DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Widescreen all the way (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/235015-widescreen-all-way.html)

Wajahat Abbasi May 9th, 2009 05:52 PM

Widescreen all the way

Hi guys ..
this might be a silly question to a lot of you ..but there is my confusion...

i shot in 16:9, 30p (using canon XL2)
my project properites templete is DV NTSC Widescreen
and i render as AVI using templete for NTSC DV Widescreen

when i see my project in the preview windows i dont see any black bars , that is the display perview windows dosent letterbox it ....

while rendering i have the option DO NO LETTERBOX checked marked as it was from default .. infact i have not changed any thing in the DV NTSC WINSCREEN templete...

after renderding ....if i drag and drop the rendered video on timeline ... and play it, what i see in the perview window is alway letterboxed.. i dont have any other way to verify if my rendred video will play correctly without letterboxing on a widescreen TV .... am i doing every thing correctly ? is it suppose to play in letter box even when before renderding it was not in letterbox?

Bob Grant May 10th, 2009 03:39 AM

You've done everything correctly and that's exactly how it should look. 16:9 played back on a 16:9 TV should have no black bars.

Ron Evans May 10th, 2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi (Post 1140481)
Hi guys ..
this might be a silly question to a lot of you ..but there is my confusion...

i shot in 16:9, 30p (using canon XL2)
my project properites templete is DV NTSC Widescreen
and i render as AVI using templete for NTSC DV Widescreen

when i see my project in the preview windows i dont see any black bars , that is the display perview windows dosent letterbox it ....

while rendering i have the option DO NO LETTERBOX checked marked as it was from default .. infact i have not changed any thing in the DV NTSC WINSCREEN templete...

after renderding ....if i drag and drop the rendered video on timeline ... and play it, what i see in the perview window is alway letterboxed.. i dont have any other way to verify if my rendred video will play correctly without letterboxing on a widescreen TV .... am i doing every thing correctly ? is it suppose to play in letter box even when before renderding it was not in letterbox?

Make sure that the clip properties are 16x9 as sometimes the rendered file does not always have the 16x9 flag set properly so would appear as a 4x3 clip and would then appear letterboxed. If the clip properties show as 4x3 change them to 16x9 and the letterboxing should disappear.

Ron Evans

Wajahat Abbasi May 10th, 2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1140678)
Make sure that the clip properties are 16x9 as sometimes the rendered file does not always have the 16x9 flag set properly so would appear as a 4x3 clip and would then appear letterboxed. If the clip properties show as 4x3 change them to 16x9 and the letterboxing should disappear.

Ron Evans

Where am i checking these settings?

also ... i think i did evey thing correctly ... but why is it when i drag drop the rendered video on timeline it shows black bars in the display window?

Ron Evans May 10th, 2009 01:37 PM

Right click the clip on the timeline. The dropdown will have properties as the last item. Click properties and then select media. You will see if the video is 4x3 or 16x9. If it is 4x3 ( which is what I suspect) select 16x9 from the dropdown. Clip will now have changed to 16x9 and should look correct on the timeline.

Ron Evans

Wajahat Abbasi May 10th, 2009 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1140856)
Right click the clip on the timeline. The dropdown will have properties as the last item. Click properties and then select media. You will see if the video is 4x3 or 16x9. If it is 4x3 ( which is what I suspect) select 16x9 from the dropdown. Clip will now have changed to 16x9 and should look correct on the timeline.

Ron Evans

this is what i see when i go to media tab ...how would i know if its 16:9 or 4:3 ?

Mike Kujbida May 10th, 2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi (Post 1140860)
this is what i see when i go to media tab ...how would i know if its 16:9 or 4:3 ?

Next to Pixel aspect ratio, it says 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen).
This means it's 16:9.
If it was 4:3, it would've said 0.9091 (NTSC DV).

Wajahat Abbasi May 10th, 2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1140928)
Next to Pixel aspect ratio, it says 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen).
This means it's 16:9.
If it was 4:3, it would've said 0.9091 (NTSC DV).

ok thats great !
that means if tis AVI is played on a 16:9 TV it wont letter box correct?

thanks for all ur help!