DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   WMV output... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/20622-wmv-output.html)

Glen Elliott January 30th, 2004 11:57 AM

WMV output...

I see two different types of WMV to output- what is the difference between the two?

Peter Sieben January 30th, 2004 12:33 PM

Isn't that version Media 8 and Media 9?
I advise to use the Media version 9 as it has a far better compression ratio/quality.

Glen Elliott January 30th, 2004 02:15 PM

So if I render it as WMV 9 and someone has an older version of media player (and and below) it won't play?

Jean-Philippe Archibald January 30th, 2004 02:47 PM

Window Media Player automatically download needed codec when there is an active internet connection. So I think that even version 7 or 8 is able to play WMV 9 file format.

Joe Sacher January 30th, 2004 03:16 PM

Any version of Windows Media player 7 in Windows or higher can download and play the WM9 codec. However, some versions of Windows Media in other OSes are much better with Windows Media 8 files. I've been encoding with that for compatibility for quite a while for all the videos I upload to IndianapolisFilm.Net. Most of the mac users can play them just fine, where they had problems with WM9.

Peter Sieben January 30th, 2004 04:28 PM

Wasn't there a recent MS upgrade to Media 9 for MAC computers?

Imran Zaidi January 30th, 2004 04:34 PM

Yes, several folks nearby have OSX and have successfully installed the WM9 player for OSX. No problems thus far (been 2-3 weeks).

Ian Stark February 2nd, 2004 09:16 AM

I put my showreel up on my website in WMP9 format and I know that some people had problems, namely they could hear the audio but not see the picture. It appears that they had WMP8 or earlier and upgrading to WMP9 sorted it out.

The fact that WMP7 and better can automatically download the codec for WMP9 makes me wonder if the people that had problems were on dial-ups or couldn't connect to the internet for some reason.

I've since put up Real and QT versions to cater for the masses!

Glen Elliott February 2nd, 2004 11:04 AM

Another WMV question....

I see a PAL preset for MPG1/2 output but none for WMV. How do I output PAL footage as WMV format? Do I have to go through the settings and manually set everything (resolution, frame-rate, etc)?

Tor Salomonsen February 2nd, 2004 11:16 AM

Ian,
Don't know about the masses, but I prefer wmv over real and QT. Particularly real is notorious for leaving spy-ware in your machine.
By the way, I believe anyone can disable the automatic download of new codecs in Media player.

Glen,
There's no PAL format in wmv. It's just wmv. You can set it to 25 fps if you want, or more, or less. And you can save your own presets.
TIP: If you render to wmv at a high bitrate you have a good storing format - better than MPEG.

Ian Stark February 2nd, 2004 11:31 AM

Tor, I absolutely agree - especially regarding Real. Also, the Real player seems to take a lot longer to load up a movie and play. Not much experience of QT so I can't really comment. I am also a WMV preferer.

The only reason I have multiple formats is that my site is promoting me and I know that if ever I can't get to see something first time, I give up and go elsewhere - I want to make sure that anyone wanting to see my showreel can do so without hitch. Otherwise I may be losing work.

BTW <start shameless boast> I've just been hired to narrate a docu-spoof being shot in Russia and I have to go to Moscow in a couple of weeks to record the v/o. They found me from my web site and liked the showreel and voicereels, so I guess it pays to be safe! <end shameless boast>.

Graham Bernard February 2nd, 2004 11:46 AM

WMV is Great!

I adore WMV 8 or 9. The quality is great and have used it to share between members of the family. I've tried the various rates for modems, and have created files from 256kps up to 3mps. Is there adiffence when viewing on a pc? I don't send these files by broadband, it's only to get the best quality. I've presently got a 3mps, 27minute video - I think its around 530mbs - on a 20 pence cd, it works, it plays and it sounds great . . no need here to create a dvd . . . I suppose what I'm saying is to choose that medium fior the audience will be pleased with. Mostly it's case of accessibility . . most people have a pc with WMP on it . . so there you go . . .

Grazie

Bill Ravens February 2nd, 2004 04:35 PM

wmv9 is really mpeg4. some of the newer mpeg4 variations are better...like DiVx, on2's VP6, or Xvid.