). You can note the prerendered sections on the time line by the blue line above the time line. It will disappear if you make a change in the section somewhere. The prerendered on my computer will play back at full fps at best (full). I took a doctored .png photo on the time line and added some color correction and played it at best (full). It played back at about 19fps. I then did a selective prerender (under tools menu) of the section. When I played it back it played at 19fps until it hit the prerendered section and then it went to 30fps (29.97). I saved the .veg to the desktop, closed Vegas and then reopened the project and the prerender was still present.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...