Outputing from FCP to Vegas for Blu Ray? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Outputing from FCP to Vegas for Blu Ray?

Was speaking to a FCP user and he was hacked off that they still had to jump through hoops to output to Blu Ray. Was saying how easy it was in Vegas/DVD Architect.

What would he need to do (output format) to give me a file that i could convert to Blu Ray?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

DVDa likes a separate audio/video file in order to avoid re-compressing (and believe me you don't want to have to re-compress in dvda.... takes a loooooong time).

In terms of mpg you will need a M2V and a AC3 file and in terms of avc you will need a AVC / AC3 file.

You could always export your work from FCP as uncompressed avi then import to Vegas and have it re compress to one of the above formats without a quality loss.... but this route takes a LOOOOONG time.

You can also have a look at (believe it or not) Ulead's rather cheap Movie Factory 6. It does a reasonable job and will not re-compress with M2T or M2TS (with audio already muxed).
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I haven't done it, but jump back and forth from FCP to Vegas quite a bit.

I would simply ask her to deliver the file as a ProRes HQ 422 and drop it on the Vegas timeline and render to BluRay.

After all, as of Quicktime 7.6, ProRes is cross-platform (at least for reading).

Or she could deliver it to you in Avid's DNXHD, which is truly cross platform, and free as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...