3rd party h/w and Sony Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Major Player

3rd party h/w and Sony Vegas

I have been hungering for a matrox MX0 box for 2 years, and got out my credit card to purchase the new Matrox MX02 Mini when (and why am I surprised?) I read that whereas Matrox will support Premiere on PC, it wont support Vegas.

Matrox MXO2 Mini - Overview

This is now the problem with Vegas - where is it going in terms of 3rd party support?

I think we all felt immensely lucky when Red Giant released a version of their superb colour correction tool MB Looks - but look on the web site - everything else is for Premiere.

As for hardware, how much faster would our workflow be if we could have the option of h/w support like FCP or Avid does for capturing or rendering?

We editors supply the creativity, Sony should supply the brute processing. Instead its just f...fiddling about with little tweaks here and there on its upgrades.

The majority of its customers will be at some point doing HDV capture, edit, colour correction, render to DVD, author in DVDA. Thats the critical path. But Sony's focus is mainly on 1 aspect when it comes to upgrades, the "edit" part, the rest hasn't improved since Vegas 5 or 6.

Sorry but my two-penneth worth.

Last edited by Sherif Choudhry; May 4th, 2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Made it less "angry"
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would like to see GPU support for rendering

My two cents.

Just to let you know I to have looked to third party hardware or software solutions to add performance or features to Vegas. Since I went to the i7 core Dell I have been editing AVCHD with no issues at all. I would like to see Sony take advantage of the tremendous computing power of today's video cards to enhance preview and rendering but no longer see the need to buy third party accelerators with the processors we today.

Frank
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

We have spoken to both Matrox and Sony about the great opportunity that wouldbe created with the marriage of Vegas 9 and MXO2 Mini. I know they are both looking into it. Hopefully it won;t require a whole lot of engineering to make it fly.

Gary
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Matrox support Vegas

Its not just about acceleration (but I agree Sony should exploit i7 further) , its about paying attention to the whole workflow, thats why FCP is so popular. Vegas is a great editor (because of its drag/drop power) but the rest of its workflow is poor in comparison.

Take a look at the Matrox products, any Vegas user who is serious about ingest, colour correct, compress at highest quality will benefit from a Matrox MX02.

I have an i7 and I still will benefit from an MX02.

From the Matrox site:

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:52 am Post subject:
We are currently investigating workflow compatibility between the Matrox MXO2 Mini and Sony Vegas.
Stay tuned on the Matrox website for an update regarding compatibility.

Kind regards,

JC
Customer Care Representative
Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. - Corporate Headquarters
End-user video editing products group

Sherif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grygier View Post
My two cents.

Just to let you know I to have looked to third party hardware or software solutions to add performance or features to Vegas. Since I went to the i7 core Dell I have been editing AVCHD with no issues at all. I would like to see Sony take advantage of the tremendous computing power of today's video cards to enhance preview and rendering but no longer see the need to buy third party accelerators with the processors we today.

Frank
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...