Any news of Vegas Pro 9 for NAB? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Any news of Vegas Pro 9 for NAB?

Don't want to turn this forum into a rumor circus but I'm just curious..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There's all kinds of rumours floating around but we won't know if any of them are true until next Monday.
In the meantime, you'll just have to be as patient (yeah, right!!) as the rest of us :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Good evening,

they do not even have 8.1 working flawlessly yet,

if 9 comes out hopefully it will be complete and not an expensive update!!!
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Major Player

That's what I'm saying.. 8.x has been such a mess, might as well come out with 9...
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Here's the bottom line: Anyone who knows cannot legally tell you. Anyone who tells you doesn't know. As was mentioned, you'll just have to wait and see whether or not it happens.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Saw a blured out vegas pro 9 box. Had to run pic thru photoshop to make it out. Pic was from ad by sony I recieved in mail.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Would you recommend it?

Guys, you seem to think that Vegas is too buggy. I've been using Final Cut Express lately, but am thinking of switching to Vegas. I am really unhappy with Apple not supporting Blu-ray and multi-channel aundio, as well as with Roxio having pretty poor support with their BD authoring, I was thinking about jumping ship into Vegas. Would you recommend it? I had a demo downloaded, but it expired before I really tried it, will not let me try again.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #8

no, no, and NO!!!
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yes, Vegas is highly recommended. FCP is also a great product - if you're happy with it, why change?

Vegas is a little different in concept than most NLEs. A "power-editor" from the fcp or AVID world is going to wonder why Vegas is made the way that it is. However, lots of us like the way vegas works, very intuitive, much closer to the tao of windows than the workflows that came from the film world and were adapted to digital editing by AVID.

Buggy? Well, there are two newer functions that have turned into large issues for some people: the 32-bit float color mode, and the 64-bit version 8.1 Pro. However, aside from those, which most editors never use or experience, vegas is absolutely one of the most stable NLEs out there.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I absolutely hated Vegas when I first started using it. Too different from everything else I was using/had used. Thankfully, I gave it a chance and now I am a happy Vegas Pro user. It has also been rock solid running on Vista 64.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Major Player

"no, no, and NO!!! " - any reason I should know about?

"Yes, Vegas is highly recommended. FCP is also a great product - if you're happy with it, why change?" - I have just FCE, not FCP. It is good, I'd like to edit surround sound sometimes, and FCE cannot deal with it. The more important part is the Blu-ray generation support. The only cost effective solution that I know of in the Apple system is Roxio Toast, which has sporatic compatibility with several players, the menus are tacky, and the chapter generation doesn't work at all well. I assume that the DVD Architect Pro 5 works properly. Those are my key thoughts at the moment.

Rick, thank you for your input.

Thanks all.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Inner Circle

DVDA5 is pretty good, a very professional product. It doesn't include much in the way of templates and pre-made menus. Full capabilities to import graphics, masking, video menu backgrounds, etc., but you gotta' make all the assets to take advantage of it.

And yes, from what I understand, Vegas' is a decent approach to 5.1. I've not used it, but a buddy is working in it and has no complaints.
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I highly recommend Vegas. It's fast, intuitive, efficient, and effective. It's also a great program in terms of audio editing as well. (It actually started out as an audio editor)

Admittedly, the DVDa interface may be a bit strange but once you get used to it you will quickly learn just how flexible and powerful it is. I do almost nothing but Blu Ray now complete with 5.1 sound and Vegas does nothing short of an exellant job from the time line right to the disk.

My only complaint with Vegas is that the preview system could be a bit better. The technology used to make it work is old and needs updating. I think knows this however so I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated in the next version or 2.

As with other programs there are some issues and bugs, but work arounds have been developed and do work well.

My opinion.... you can't go wrong with Vegas.
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #14
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

I compared a number of NLEs before I moved to Vegas from Newtek's SpeedEDIT, which itself is a bit different than the "traditional" NLEs, and I'm very happy with Vegas.

I've found Vegas to be very stable and full featured. I've yet to find something that I actually need to do that I can't do in Vegas either natively or via scripts or plug-ins. The bus structure of Vegas for both audio and video is VERY powerful.

No NLE is perfect, but I find Vegas to be better than any other NLE I've used.
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Vegas is a little different in concept than most NLEs. A "power-editor" from the fcp or AVID world is going to wonder why Vegas is made the way that it is. However, lots of us like the way vegas works, very intuitive, much closer to the tao of windows than the workflows that came from the film world and were adapted to digital editing by AVID.
Wow. I've never heard the Vegas 'workflow' described so succinctly before. It's a true concept though. Many computer applications copy an existing workflow - sometimes conciously and sometimes not.

I find that over time, the new workflows tend to be adopted once the Joe Schmoes start outproducing the old schoolers to the point where serious career money becomes an issue. But it takes a long time to overcome the old school gravity - this is true for any workflow that has been automated.

In my day job as a SW programmer, I see many things in the Linux world which are touted as the next greatest thing, but have been around for decades in the Windows PC world.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...