DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Computer problems & how it affects Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/197922-computer-problems-how-affects-vegas.html)

Leslie Davis April 14th, 2009 05:37 PM

Computer problems & how it affects Vegas

Because of some major computer problems, I am looking at factory restoring my computer. I have a few projects that are rendered, but I'm still accessing them and making more DVD's from the rendered files. If I remove all the original media, will that affect any of these rendered files? On the files that I'm still working on in Vegas, if I move them to an external hard drive and then move them back without opening Vegas, will that mess up the links to the original captured file (I wouldn't be changing the names of the files, they will go back into the same file in my docs after the restore is finished)

Another question: I have a m2t file that will not move to the external hard drive, but will open up in vegas...is that corrupted? If I can render it and make a new uncorrupted file, what kind of file will be best for editing it some more in Vegas and lose as little quality as possible? (Just in case I'm forced to do the restore.)

Thanks in Advance!

Seth Bloombaum April 14th, 2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Davis (Post 1093376)
...If I remove all the original media, will that affect any of these rendered files?

No. The rendered files now stand alone, and can be used in DVDA or whatever without needing the original media. DVDA, however, does not pull media files into the .dar file, it still needs access to all renders and graphics that were used in the DVDA project, until a DVD "prepare to a folder" is rendered. Then, that "prepared folder" can be used without needing the media that went into DVDA.

Quote:

...On the files that I'm still working on in Vegas, if I move them to an external hard drive and then move them back without opening Vegas, will that mess up the links to the original captured file (I wouldn't be changing the names of the files, they will go back into the same file in my docs after the restore is finished)?

No. Even if you slightly screw up the folder structure or something, Vegas will notify you and present you with a dialog where you can point to the current location of the files.

Quote:

...I have a m2t file that will not move to the external hard drive, but will open up in vegas...is that corrupted? If I can render it and make a new uncorrupted file, what kind of file will be best for editing it some more in Vegas and lose as little quality as possible? (Just in case I'm forced to do the restore.)

I'll make a wild guess, it may not be corrupted; your M2T is over 4GB, and you're trying to move it to a drive that's been formatted with the FAT32 file structure (not NTFS)? FAT32 format supports no more than 4GB per file.

This would be the most common reason that a file that seems to work can't be transferred to an external drive.

If you do need to re-render this, you might just render it back to M2T, without applying any efx or anything. Vegas8 Pro will smart-render, basically rewrapping the file. You don't lose a generation, and it goes quite fast compared to a real render.

Even if you do need to get onto a FAT32 drive, this might be the best way to prepare smaller pieces for it. Let's see, carry the one, multiply by the square root of pi, I think that would be about up to 18-ish minutes per file?