Partitioning 120 gb hd of a LAptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Partitioning 120 gb hd of a LAptop

Hola chicos, happy Easter!
I 'd like to know how you 'd configure my laptop Dell m6300, 120gb hard disk, 4gb ddr2 Ram,Quadro fx3600 to have the best performances with Sony Vegas 8.I own this pc since november and i'd like to know what kind of workflow do u suggest me to set the render partition or the the capture.Right now i'm using it without partions and i don't know if something s going wrong dued to the fact that to burn a BR disc with 8 minutes from the timeline:80 minutes! UMMMMMMM

let me know

p.s:i use an external firewire hard disk to capture my hd footage the i render on C (my pc) then i transfer all the rendered files to the external hd.

thx a lot
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Other than keeping things separate, there's no performance advantage to partitioning a hard drive with a render partition. Since the OS will still need to access that drive simultaneously as your editing program is writing to it, you may actually see a decrease in performance. It is best to have a completely separate drive to render/capture to in order to prevent transfer bottlenecks. Partitioning a disk is a good idea to keep your data and documents separate from the OS and applications because it makes finding your files and backing them up easier, but there is no performance advantage.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Thank you rick,and what about if i keep my pc like this without partitioing?
Or just in caase u think to partitionate a good idea how many gb u'd set each partition?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't know about anybody else but my drive C only uses 32 GB. out of a possible 200 GB.
The only thing on it is my programs and email data.
Everything else is on other drives.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Or just in caase u think to partitionate a good idea how many gb u'd set each partition?

thx
I have set up dozens and dozens of PCs (See second link in my sig) and her eis what I would recommend:

-The C: partition should be large enough to hold all of your installed applications plus room to grow. You don't want a partition to be over 75% full because performance will be affected by very annoying problems having to do the partition table, and the oddities of the NTFS file system.

-D should be the rest of the HDD space.

As for how large to make C, I generally use this guideline: Win2K / XP around 80GB. That gives you room for very big app installs (games, NLE apps, swap files, etc etc). If you currently have a single partition and it is around 50GB used, then I might consider a larger c partition (unless removing your data shrinks it back down below 50GB). If you have 50GB used, but 40GB of that is your video data, mp3s, pictures, etc, then you could do with a 50 or 60GB C partition and move all your pictures, video, images, & documents to the D: partition whick should occupy the rest of your space.

There is no need on a laptop / PC to have more than 2 partitions on a single drive because this just further segments your storage making it difficult to use as much of the capacity as possible.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post

thx
I would size the C: partition at 50gb and the rest as D:. Put your pagefile on the D: partition and render your projects to it, as well. Set Vegas' Temp directory to it, also. You won't see any performance advantage, but at least you will know where your renders are and it will make it easier to transfer them to the external drive.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...