Vegas Pro 9 available for pre-order - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #76
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jasany View Post
Vegas is the only app that's keeping me in the PC world. If it weren't for Vegas, I probably would switch to a Mac laptop for my next PC, which is not far off...So, that's my dilemma with upgrading to Vegas 9.
Same here, the only reason I still have a PC around is Vegas and Acid. But Sony is notorious for only making software for PCs, so I doubt we'll ever see a Mac version. In the end, that's what is making me seriously balk at the upgrade to Vegas 9. But the Vegas Pro Production Assistant is keeping me in the game. The listed features are very cool for the stuff I do.
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #77
Major Player

It's not a simple matter to just port something over to the MAC, particularly something as involved as an NLE. Vegas is and always will be a PC application, it relies heavily on the underlying Windows APIs. Porting it over to the MAC would require a complete rewrite and that just isn't going to happen.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #78
Inner Circle

I have Vegas 6. How do I upgrade to 9? Do I have to buy 7 and 8?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I have Vegas 6. How do I upgrade to 9? Do I have to buy 7 and 8?
No, you can go straight from v6 to v9.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #80
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Anyone know if Vegas Pro 9 will now allow velocity ramp up/down greater than 300%?
It works the same as previous versions. You can go up to 300% using a velocity envelope. You can go up to 400% using the playback rate (either right-click the clip and choose Properties or hold down the CTRL key while resizing the event). Plus you can combine the two to get up to 12x at once.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #81
Major Player

I think most people here are misunderstanding those of us who are 'complaining' about the features in this release..

From what I can tell, nobody is really complaining that the features added are useless.. I'm perfectly happy to see RED support, support for larger images (Gigapixel images? How many is that anyway compared to my 10 "mega"pixel cameras resolution?), and a new grey interface that can be easily manipulated... Nobody here has a problem with those additions..

The problem is that when SCS has a major product release and this is ALL that you see in the update, features that mostly don't apply to the majority of users, many of us are scratching our heads...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
...support for larger images (Gigapixel images? How many is that anyway compared to my 10 "mega"pixel cameras resolution?)...
One guy on the Sony Vegas forum read that it's 40K x 25K.
Here's a link to one to give you an idea of the size and zoom capability :-)
Here's the Wikipedia definition of a gigapixel image.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
That's correct, 40,000 times 25,000 = 1 billion

Gigapixel images (or just really large panoramas) are easy to create using "AutoPano Pro" or the CS4 version of Phtotoshop. Although, I much prefer AutoPano Pro. You just take a bunch of overlapping images, throw them at the program and it will automatically and seamlessly stitch them together into one large image.

AutoPano Pro - Panorama stitching software - Panoramic photo software - image stitching
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #84
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Here's a link to one to give you an idea of the size and zoom capability :-)
Here's the Wikipedia definition of a gigapixel image.
hehe, jeeez... I'm really glad they added support for this. :-) 150 TIMES!! the resolution of a 6 megapixel camera... What that probably tells me is that Vegas is likely to handle all still images better than before which is good... It's just not what I have been waiting 15 months for...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #85
Trustee

Have you zoomed in and checked out the wall of media and also the cameras on the tower. It looks really cold where ever this was shot.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #86
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
It looks really cold where ever this was shot.
Wild stab in the dark, but how about January 20th 2009 on the West Steps of the US Capitol, Washington DC?!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #87
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

I've seen requests for preview improvements mentioned a number of times in this thread. And I certainly agree that's needed.

Well, that was a big thing actually mentioned at NAB. I even talked with one of the SCS engineers for more details about it. They are still using Video for Windows, but they now have optimized multi-core/multi-CPU rendering for the preview display. He said it would improve preview a lot on new quad core machines, and he even felt it would make a noticable difference on my ancient dual-Xeon hyperthreaded machine.

On the dual-Quad machine I played with there, it was playing 4K RED footage in a 2K project perfectly smooth for me at Best (full).
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #88
Trustee

Yeah Ian, as soon as I posted I thought about it.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kosarovich View Post
I've seen requests for preview improvements mentioned a number of times in this thread. And I certainly agree that's needed.

Well, that was a big thing actually mentioned at NAB. I even talked with one of the SCS engineers for more details about it. They are still using Video for Windows, but they now have optimized multi-core/multi-CPU rendering for the preview display. He said it would improve preview a lot on new quad core machines, and he even felt it would make a noticable difference on my ancient dual-Xeon hyperthreaded machine.

On the dual-Quad machine I played with there, it was playing 4K RED footage in a 2K project perfectly smooth for me at Best (full).
that's great to hear - I'm hoping this makes editing native 5d footage on the timeline that much easier. I purchased neo scene and it helps a lot, but if i could skip that step it would speed things in my workflow immensely.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #90
Inner Circle

>>>optimized multi-core/multi-CPU rendering for the preview display. He said it would improve preview a lot on new quad core machines<<<

At last an improvement that I REALLY want and would upgrade for - when I've seen other users' confirmation that it makes a noticeable difference, of course!

Simon - sorry mate - couldn't resist!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...