DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Prerender issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/223172-prerender-issue.html)

Dale Guthormsen April 21st, 2009 02:10 PM

Prerender issue

Good afternoon,

Well, all was well this morning until I went to prerender a 45 second series of 3 clips that that had been heavily processed. Wanting to see them in real time I highlighted them and hit shift B. the it rendered in a few seconds, impossible. I looked at it and what had happened was the loop points jumped back to the front of the clip and were 3 seconds apart, weird!!
I then highlighted, made it a region and then hit shift B and it did the same thing.

I tried maker larger and smaller ones in differnt parts of the track and it does the same thing.

am I missing something simple here?

thank you.

Jeff Harper April 21st, 2009 02:59 PM

Dale, this won't solve your pre-render issue but it would be a workaround: I personally don't use pre-render, but instead mark a region and do a full render in a avi or highest quality wmv file. I get a better perspective than watching throught the preview window. For faster render I render to mpg if I don't need or want to hear the audio.

Mike Kujbida April 21st, 2009 03:15 PM

Dale, you're confusing RAM render (Shift+B) with Pre-render (Shift+M).

RAM render is totally dependent on how much RAM you've assigned to this task.
The setting is found in Options - Preferences - Video.

Pre-render renders the section to a folder location that you set in File - Properties.

Dale Guthormsen April 21st, 2009 03:27 PM

Jeff,

that is a good idea and I have done that the odd time when using programs like Neat.

I just thought it would be easier this way.

Mike,

Vegas says i have a gig available for this (this old machine has two gigs of ram). If i move it up farely high it says it will cause a paging issue that will slow down preview.

what would be normal usage>??

Mike Kujbida April 21st, 2009 03:37 PM

Dale, I've got 2 gigs as well but Vegas Pro 8 (XP Pro SP2) will only let me use 1 gig at the most.
I generally leave this set to 128 MB for render purposes.
If I need to do a RAM render, then I'll bump it up to 1024 MB.
Render threads are set to 4.

I don't have paging issues as I have 3 drives on my system and don't use my OS for paging purposes.
I also let Windows manage it for me.
I know that some folks say to do it differently but it hasn't given me any grief doing it this way.

Jason Robinson April 22nd, 2009 01:53 PM

That doesn't sound like you did a pre-render... it sounds like you did a render to RAM.

Pre-render (where it writes outa full AVI file to the temp folder) is Shft-M, right?

Mike Kujbida April 22nd, 2009 02:34 PM

That's correct Jason.

Dale Guthormsen April 22nd, 2009 09:36 PM

Good evening,

In prem pro when you arre done doing some fx or cc you just hit enter and it renders for you and will play real time.

All I really want is to have it rendered on the time line so it can play at a full 29 frames/sec. it would also seem that it should hold this render , provided it is not changed, so that when you render the whole project later much of it is already finished and reduces render times as well.

I reckon the ram render is only temporary, can I do it as I mentioned above??

thanks

Jeff Harper April 22nd, 2009 09:53 PM

Dale, look up pre render in the help files, it will explain it pretty well.

Seth Bloombaum April 23rd, 2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 1126495)
...All I really want is to have it rendered on the time line so it can play at a full 29 frames/sec. it would also seem that it should hold this render , provided it is not changed, so that when you render the whole project later much of it is already finished and reduces render times as well.

I reckon the ram render is only temporary, can I do it as I mentioned above??

Yes, this is what prerender (shift-m) does, exactly. And you're right, ram render is very temporary.

Jason Robinson April 24th, 2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1128396)
Yes, this is what prerender (shift-m) does, exactly. And you're right, ram render is very temporary.

AND ram render is limited to the amount of physical ram available, where as pre-render, is jsut raw AVI files stored in the temp dir.