DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Analog Capture in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/19825-analog-capture-vegas.html)

Glen Elliott January 14th, 2004 03:56 PM

Analog Capture in Vegas

I'm, for the first time, going to attempt an analog capture in Vegas. Now this isn't specifically Vegas related other than the fact it's the app. I'll be using. Now if I want to capture the contents of a VHS on my HD, all I have to do is connect the outs from the VCR to the ins on my GL-1/DVX100 and connect the GL-1/DVX100 to the computer via firewire. Will this work? Is there any in particular I should know prior to atempting an analog capture this way. I ask because I remember people having problems in the past with audio during analog captures through the DV camera.

My old Pinnacle DV500 made it easy as it had a break out box for that exact purpose. I have since "seen the light" and ditched Premiere for Vegas and work soley with Vegas. So all input will greatly be appreciated.

Glen Elliott January 14th, 2004 04:51 PM

Doh! I tried with both cameras- nadda. Apparently neither the GL-1 or DVX100 have analog pass-through. I could, however, get the VCR signal to play in the LCD of the DVX in VCR mode though no signal was sent to Vegas Capture via Firewire.

I thought another way around it would be to record the incoming analog signal to DV and *then* capture...but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to "record" the signal I saw on my DVX in VCR mode. I tried hitting the stop/record button....even the "vcr record" button but nothing happened.

Edward Troxel January 14th, 2004 09:58 PM

If you can see the VCR image on the DVX LCD, I'll bet that it WILL do passthru. Here's a couple of things to check:

1) In the capture program, turn OFF "Enable DV device control"

2) Check to see if there are any menu options on the DVX that may affect passthru.

Rob Lohman January 15th, 2004 06:33 AM

On my XL1S I need to do that on a two pass process, Glen,
because the XL1S does NOT forward the incoming analog signal
to the firewire port. As soon as I plug my firewire cable in the
camera it just displays the blue screen instead of the video
signal coming in through the analog port. I suspect the GL2
is doing the same thing.

What I do is this. Set the camera in VCR mode, hook up the
analog in and start recording on tape by using my VCR controls
on the camera (not the record button I normally use, don't know
how this works on the GL2).

After I'm done I rewind the tape and then capture as normal.

Anyway, you are not doing an analog capture with Vegas
if go down my route or get a direct connection working! Everything
coming over the firewire link from the camera is already digital
and in DV, so in regards to Vegas and its capture utility it is
the same as you always do.

Analog capture is when you use a capture board (like your DV500)
that has analog in and the board with its driver converts the
signal to digital inside your computer. That's called a digital
capture and is slightly different from a digital DV capture/copy
operation.

Glen Elliott January 15th, 2004 08:42 AM

I tried recording the signal when I saw it in the LCD in my DVX100 by hitting the VCR Record button but nothing happened. I might have to go ahead and try what Edward suggested and turn "off" DV device control and see what happens. It's amazing I can own these cameras for so long and be such a newb when it comes to certian features. Thanks for the input guys.

Edward Troxel January 15th, 2004 09:23 AM

You hit record on the DVX and nothing happened? Or you hit record on the computer?

If you put a tape in the DVX and hit record while playing the VHS tape, does it record it onto that tape?

Turning off device control will only help if the signal is getting all the way to the computer.

Glen Elliott January 15th, 2004 12:53 PM

I hit record on the camera to try and record the signal to DV tape. Didn't work.
As far as getting the signal to the TV I haven't seen anything in the Vegas Capture box...just says "Insert Tape". Though I am in VCR mode watching the incoming video from the VCR in the cam's LCD.

Rob Lohman January 16th, 2004 04:38 AM

Again, you should probably NOT have the firewire cable
connected AT ALL when you are trying to do this.

I've checked the GL1 manual and it tells you how to record
analog in. See page 76 under "Editing - Recording from a VCR,
TV or Other Camcorder (Analog Line-in)".

I also checked the DVX100 manual, but could not find anything
regarding analog recording. Your best bet would be the GL1
for now!

David James January 18th, 2004 11:24 AM

Glen,

Don't feel too bad, I am having the same problem with my dv953 and Vegas little brother Screenblast. Thanks for the input everyone will try your suggestions.

Bernard Diaz January 23rd, 2004 12:41 AM

Glen,
I was able to upload the analog audio from a cassette via firewire onto my hard drive using Premiere 6.5 and my XL1S. I suspect that it does not matter what platform you use.
Using my XL1S, I activated audio 1 which allowed me to capture the audio signal directly into premiere via the fire wire by using the 2-1 RCA to mini jack.
You can listen to what you are uploading by plugging the headphones onto the XL1s. If I remember correctly, I pressed the virtual record button on the screen with the mouse after the audio started to play from the cassette player.
Good luck!

Glen Elliott January 23rd, 2004 07:45 AM

I'm still unsure if the DVX allows audio/video pass through. I've been told my GL-1 can't do it. Oddly enough, like I mentioned before, I *did* get the image from the analog source on the LCD of the DVX100 which might be an indication that it can be done. I have to connect everything again and try what Edward suggested about "dis"abling DV device control to (hopefully) get the signal to pass via firewire.

Rob Lohman January 25th, 2004 08:52 AM

Glen, are you reading my posts? I've pointed you to the place
in the MANUAL where it says it can do it. Did you try follow the
instructions in the manual?

Glen Elliott February 24th, 2004 12:29 PM

Sorry such a late reply Rob...

I was trying to capture analog using my GL-1 as a pass through. In other words I didn't want to capture it to DV tape....I wanted to go straight from VCR to Hardrive...via the GL-1. Thanks for the help though!

Albert Rodgers February 24th, 2004 10:52 PM

Hey Glen,
I don't know if you have successfully done your analog to digital conversion for capturing using Vegas, but here is what I do to connect a VCR to GL2 to my computer for capture.

I connect the s-video cable from VCR to GL2 and then the composite audio cable from VCR to A/V in (out) on GL2. Next I connect the firewire from GL2 to HP computer. Next, I switch the GL2 to player. Go to Menu>VCR Set up -Turn AV->DV Out ON then RETURN.

Next, press play on your VCR to make sure you see a picture and hear audio in your GL1. If so, great! Cue tape.

Go to capture mode in Vegas. Go to Options>Preference>General (tab) and make sure 'Enable DV Device Control' is unchecked.

Finally, press play on your VCR and then 'Capture Video' in Vegas to capture desired footage.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Albert Rodgers

PS There is always something new to learn. I just learned how to capture live footage in Vegas. If interested, check out this Thread : Capturing Live Footage

Guy Bruner February 25th, 2004 06:56 AM

Glen Elliot and David James,
I use the Panasonic DV953 for analog conversion to DV. Turning off device controls in Vegas does nothing for making that process work in the camcorder, it just makes it possible for Vegas to ignore the fact there is no tape in the camcorder and not try to capture from tape.

It may be that the DVX100 will not pass the analog signal through to the DV out if there is a tape in the camcorder. Also, DV out may be able to be switched on and off, like analog out is on the 953, in the menus. Carefully check your menus.

In order to record on tape with the 953 in VCR mode, you have to use the IR remote to control the camcorder record function. Perhaps it is the same with the DVX.