Vegas Pro 9 available for pre-order - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #136
Inner Circle

After bargaining comes depression (when you find out the new release fixed all the old flaws but has lots of new ones) and finally acceptance (hoping Sony will fix the flaws in the next update).

:-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #137
Trustee

I've upgraded with each new version since v6 and have sold on my previous version each time, recouping all my upgrade costs. I plan to do the same again.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #138
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I've upgraded with each new version since v6 and have sold on my previous version each time, recouping all my upgrade costs. I plan to do the same again.
Renton, how would i go about doing this ?
I currently have pro 8 and i'd like to upgrade to 9 but did'nt realise i could sell 8, if i did sell 8 then i presume it'd get registered to someone else.
So how does the upgrade to 9 process go, (i've never upgraded before) ?
I presume i go to the sony site, hit the upgrade (to pro 9 ) button and somewhere during the purchase i have to supply my pro 8 activation key.
I then get a pro 9 download and a new pro 9 key ? Or do i use my pro 8 key ?
My point is, if i sell pro 8 i presume the key goes with it what happens if my pc with pro 9 on it crashes in the future and i need to reinstall 9 ? What activation key do i use ?

Paul.
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #139
Major Player

Hmm, my only wish for Vegas 9 is that the preview to DV firewire has to work with crossfade and 1 title track in full quality, without dropping frames!
I dont know why Vegas cant do this even on my core2duo system,
when Edius for example from version 2 or 3 can do on my older and far slower
Athlon XP system... :(
Don't misunderstand me, i like and use Vegas, but it would be good this function!

Anybody have a system that can make a simple DV to DV dissolve to firewire in full quality at 50/60i speed? If yes, please write your system specs here.

THX
Marton
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #140
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Renton, how would i go about doing this ?
I'm not Renton but here's my understanding on how this works.
You're on record with Sony as having purchased Vegas 8 Pro.
When you go to buy the upgrade, you use this serial number (it's part of the purchasing process) to get the discount price on the upgrade.
You get a new serial number when you purchase version 9 so you're covered in case of crashes, reinstalls, etc.
When you sell your old version, the purchaser registers it and gets a new serial number from Sony.
If the version you sell was used for an upgrade from a previous version, the purchaser can't use it to get the discounted price to upgrade to the latest version.
Hope this helps.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #141
Trustee

Cheers Mike, that all makes sense.
I get a new number when i buy the upgrade, that was my main concern.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #142
Sponsor: JET DV

Paul, to extend on what Mike said...

YOU must contact customer service. You then tell them what you're doing (i.e. selling Vegas Pro 8 to another party), they'll need your serial number, you confirm who you are, you tell them who the recipient is, and they will send THEM a new serial number. NOTE that the NEW serial number CANNOT be used for any upgrades so the person you sell it to cannot upgrade.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #143
Trustee

I was thinking that it would be something along those lines, thanks Edward.

Paul.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #144
Inner Circle

Edward, thanks for the clairification on this issue.
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #145
Trustee

Selling on seems to have been covered well enough so I won't repeat.

There are people who are quite willing to buy without the possibility of upgrade, because they are content to have a great program at cheap cost, even though it is not the latest greatest...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #146
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
...With v8 things were different - there was the new ProType Titler, for example, which had me giggling with anticipation. And then I saw it . . . ! And then I tried to USE it! This time I'm being cautious.
Ian, I hear you on the pro type titler. I never figured it out and in reality, I was getting professional titling results out of the built-in generators. Most of the "effects" the pro type enabled where hokey in my opinion anyways so I never saw that as a loss. I upgraded to V8 for the blu-ray support and upgraded coding, similar reasons for going to v9. i don't have new blue FX either so that is a nice bonus (i think) and I am hoping to migrate to XDCAM EX within a yr or so and I am always of the opinion that it is better to be ahead of the curve on your editors and system and behind the curve on the cameras. You can learn a new camera on the fly but learning the limitations of your editing software (IMHO) during a mission critical job is bad mojo.

I appreciate your skepticism (and Jeff's) and value your opinion and experience. It helps me keep my optimism in check. But I will be honest, I feel like a kid 3 days before xmas, I am ready for today to be the 11th...
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #147
Major Player

After reading the information on the Video Guys site and thinking about it for a while I just ordered the updrade.

With my new Sony HDR-XR500V camera, it looks like Vegas 9 will (should) be quite helpful for my needs.

I tried NEO Scene and do not like it at all! Files are way too big and quality is not the same as the originals, not even close and the playback is not that much better.

So I am hoping Vegas 9 will improve the playback of my files.

I love the new camera! Great video even with the lowest quality and bit rate setting. Low light is excellent as well.

The review at the severely biased CCI should be 100% ignored.

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #148
Major Player

So I have a quick question for everyone who preordered. I logged in to my profile at Sony Creative Software, and my pre-order doesn't show up. I also checked my bill, and the charge hasn't posted. I trolled back through my email inbox and don't see an order confirmation email either. Is this because it is a pre-order or should I contact customer support? I am chomping at the bit for tomorrow's install.

For those who already purchased, does your pre-order show in your profile at SCS? Did you receive a confirmation email when you placed your order?

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #149
Regular Crew

No. I ordered today and got the message I would not receive the confirming e-mail until it was available for download. It also does not appear in my software listing. It did give one a receipt to print out as proof of purchase.
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #150
Major Player

Thanks! With the clock counting down to the expected deadline, I guess I was just getting a little paranoid... :) Thanks for easing my mind.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...