Vegas Pro 9 available for pre-order - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Vegas Production Assistant at $169 is suspiciously similar in features to Ultimate S and Excalibur.

I was intigued with the feature described as follows:

"Automatically swap placeholder slugs with program media".

What is this, anyone know?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Now, had the functionality of the Vegas Production Assistant been included in v9, it may have sweetened the deal for me. It is clearly a rehash of Ultimate S, as you suggested Jeff, and doesn't appear to have anything new in it. Useful tools, but if you have Excalibur or are already an owner of Ultimate S it seems redundant.

And the fact that the UK price is $40 more than the US price gives me that 'being gouged' feeling again. For me it would be cheaper to buy Ultimate S direct from VASST at $169 - or will they be discontinuing it? Spot?

To answer your specific question, Jeff, this is taken from the VASST Ultimate S product description. I suspect it's the same thing:

'The Media Swapper allows any format to be swapped out for any other format video in the Vegas Pro 8 timeline. Got a bunch of proxy avi files you want to swap out for uncompressed HD or AVCHD master files? Got a bunch of TIFF files you'd like to swap out for PNG files, no problem. The Media Swapper is the one-touch solution!'

And from the New Features in Ultimate S 4 document:

'New: Media Swapper can swap any media for any other media by file
extension. Swap mt2 for avi and back, swap jpg for png, swap anything you
want. Multiple targets can be define for a single swap (i.e., swap all m2t,
m2ts, & mxf, to avi in one swap)'
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I thought the same thing about Vegas Production Assistant when I first read the description.
Then I read some comments (below) from DSE about VPA and realized that I may have been too hasty.
He promises more info after the big Vegas party tonight :-)

A demo of production assistant is in the box.
It does a lot of what Ultimate S does, and a lot more than any other scripting app out there. It's less than Ultimate S as well, and includes a lot of lower thirds, film looks, etc. It's got some very unique features that are much easier shown than explained.
Including pre-editing, etc. Come by the Sony booth and see it working. It's a well thought-out application that in some circles, is way past due.
Imagine putting a CF or SDHC card in your reader (with no apps open) and go grab a cup of coffee....60 seconds later, the files will have been imported, laid up on the timeline, titles inserted, and only fine cuts needed (depending on your shooting technique, of course).
In one broadcast application, Production Assistant shaved 25 minutes off a 30 minute workflow. :-)
Fun stuff indeed.

Price-wise, it's less than Ultimate S, and does quite a bit more, not to mention that it has several similar features to Ultimate S.
It's actually a very powerful, fast tool that doesn't need to have Vegas open to do some of the work it does....
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Media swapper appears to be similar to VASST Gearshift, having more features for swapping minus the ability to create the proxies.
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #35
Major Player

I am positive that the production assistant been created for Sony by Vasst group.
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #36
Major Player

The actual price of the pre-order / download for Vegas 8 to 9 is $184.95. I put it in the cart and it registered as $234.95 then passed through some kind of discount offer and it came out at the lower price. $184.95 isn't a bad price at all--a nice surprise. Can't download it until May 11th though.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #37
New Boot

The production assistant sounds like something that should be part of the program. Not a add on you have to pay for. Now if its another company I can see that but sony no.
Anthony Auci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #38
Space Hipster

On paper, I think this upgrade rocks. I have a terabyte of RedCine exports for one set of 15 second spots I can dump, I really, really need 4k support, image sequence export to DPX and EXR, need the new color management for 32-bit/wide gamut monitors etc, etc.

As long as it's as stable as v8 (which has been pretty stable for me) and better on x64 than 8.1 is, it will be a winner in my book.

And $185 (in the US) is dirt cheap for upgrade.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Expected ship date 5/11/2009 12:00:00 AM.

Product info

Promo offer

BTW, upgrade pricing is still only $234.95 download or $249.95 boxed.
this is great news but I would have been even happier if they announced an OS X version. I recently purchased Final Cut Express thinking it would improve my workflow on my two macs (as opposed to running vegas in a VMware virtual machine or bootcamp) but I was SORELY mistaken.

I'm wondering if there are improvements to timeline preview performance for 5D Mark II files.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren View Post

And $185 (in the US) is dirt cheap for upgrade.
where are you seeing that price?! I have only found the $234 for the download.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Pretend that you're going to buy it.
At the 2nd or 3rd step of this process, you'll see the $50 discount get applied.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM   #42
Inner Circle

I can confirm that. I bought download version last night, and even was given the bonus software. I chose Audio Studio--- maybe someday they will have an upgrade for that to Sound Forge on sale....

One thing is they won't let you download anything until the 11th of May, and they promise to send you links at that time.
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post

I'm wondering if there are improvements to timeline preview performance for 5D Mark II files.
I was looking for that too, but I haven't seen any mention of preview performance improvement. However, I have been using my NeoScene to convert and edit in 8 c. and preview does fine.
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:57 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Keith, IMO until they add hardware support I suspect we will not see much in the way of any significant improvement for preview of anything.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Question for long-time Vegas upgraders:

What happens if you skip this upgrade and wait until Vegas 10 comes out? Is it better (dollar wise) to buy this upgrade AND the next one, or can you save some money by skipping this upgrade? (I am ignoring whether Vegas 9 has enough additional functionality to justify a purchase now.)

Thanks.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...