Widescreen all the way at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Widescreen all the way

Hi guys ..
this might be a silly question to a lot of you ..but there is my confusion...

i shot in 16:9, 30p (using canon XL2)
my project properites templete is DV NTSC Widescreen
and i render as AVI using templete for NTSC DV Widescreen

when i see my project in the preview windows i dont see any black bars , that is the display perview windows dosent letterbox it ....

while rendering i have the option DO NO LETTERBOX checked marked as it was from default .. infact i have not changed any thing in the DV NTSC WINSCREEN templete...

after renderding ....if i drag and drop the rendered video on timeline ... and play it, what i see in the perview window is alway letterboxed.. i dont have any other way to verify if my rendred video will play correctly without letterboxing on a widescreen TV .... am i doing every thing correctly ? is it suppose to play in letter box even when before renderding it was not in letterbox?
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Trustee

You've done everything correctly and that's exactly how it should look. 16:9 played back on a 16:9 TV should have no black bars.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi View Post
Hi guys ..
this might be a silly question to a lot of you ..but there is my confusion...

i shot in 16:9, 30p (using canon XL2)
my project properites templete is DV NTSC Widescreen
and i render as AVI using templete for NTSC DV Widescreen

when i see my project in the preview windows i dont see any black bars , that is the display perview windows dosent letterbox it ....

while rendering i have the option DO NO LETTERBOX checked marked as it was from default .. infact i have not changed any thing in the DV NTSC WINSCREEN templete...

after renderding ....if i drag and drop the rendered video on timeline ... and play it, what i see in the perview window is alway letterboxed.. i dont have any other way to verify if my rendred video will play correctly without letterboxing on a widescreen TV .... am i doing every thing correctly ? is it suppose to play in letter box even when before renderding it was not in letterbox?
Make sure that the clip properties are 16x9 as sometimes the rendered file does not always have the 16x9 flag set properly so would appear as a 4x3 clip and would then appear letterboxed. If the clip properties show as 4x3 change them to 16x9 and the letterboxing should disappear.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Make sure that the clip properties are 16x9 as sometimes the rendered file does not always have the 16x9 flag set properly so would appear as a 4x3 clip and would then appear letterboxed. If the clip properties show as 4x3 change them to 16x9 and the letterboxing should disappear.

Ron Evans

Where am i checking these settings?

also ... i think i did evey thing correctly ... but why is it when i drag drop the rendered video on timeline it shows black bars in the display window?
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Right click the clip on the timeline. The dropdown will have properties as the last item. Click properties and then select media. You will see if the video is 4x3 or 16x9. If it is 4x3 ( which is what I suspect) select 16x9 from the dropdown. Clip will now have changed to 16x9 and should look correct on the timeline.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Right click the clip on the timeline. The dropdown will have properties as the last item. Click properties and then select media. You will see if the video is 4x3 or 16x9. If it is 4x3 ( which is what I suspect) select 16x9 from the dropdown. Clip will now have changed to 16x9 and should look correct on the timeline.

Ron Evans
this is what i see when i go to media tab ...how would i know if its 16:9 or 4:3 ?
Attached Images

Old May 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi View Post
this is what i see when i go to media tab ...how would i know if its 16:9 or 4:3 ?
Next to Pixel aspect ratio, it says 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen).
This means it's 16:9.
If it was 4:3, it would've said 0.9091 (NTSC DV).
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Next to Pixel aspect ratio, it says 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen).
This means it's 16:9.
If it was 4:3, it would've said 0.9091 (NTSC DV).

ok thats great !
that means if tis AVI is played on a 16:9 TV it wont letter box correct?

thanks for all ur help!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...