DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   HELP!-Rendered AVI is 25 minutes short! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/194485-help-rendered-avi-25-minutes-short.html)

Chuck Pullen April 13th, 2009 07:06 PM

HELP!-Rendered AVI is 25 minutes short!

Hi All! I'm on a deadline for a show and I'm having a serious problem I've never had before. I’m rendering a 30 minute timeline out to an AVI with Vegas 8 to send to Premiere to add graphics. I’ve watched the file render out to the very last frame, it takes an hour and a half which is what it takes every week, the file size is about 12 GB’s which is what it is every week, only problem is that the file is only 4.5 minutes long! I’ve rendered multiple times, tried different file names, I tried rendering with and without selecting the (render in and out points) box, the hard drive has tons of room.

I’m running out of time and options, thanks everyone!

Chuck Pullen

Jason Robinson April 14th, 2009 01:11 AM

did you check the selected area to make sure everything is selected?

what about frame rates? a frame rate mismatch might shorten a rendered file.

Don Bloom April 14th, 2009 06:00 AM

I agree with Jason. If there is a region anywhere that'll do it. That would be the first thing I would check. After that honestly, I'm at a loss.
I've never seen of this problem nor had it myself.

Edward Troxel April 14th, 2009 07:14 AM

Are you rendering to a FAT32 drive? 4.5 minutes sounds about right for the 4 Gig limit. You may have 3 or 4 files from this render instead of 1.

Chuck Pullen April 14th, 2009 06:37 PM

It's the weirdest thing guys; I rendered several times to different drives and always ended up with an AVI file that is exactly 4:42 long. I then tried to do a "render selected area" starting at 4:42 into the timeline and I was going to stitch them together in Premiere. Guess what, that file was exactly 4:42! I've been doing this show for years (This is episode #204) and I've been using this system in this configuration for half of those shows and have never had this problem.

The file is almost the same size as the 30 minute long AVI's I have rendered in the past (12 GB).

The only thing about the render is that I created a custom setting with everything set to Best. I finally solved it by rendering again with the regular NTSC DV file settings and I also turned the maximum amount of memory for playback down to it's minimum, and it rendered out fine.

Thanks for all of your input….

Edward Troxel April 15th, 2009 06:53 AM

12Gig should be about 1 hour - not 30 minutes - for DV.

4:42 Seconds still sounds like a 2 gig limit to me. Did you change any setting in the Custom settings or Preferences? Some examples in Options - Preferences:

Ignore third party DV codes should be checked
Use Microsoft DV codec should be unchecked
Strictly conform to AVI2 specification should be unchecked

When you go to File - Render As, pick AVI - NTSC DV as the output type, and click on "Custom", the "Create an OpenDML (AVI version 2.0) compatible file" box should be checked.

And you still haven't answered - is the drive you're limiting to formatted as NTFS or FAT32?

Chuck Pullen April 15th, 2009 07:02 PM

One again Ed comes to the rescue!

That's it Ed! I just realized what happened, I was messing around with the options the other day while trying to figure something out, and I checked the AVI2 box... The drive's are 750's formatted NTFS BTW

Thanks SO much for everyone's input…

P.S. Ed I am recording on Firestore's from my JVC 250's that get their timecode from the JVC's, but I can't get Vegas to read that timecode. I thought I remember someone saying Excalibur may be able to read the timecode metadata somehow?

Edward Troxel April 16th, 2009 06:27 AM

I can only read what Vegas gives through the API.

In Vegas Pro 8, there is the following option:
Tools - Multicamera - Lay Out Tracks Using Media Timecode

Chuck Pullen April 16th, 2009 04:17 PM

I'll play with that Ed, but it always seems that I need to tweak a track or two, which is difficult once the multicamera in created. The strange thing is that Adobe Media Bridge reads the timecode in the metadata, but Vegas always show the timecode as starting at 00:00!

Chuck

Edward Troxel April 17th, 2009 06:33 AM

Make sure EVERYTHING is synced before creating the multi-cam track.

This is one instance where the script multi-cam options have the advantage. In those cases, the base tracks remain separate so if you find one piece that's off, you can more easily adjust just that one piece.