Vegas capablity of big projects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 10th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas capablity of big projects

Im going to be editing a 2 hour project. My friend is argueing with me that Vegas can't handle it and that we should use premiere pro. I think this is rediculous. Can I get some confermation?
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Trustee

If you've ever experienced the horrors of long projects on the previous version of Premiere (6.5), and then later found Vegas which provided a hugely more stable alternative for those long projects, you would find it very laughable to suggest that this latest version of Premiere somehow can handle some large project that Vegas can not.

In other words, Vegas 4 brought possibilities that Premiere 6.5 struggled with. Premiere Pro has now come out and is supposedly much more stable (though I have only used it in passing so I cannot confirm). So to suggest Vegas can't handle a big project doesn't make sense since Vegas was the reason Adobe had to hurry up and spit out Premiere Pro before it was originally scheduled for release.

However, Premiere is a much more established name, so that may be the difficulty your friend is having.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

What kind of project is this? A multicamera shoot?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

we edited a project that at times was 3 - 4 hrs (vegas TL). the computer had 500gigs of video h.drives plus 80 gig C ...
it was a little sluggish moving around the TL when we hit above 3 hrs. that could have been the computer and not vegas ? as it had 384 mgs ram ..
the other factor might have been all our material was captured as 13 gig file ( each tape) so vegas was accessing/had open 400+ gig of files all the time ... we found that cutting the project in 1/2 solved the sluggish ....

since then on long projects ( 1 hr or more ) we edit it in 15-30 min segments ... then render these off and put them together in 1 vegas to view whole project - then go back to each segment to make changes ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #5
Rextilleon

The only issues I have had with Vegas doing long form (and thats all I do) is the bin issues already discussed here and elsewhere---other then that, its rock solid.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Michael, as David just mentioned there is a bin issue with Vegas. Vegas is crap at media management through the media pool. If you'll be using alot of clips, then use the explorer in vegas, and turn on show regions after you've made regions of your clips. Do everything through explorer. Edward Troxel put me onto this after I had major problem with Vegas screwing up my media pool.

Here is the thread

Aaron

edit: Corrected your name Edward ;)
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

I'm currently working on a 3 hour 3 camera shoot. Vegas is handling it with ease. After cutting it down, the final print to tape will be 2 hours (1 vhs max)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #8

Vegas capablity of big projects

Most of our doc work comes in just under 2 hours, with at least 3 cams on everything. If you know the limitations of the Bin structure, it's not a problem. In fact, we've never relied on anyone's bin structure, because 8 years ago, there wasn't such a thing, so we've gotten into the habit of creating folders for each tape, and cross referencing via the Media Pool in Vegas, plus using Regions. This is the best way to accomplish this. Build regions in the Trimmer or in the timeline and save.
Premiere Pro is much better than it used to be at media management, but it's no different than Vegas at the end of the day. IMO, only AVID really has this down tight.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I dont understand this whole region thing. I never ever use the trimmer... its not as simple as throwing a clip on the time line and hitting "s" to slice it up. The trimmer doesn't seem to be as extensive as it should.... the only options it has is that you can start a clip from cursor position or end it there. maybe Im missing some options. I dont know, but I dont understand the region thing.
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:35 AM   #10
Trustee

Michael. Load a clip into the trimmer, and mark a region. Then click the 'save regions' icon. Once that's done you can go to the Explorer, and select the file that has the region marked on it. Right click in the explorer window->view->region view and then you'll see the regions you marked in the selected file.

Aaron
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:40 AM   #11

Lotsa folks don't use the Trimmer. If you don't need to have tight media control, if you shoot for editing with lots of stop/starts on the cam to mark takes, then the Trimmer might not be for you. Fewer and fewer people use the Trimmer/Source window in various NLE's anyway these days. Timeline based editing is more the norm from what I see in the forums and in daily conversations with editors.
Regions allow you to mark out sections of longer clips. Suppose you captured a one hour clip, and you wanted to mark out sections before putting them on the timeline. If you work with an analog cam, this would almost always be the case. Maybe your DV cam had a dead battery. Whatever the case, the Trimmer allows you to mark and identify the pieces you wish to keep. The marked sections are usually marked via the R key for Region. If you only use the M key for Marker, you only have marked points, but by using the R key/Regions, you can identify In/Out points. (I/O) Then, you can throw those sections on the timeline, do a Save As With Copy of Media, and get rid of the rest of the one-=hour capture you didn't want to have there taking up disk space.
This is just one example of how Trimmer can be used, but again, many people don't use Source or Trimmer editing functions any more.
Old January 11th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Two Hour project. . . no sweat for Vegas.
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #13
Trustee

Douglas, are you saying more people just chuck the whole clip on the timeline and trim from that? I generally use the trimmer but then often I have loooong clips.

Aaron
Old January 11th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #14

I don't know about 'more' people, but this is a common way that newer-comers to video editing seem to be doing it. If they don't have a background in working with source tapes and linear editing systems, the workflow isn't quite as natural to them. I see guys all the time that throw a one-hour event on the timeline, use the "S" key to split sections out, toss what they don't want from the TL, and them do a "Save As" and delete the original one-hour event/clip.
Since I rarely have long clips like this, I generally use the trimmer for long, and use the timeline for shorter stuff. Beauty of it is, Vegas will allow for either (and more) workflows.
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV

I'll admit to being one of the "timeline" people. I only use the trimmer when there is a specific reason to do so.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...