Vegas Pro 9 available for pre-order - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #91
Inner Circle

I agree that improved preview performance would be nice. If Vegas could match the preview performance of Edius I would be pretty darn happy.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #92
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I agree that improved preview performance would be nice. If Vegas could match the preview performance of Edius I would be pretty darn happy.
My work flow is Edius for Video, Vegas for audio and DVDA for authoring. This release has nothing in it for me but I usually skip a year for upgrades anyway since my main use is audio from the days of Vegas audio. Only difference is single track AVCHD which is Vegas.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #93
Major Player

The cost of upgrades has always been quite reasonable, so I upgrade regardless. There is always some new feature, no matter how seemingly insignificant, that allows me to be more productive.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #94
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline View Post
The cost of upgrades has always been quite reasonable, so I upgrade regardless. There is always some new feature, no matter how seemingly insignificant, that allows me to be more productive.
As I said, my main use of Vegas is as a multitrack audio editor and in this respect it hasn't changed for years. I upgraded to Vegas 8 to get AVCHD and DVDA and the next release will be one I will get so that I am not too far out of sequence.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #95
Major Player

I have bought the upgrade, because I also always find something new and worth the price and update automatically. My question now is, what is the proper way to upgrade so that I won't loose my preference settings -- or is that still not possible?
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #96
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post
My question now is, what is the proper way to upgrade so that I won't loose my preference settings -- or is that still not possible?
Remember that 9 will be a totally separate installation from any other versions of Vegas you have installed. Therefore you'll need to set your preferences as you desire after installing the new version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #97
Major Player

That new, eh? :)
Will it help if I make screen prints of my current settings or will the new version have preferences laid out in so many different ways to not make the screen prints worth the trouble?
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Paul, there's only a few places in Prefs where the settings are important and I make those changes a part of the initial set-up when I install a new version.
You definitely don't want your Temp or Pre-render directories to point to C:\ My Documents.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #99
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
You definitely don't want your Temp or Pre-render directories to point to C:\ My Documents.
I'm experienced enough to know that one, but some other settings are items that I discovered in these forums as settings that helped improve my playback performance etc. and since I just emulated something I have little understanding of but proved to be a true improvement, I wouldn't remember what I had ever done.

It won't hurt me to make those screen prints.

On the issue of the darker GUI, I must say I am looking forward to it. If someone has the impression that it is an issue hardly ever mentioned here, I'd like to say that it became hardly worth bringing up anymore since nothing was being done about it; it would be like beating a dead horse. I work with three large, wide angle monitors and I work at least 12 hrs a day, often more, and the glare coming from those monitors does ware me out. My other application is just the opposite; all blacks and I spend equal time on both. Getting back to the black one always comes as a huge relief, even a mood changer.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #100
Inner Circle

Quote:
...but some other settings are items that I discovered in these forums as settings that helped improve my playback performance etc....
Paul, now you have me curious.
What specific settings are you referring to?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #101
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Paul, now you have me curious.
What specific settings are you referring to?
See? If I would remember I wouldn't be worried about loosing these. It's usually some combination of settings someone explains well and I just try out and leave it that way if it helps some. This applies probably more often to rendering selections which improve playback for my clients. Maybe it would help if I told you I'm 73. :)
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #102
Inner Circle

Actually Paul, all you have to do when using 9 is open an instance of Vegas 8 (remember these are separate programs) peek at your old settings and then change them in Vegas 9.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #103
Major Player

Thanks, Jeff, and course, I forgot all about that one too!
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #104
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
That new, eh? :)
Will it help if I make screen prints of my current settings or will the new version have preferences laid out in so many different ways to not make the screen prints worth the trouble?
Screen prints could be helpful. While some screens have changed, I don't recall any settings changing screens. So just capture the preference tabs you've changed and you should be good to go.

I, personally, don't change over about a half dozen settings and they're easy to remember. So I just pop into File - Properties, set my defaults, and then Options - Preferences and change a few more entries and I'm done.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #105
Inner Circle

Quote:
It's usually some combination of settings someone explains well and I just try out and leave it that way if it helps some. This applies probably more often to rendering selections which improve playback for my clients.
If you're referring to custom render templates, I've got a pile of them myself and would be lost without some of them.
Here's where they're stored on your computer and how to move them around if you need to.

All of the custom rendering templates are in:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\File Templates
Where <username> is your windows account name.
Just copy them over to your new PC and they should be recognized.

Quote:
Maybe it would help if I told you I'm 73. :)
I'll be 58 soon so I'm not that far behind you :-O
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...