Render stutter/freeze frame problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Render stutter/freeze frame problem

I brought this problem up earlier but now have video to better illustrate the problem. I have created a project that is approximately 25 minutes long (similar problems with shorter vids in the past). 95% of basic transitions run smoothly. 5% stick, stutter. When it comes to the point at the very beginning of the next clip, the current clip freezes/stutters while the timeline and audio continue normally through the next clip (which is not seen but heard). At completion of this clip, the problem goes away and the video and audio are once again married and flow fine until the next problem occurs later in the project. Both cameras are AVCHD (HMC150 and SR-12). Sony Vegas 8.1, Dell XPS 430, Vista 2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz, 8GB ram, 64 bit system 1.5 Trig HD.
I find myself spending a few hours creating a project and days trying to fix it. Part of the problem is that I can render the same project 3 times and 25% of the problems occur in the same place, while the other 75% move. So, I don't believe that it is a simple problem of bad clips, but it is likely that I could be doing something else wrong. Just looking for some suggestions to save my sanity.
Thanks,
Doug

YouTube - Stuck Problem stuttering 0001

The video contains 5 samples of my problem.
Doug Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm guessing a problem with the render codec. Possibly related to 64-bit performance of that codec.

Are you rendering to some h.264/AVC/mp4 codec? There are several versions available in Vegas, including Main Concept, Sony, and Quicktime.

I've not been tracking which MP4 codecs are working for 64-bit renders, but if the above is sounding plausible you should try a different one. And, perhaps one of the first things to try is output to WMV9 - if it doesn't show the same error, that would tend to confirm an output codec problem.

Do you have 8.0c loaded up? You might try the same render with that.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Seth,
Thanks for the response. I have been rendering to WMV "V11" and last night I tried the WMV "9 Advanced Profile", both in 8.1. I like the WMV as opposed to the MP4 because I can put it on a regular DVD and play it in almost any player. That being said, I think the problem may lie in the project prior to rendering for this reason. After I render, I view the rendered WMV and see the problems. So I go back to the already opened .veg project and preview it. I now see most of the problems while previewing........
As we speak, I am attempting a render in 8.0 and as a mp4. I just watched a few minutes of file rendering and I see the same problem during the render. I shut down the render, tried rendering as WMV 9 (8.0) and got an error prior to 10% which closed the program.....

Note- I have noticed that many of the problems occur during clips that are part of other clips throughout the project. ie. I have a 30 second raw clip. I cut it up into 3 parts and use the 3 parts at different places throughout the project. (I edit in the time line).

Any other ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've noticed this after upgrading the camera as well. It happens where there are fairly complex things going on such as an animated title sequence or even a camera pan... and thats just rendering the project to an intermediary .avi file.

Its only happened since going to the DSR570 camera with the 2/3 inch chips. Could it be simply an overloiad of data?

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Longden View Post
Its only happened since going to the DSR570 camera with the 2/3 inch chips. Could it be simply an overloiad of data?
Ben, I don't see how the camera could be an issue.
I've edited footage from cameras ranging from very old VHS camcorders to a DSR-500 and never had any problems with Vegas dealing with it.
BTW, my work cameras are a pair of JVC 550Us (3 x 1/2" CCD). Once again, no problems.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...