Vegas Pro 9 available for pre-order - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
IMO, a new version needs to offer more than this does. This seems like it would qualify to be Vegas 8.5, but certainly not 9. The fact that Sony is touting "a darker color palette" as a feature lens evidence to the fact that this upgrade is lacking in substance for all but a few.
A darker color UI is something that has been requested by far more than just a "few" on the Sony Vegas forum. I can't fault Sony for mentioning in their marketing materials that this request has been fulfilled. In addition to this relatively small change, Vegas v9 has some significant new features and it deserves a full number upgrade.

Apparently, you feel that since Sony is taking pre-orders for this version, you are somehow entitled to "pre-complain." Why don't we all just wait until May 11th when it's on our desktops and see if there really is anything to complain about.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
By the way, are Sony seriously promoting the darker color palette as a *new feature* on Vegas Pro 9?
Yes.
This is a feature that MANY have been asking for for quite a long while. A darker UI tends to be easier on the eyes. There is a whole section on VASST.COM on how to fake the color change for previous versions by changing the colors in XP/Vista.

Well... you no longer have to jerk around with XP/Vista color schemes because you can now control it directly in Vegas.

People wanted it. Sony gave it, and they have the right to tell us it's now there.

(EDIT: I see John beat me to the answer!)
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM   #63
Major Player

I've upgraded to a new release every time since Vegas 4. And as a hobbyist who is not a heavy user of Vegas, every time I thing long and hard about the upgrade. Fortunately, Sony makes it's fairly inexpensive to upgrade.

After using an upgrade, I've always been very happy I made the decision to upgrade. There's only been a few releases that I thought I must have. But for Vegas 9, I'm really having a tough time justifying this one. About the only thing that I'm interested in is the potential benefit of handling larger size pictures on the timeline. But shouldn't have Sony fixed this a long time ago in a free upgrade or a previous major release? I've had the problem with many large pictures on a timeline, and Sony's tech support did nothing to resolve my issues.

There's no doubt Vegas 9 will look and feel cooler than 8, and I'll think it was a worthwhile investment. The little workflow enhancements are always a pleasure. But this time, I don't know. I just have to wonder what's going on at Sony that they are compelled to provide such a limited feature upgrade and call it a major release. And I also wonder how many of the original Sonic Foundry engineers are still at Sony and working on Vegas.

For me, the other thing that's going on is the whole Microsoft Vista nonsense. Vegas is the only app that's keeping me in the PC world. If it weren't for Vegas, I probably would switch to a Mac laptop for my next PC, which is not far off. If I dump the PC, I lose my investment in Vegas, plugins, and educational material. Yes I know I can run Vegas on a Mac, but I think I'm just looking for trouble with that solution.

So, that's my dilemma with upgrading to Vegas 9.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM   #64
Inner Circle

You expressed it well for me David. To me this is a middling upgrade.

Wow, Red support. I know lots of Red users (not). Wow, a new transition. That's right, ONE transition. That in and of itself is almost insulting.

So lots of people have been asking for the darker interface? I have been posting in this forum for a couple of years, never once heard it mentioned John. I'm sure what you said is true, but come on, lots of people? I'm not trying to start a debate, but please, lets get real.

I have heard people BEGGING for hardware support for better preview, or anything to improve preview performance.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM   #65
Major Player

Jeff, for the type of work that I do, this is a significant upgrade, for you, not so much. You are entitled to your opinion. A negative opinion, but an opinion nevertheless.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM   #66
Major Player

I for one can't see any reason to have an NLE edit 4K video. What's the point other than being able to slap the rediculous "Support RED" logo on the promo material. Like every other NLE on the market it's probably going to suck at working with 4K files. There is no point what so ever going over 2K on a timeline (and even that is rediculous for 99,99% of Vegas users). Editing .r3d is just such a sad waste of good CPU power. I suspect RED's RAW wavelet is a big part of the global warming problem by now.

But I'm really excited about the new support for referencing using DVI. If they do that right it's a dream come true. AAF in and out is also a very good thing.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
You expressed it well for me David. To me this is a middling upgrade.

Wow, Red support. I know lots of Red users (not). Wow, a new transition. That's right, ONE transition. That in and of itself is almost insulting.

So lots of people have been asking for the darker interface? I have been posting in this forum for a couple of years, never once heard it mentioned John. I'm sure what you said is true, but come on, lots of people? I'm not trying to start a debate, but please, lets get real.

I have heard people BEGGING for hardware support for better preview, or anything to improve preview performance.
Yes, I echo Jeff's post here 100%...

I'm not so much putting down the things they've added, just what they've left off.. Same as Jeff, I've been here a few years and have *NEVER* heard a person complain about the color scheme and have seen, literally, countless complaints on video preview performance/quality issues... If SCS is so good about listening to their customers, where were they on this one?

Not to mention that this update (from 8 to 9) has taken longer than from 6 to 7 and from 7 to 8.. I was just personally under the impression the fact this update was taking a bit longer to come out would really knock my socks off...

Instead I get RedOne Support, Gigapixel Image support (never really heard of this one lacking either, I always just frame up my stuff in photoshop prior), and a grey interface?

I'm going to likely order it because I'm a sucker for an upgrade and I happen to really like Sony... I'm just left very underwhelmed by this release.. I'll be a convert if when it comes out it turns out it shows a signficiant performance increease along with increased stability...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Munthe View Post
I for one can't see any reason to have an NLE edit 4K video. .
Do you want to see what the mention Red and 4K are doing for Vegas? Here's a quote from the Avid Liquid forums:

Quote:
Interesting, with support for Red, Vegas Pro just got a lot more pro.
http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/302316.aspx

You may not do Red, and I sure as heck don't either but in spite of that, this is NOT a bad thing at all. Vegas is a great program and really needs to gain a solid foot hold at a higher and more professional level. Moves like this are going to do just that.

To top it all off, if this was a 300 or 400 dollar upgrade then I might just gripe a little too. But after the $50 off it only amounts to an additional $184. I don't know about you but for me that amounts to mere pennies per day which will pay for itself in no time at all. I really don't see any validity to the complaints here at all.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM   #69
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline View Post
A darker color UI is something that has been requested by far more than just a "few" on the Sony Vegas forum. I can't fault Sony for mentioning in their marketing materials that this request has been fulfilled. In addition to this relatively small change, Vegas v9 has some significant new features and it deserves a full number upgrade.

Apparently, you feel that since Sony is taking pre-orders for this version, you are somehow entitled to "pre-complain." Why don't we all just wait until May 11th when it's on our desktops and see if there really is anything to complain about.
LMAO. Sources, please. I somehow have missed the clamoring for a gray background.

Why wait? Will there be new features on May 1th that haven't been revealed? If so, I will address them in my post-release complaint. For this pre-complaint I'm only dealing with the pre-release list of features.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Quote:
I somehow have missed the clamoring for a gray background.
Obviously you did.

In fact if you buy Spot's book on Vegas pro 8 it comes with a sample dvd and in it (among other things) you will find a work up of different xp color schemes specifically for the use of changing Vegas's ui color. Sony has fixed it so we don't have to do this anymore.

EDIT: In fact... here's a quote from the vegas board:
Quote:
A few years ago, if I remember rightly, Spot put out some GUI color combinations that we could use ourselves to transform our GUI into a darker palette. I'm still using mine, but I forgot how to do it. (yes, age!) Does anyone remember that or what the drill was?
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...463&Replies=16
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM   #71
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
LMAO. Sources, please. I somehow have missed the clamoring for a gray background.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...interface.html

This is one post here but it HAS been mentioned MANY times across the various forums. The solution was to change the Windows Theme which led to these:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...t-missing.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...roll-bars.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...crollbars.html
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:

Why wait? Will there be new features on May 1th that haven't been revealed? If so, I will address them in my post-release complaint. For this pre-complaint I'm only dealing with the pre-release list of features.
The darker colors aren't really much more than a perceived 'coolness'. Too much or too little contrast is what bothers my eyes. I have to turn up the brightness in photoshop as the menu text against a charcoal background is extremely irritating. A neutral gray works much better for me.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM   #73
Inner Circle

To anyone complaining about the price and/or time between releases, here's my order history (and I usually get it the day it's released).

May 10, 2004
Upgrade to Vegas 5 +DVD 2 @ $199.00

May 13, 2005
Upgrade to Vegas 6 +DVD 3 @ $199.95

September 13, 2006
Vegas 7 + DVD 4 @ $134.95

September 10, 2007
Upgrade to Vegas Pro 8 + DVD 5 @ $134.95
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #74
Major Player

Anyone know if Vegas Pro 9 will now allow velocity ramp up/down greater than 300%?

Also seeing the upgrade to Vegas 9 from Movie Studio is $499, wouldn't it make sense to purchase Movie Studio for $53 http://www.videoguys.com/Item/Sony+V...335D46535.aspx Then pay $499? You'd save about $50... Are there any restrictions on when movie studios would have to have been registered by?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #75
Inner Circle

Good evening,

It was stated, and rightly so, that adding the 4000k and suc it will bring other users to Vegas.

This is true and what is important about that, the more users you bring the more pressures will come to bear to make Vegas even more sophisticated. I will never use that but if it helps in the long haul to add more useful features then that is awesome.

I could really care less if there were 50 transitions, 99.9% all look cheesey anyway, and if I really wanted to I would make my own transitions to suit my project.

the most important of them all is the stabilized use of 64 bit, that is worth the expense in itself. Now, if I am going to have troubles with it like 8A then i will be ripped and join the complaining list!!!

I wait patiently.

I want them to buy out Twixtor and add it to 9.1!! that would make Vegas really special and draw a huge following!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...