Vegas Pro 9 available for pre-order - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
I'll be 58 soon so I'm not that far behind you :-O
Ah, the things I could remember back then... but on the other hand....

Thanks Mike, I needed to know that.
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #107
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
I think most people here are misunderstanding those of us who are 'complaining' about the features in this release..

From what I can tell, nobody is really complaining that the features added are useless.. I'm perfectly happy to see RED support, support for larger images (Gigapixel images? How many is that anyway compared to my 10 "mega"pixel cameras resolution?), and a new grey interface that can be easily manipulated... Nobody here has a problem with those additions..

The problem is that when SCS has a major product release and this is ALL that you see in the update, features that mostly don't apply to the majority of users, many of us are scratching our heads...

Jon
Exactly! Fixing things that don't won't work well in the previous version is commendable. Adding support for new formats is nice, but Sony benefits from an expanded market. Changing the screen color is wonderful, but it's not a new feature. This version provides almost no improvement in across-the-board functionality. Almost everything that supposedly should make me want to upgrade, was available previously as a workaround or with a minimal purchase. There's just no enough substance. This should have been called 8.5 IMO.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #108
Major Player

Well, I received a letter in the mail informing me about the 'One-Time Payment Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act'.

So, it looks like Obama is buying the Vegas Pro 9 upgrade along with a movie and lunch for me.

LOL!

HA! I didn't even vote for him...

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Danny you're forgetting the cardinal rule of business..."There is no free lunch" I haven't gotten that letter yet myself, but the song "The devil went down to Independence, MO" comes to mind. I don't know if I would sell my soul for Vegas 9...mostly because I'm still trying to get 8 to work right!!! Maybe I'll let President Palin buy it for me in 3 years, 263 days, 4 hours…Well you get the picture
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #110
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Danny you're forgetting the cardinal rule of business..."There is no free lunch" I haven't gotten that letter yet myself, but the song "The devil went down to Independence, MO" comes to mind. I don't know if I would sell my soul for Vegas 9...mostly because I'm still trying to get 8 to work right!!! Maybe I'll let President Palin buy it for me in 3 years, 263 days, 4 hours…Well you get the picture
Well, I guess we can get into politics and all but since my message was for the sake of humor, I will let it be.

Hmmm, maybe we should send a copy of Vegas Pro 9 or will it be 11 by then to Palin to slick up her video editing abilities? LOL!

Have fun,

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Exactly! Fixing things that don't won't work well in the previous version is commendable.
And why exactly have people figured that various things haven't been fixed??? Just because they don't mention it??

Can we say..... "jumping to conclusions"?
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #112
Major Player

Because, frankly, it's just common sense that if they add a new feature, enhance an existing functionality, or increase the speed of some function, they mention it in their marketing material to try and "sell" the product.

It's been my experience that companies tend to over push the envelope with their marketing tactics.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM   #113
Inner Circle

Quote:
It's been my experience that companies tend to over push the envelope with their marketing tactics.
And then some!

Many of us do it. Just looking at the websites of many of the professionals on this forum who, when posting, are open about the fact that they are one man bands, reveals a lot of 'we can . . . ' and 'our team is always ready to . . .' and 'operating from studios using cutting edge technology . . .' statements.

In reality these often should read 'I can . . . probably', 'I am always ready . . . unless I have another job on' and 'operating from a converted garage with a prosumer camera and a copy of Vegas'!

Take a look at my site as a great example of overhype. OK, there are now three of us, and soon to be five, but only last year it was just me, and my site was still talking about 'we' as though I had a bunch of employees. Now I really do have a small studio, but last year - my garage.

BUT, we do this so we can attract new business - we don't try and convince existing clients (who have first hand knowledge of how big the business is) that we are something more than we really are, because we will be found out!

And here, at last, is my point: fixing things that didn't previously work or were previously substandard should NOT count as an upgrade! Maybe a point release, as Paul Cascio suggested.

I'm siding with the 'disappointed' group here, I'm afraid. This is not about how much the upgrade costs - it's that there are too few major enhancements that are desirable or useful to the majority of users. No, hang on, to ME! That's who I'm really talking about, if I'm honest.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM   #114
Regular Crew

Quote:
Because, frankly, it's just common sense that if they add a new feature, enhance an existing functionality, or increase the speed of some function, they mention it in their marketing material to try and "sell" the product.

Jon
Mmmmm.... I see. So you think that publicizing bugs and such, especially to new potential customers.... is great marketing tactic???

They fixed the black frame problem a while back and didn't advertise that. I guess that was a great mistake in their marketing department.... right? ;)
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:00 AM   #115
Inner Circle

I agree price isn't the issue. This release is borrrring. Look at the buzz, or lack of it.

Note to Sony: Please remove the sickeningly cheesey DVD templates titled Groovy, Birthday, Flower Power, Wood, and Funky. Funky? Does Sony even have a clue? Funky is a derogatory term nowadays, not a good one. Funky means bad, as in "It sucks". So I guess it fits. It is funky. Has anyone here even seen the wedding DVD templates? The sports templates? The button selection? The button selection looks like it was dreamed up by a community college dropout 20 years ago.

This is some seriously dated crap.

I admit I had to learn to make creative and beautiful DVD menus for my customers specifically because there is nothing offered in DVDA. So I guess that is a good thing.

Where is GPU support for NVidia graphics cards, the abiltity to render flv files, new tasteful 3d and 2d DVD menu templates, the inlcusion of a sigificant number of new transitions and fx, 32 bit plug ins working with Vegas 64 bit. As the cineform issues with 64 bit Vegas shows, Sony is making the world come to it, not vice versa. Sony does not play well with others, but this is already well known, so the point is moot I suppose. Can anyone say corporate snob?

Give me tools to help me dazzle my customers and make my work easier. I don't need to spend $$$ on third party software to make a flash video. Give me hardware support. Throw me a bone here people.

Those who think this is a worthwhile release are welcome to feel that way. But I believe there are myriad options Sony has to beef up this product and make it more exciting.

I enjoy Vegas because IMO it is stable and easy to use. But I shouldn't have to keep paying for that stability over and over again with these snoozer upgrades.

Instead you have a few people here and there defending it against those who are disappointed with it. Very few users, unless I missed it, seem truly excited about this upgrade. The prospect of a new GUI is fine, but my god, have we gotten so desperate for some excitement with this product we are even debating how great a new GUI will be?

I might be wrong here, but I think that a significant number of Vegas users are wedding videographers, sports and corporate videographers. Help us out. Red support? Well and good, but how many wedding and small corporate types are using Red hardware? Raise you hands please.

If Sony releases an upgrade as boring as this again and you see me get excited about it, shoot me and put me out of my misery.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM   #116
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bellford View Post
Mmmmm.... I see. So you think that publicizing bugs and such, especially to new potential customers.... is great marketing tactic???

They fixed the black frame problem a while back and didn't advertise that. I guess that was a great mistake in their marketing department.... right? ;)

Jack,

Go back and read my post please... I mentioned..

"it's just common sense that if they add a new feature, enhance an existing functionality, or increase the speed of some function"

Where in there do you see in the text I wrote (and you quoted) bug fixes such as the black frame issue should be billed as new?

I don't expect them to list bug fixes, when/if they speed up the rendering process by 20-30% I expect them to say "Rendering now up to 30% faster!!!" When the preview playback has been enhanced for better visual quality and speed improvements I expect them to say "Enhanced video playback ability", etc.

When they DONT say those things, it's a tip off that the improvements there are either completely non-existant. I am SO used to software releases as I've been using and buying software now for nearly 20 years.. I know there is as much to see when something is *not* mentioned of the stuff that is...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM   #117
Major Player

BORING Sony upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I agree price isn't the issue. This release is borrrring. Look at the buzz, or lack of it.

If Sony releases an upgrade as boring as this again and you see me get excited about it, shoot me and put me out of my misery.
Same here Jeff, i love upgrading software and buying the next gadget, i even bought cinescore for g'sakes, but I just cant be bothered to upgrade to Vegas 9.

Why don't they spend their money giving us better compression algorithm/tools? Everything we do outputs via compression to web media, DVD or blueray. I want the compressed result to look as good as the original footage.

As for that preview window........

Yawwn....
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM   #118
Inner Circle

I mainly use Edius for video and Vegas for audio. Edius has just released 5.1 free upgrade that has a lot more in it from 5.01 (like Spurs Engine support of the Firecoder Blu card from timeline etc) than the Vegas upgrade that costs real money. No I will miss this upgrade and see what the next has to offer.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM   #119
New Boot

Boy this is so much different than the sony apologist board.lol I agree this its a very weak upgrade at best and they should of fixed 8 totally before releasing 9.
Anthony Auci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #120
Inner Circle

What chaps my hide is not just this upgrade, but 8.0 was a disappointment as well.

That's two in a row.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...