Preview with V9 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Well Bob, I found that with 32 bit version it seems that the auto setting in the "Preview" quality mode is terrible, but full is OK. To get quality comparable to 8.0c "preview" settings I have to use Good full in v9 to look as good as Preview auto in 8.0c.
I agree the "quality" is better in the Good setting, but I'm talking about the smoothness of the video preview...

With 9.0 its hanging up and freezing at any fades or effects...
With 8.0c, it runs much smoother, even on a higher quality setting...not perfect, but better.

I'm working with AVCHD, 1080 30p....

Looks like I will continue to use VASST Gear Shift and work with proxy files...
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I see, actually I haven't experienced the same thing you have as far as v9 tripping up, it seems about as smooth for me, and 64 bit is definitely smoother, but that is just me.

Re: the 64 bit version, I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; May 11th, 2009 at 06:48 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #18

Quote:
I see, actually I haven't experienced the same thing you have as far as v9 tripping up, it seems about as smooth for me, and 64 bit is definitely smoother, but that is just me.

Re: the 64 bit version, I'm giving it a thumbs up.
Well, not exactly...
In typical Sony fashion, they fubared the Cineform codec in v9 64-bit. Now, I understand that moving to 64-bit isn't a trivial process, but, to do so without a word to your 3rd party vendors like Cineform is just a poor business practice. Sony just seems to thumb their nose at anyone who isn't at their party.

Everyone else has moved on to DirectX, why does Sony continue with vfw? it's old technology that causes more problems than it's worth.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #19
Major Player

First of all, reducing quality to maintain playback rate is something that Premiere has been doing all along. I haven't read of any Premiere users complaining about that. Vegas has previously taken the opposite tact, reduce frame rate to maintain the selected preview quality. Now we have a choice between the two. Choice is good.

Secondly, David Taylor from Cineform said that they are working on a 64-bit version of the Cineform codec which will work in Vegas v9.

I find it amusing that some people complain about Vegas still using VFW, instead of DirectX, but then they also complain that Vegas has decided to take the full leap to 64-bit, which means leaving 32-bit codecs behind.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #20
Major Player

Yeah, I think SCS is somewhat getting a bad rap for incompatability with their 64-bit software. As far as I know, they're really the first to jump full steam into the 64-bit arena with this type of software and I think they're doing a pretty good job.

The fact that Vegas 8 and Vegas 9 give you BOTH versions for the price of one rather than charge you a seperate or premium for the 64-bit versions is commendable. The reality is that if somebody doesn't like the compatability of the 64-bit version, just close your eyes and pretend they never gave it to you as an option and continue on in your 32-bit world.

In the end, probably by the next version release in 12-18 months, I won't be surprised if Sony's software running on Windows 7 in native 64-bit mode will be the fastest and most stable NLE in the marketplace. :)

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #21

I'm running Avid Media Composer v3.5 on Win7 64-bit with little to no probs. It's stable, all my DI's work, Renders are faster and reliable. Granted, it's not written in 64-bit, but then, I make a living at what works, not what's experimental. Vista 64 bit isn't ready for prime time. By the time Win7 is released, 64-bit will be third gen, and a lot more OEM's are publishing drivers.

I agree with you, Jon. If you don't want to experiment with your livlihood, don't go 64-bit....yet.....at least, not with Vegas. Ironically, Vegas 9 32-bit doesn't work so good....LOL.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Well Bob, I found that with 32 bit version it seems that the auto setting in the "Preview" quality mode is terrible, but full is OK. To get quality comparable to 8.0c "preview" settings I have to use Good full in v9 to look as good as Preview auto in 8.0c.

Like I said earlier, Sony seems to be adjusting the settings, but not much else. They really seem to be taking users to be complete fools.

I imagine the conversation would've gone like this:

"I have an idea...lets change the settings for playback to work better by reducing the quality and those idiots will never know the difference. We'll tweak a few items here and there, spruce up the interface, add Red support, etc. and bam we're done. You know what they say, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh_t."

Well, I admit it! I'm baffled!
Hey Jeff, So I am guessing that the general consensus is save your money on this one?
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I too wonder if there is a need to upgrade just yet. Of course, this upgrade is a no-brainer for EX-1/EX-3 users and Red users, but for HDV it's a close call. The other thing is that the X.0 versions are always a little rough, and Sony gets many things, especially performance issues, ironed out with the X.1 and X.2 updates. So maybe it's worth it to at least wait until the first update at this point? Of course, all bets are off if the Red Scarlet comes out next week...
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Ken, If you're running Vista 64 bit I can tell you there are, for me so far, NO issues with Vegas 9 64 bit. It is a champ, excellent piece of software, and worth the upgrade price.

Don't forget the special upgrade pricing expires in June sometime.

I like the 64 bit version enough that I am going for it even though I can't use MB with it.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Tim, I feel this way: Vegas v9 32 bit has no features that that are worth the upgrade, but that is just me. Performance is the same otherwise.

On the other hand, I have been running Vista 64 bit for a while waiting for a 64 bit version of Vegas that I like. Well, that version is here. I like this version very much.

So Tim, if you are sticking with 32 bit and you have $200 or so to spare, the upgrade will not hurt anything, but if you don't I don't see that you're missing much.

If you are running 64 bit Windows, I recommend the 64 bit Version of Vegas for increased performance, great stability, and the new interface.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #26
Major Player

jog my memory

but I could have sworn the last time I upgrade from 7 to 8, it was only like $150 Australian dollars, this time the upgrade is costing me $249 US, which is $496Aust, and shipping is on top of that.
So the upgrade is certainly not looking too sweet at the moment, especially considering the minimum changes involved, and with all the probs of 8, it was still a major change from 7
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #27
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

But it's not $249US.

Once you put in your Vegas Pro 8 S/N, the price will then drop $50.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #28
Major Player

I disabled Auto preview quality and it did not improve my frame rate.. I'm basically getting 1/3 of the FPS that I was getting with 8.0c...

v9 trial 32-bit , playing back 1080P 30P Cineform content.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff, I am still on Win XP 32bit and have no problems at all with 8.0c. Judging from what I have read here and over at the Sony forum, I don't think I have to be in a hurry, and can probably even wait until 9.0a or even 9.0b comes out. That being said, I do intend to move to Win7 at the end of the year and will probably get a Scarlet or EX-1 around the same time. Might as well plop down the money for 9 now, even though I doubt I would even install it on the current computer. Its the old "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" paradigm.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Kevin, if you're going to upgrade, this is the time, as the special upgrade pricing expires in June.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...