Vegas 9 Demo does not render but crashes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

I have Vegas Pro 8 and Vegas Pro 9-32 installed on the same machine.

I also have Vegas Pro 8.1 and Vegas Pro 9-64 installed on another machine.

I've not seen any conflicts between the two versions.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Vegas 8c crashes while rendering m timeline.. so I downloaded Vegas 9 trial.. this thing is horrible.. scrubbing the timeline results in app crash.. cineform file doesn't playback smoothly...

Rendering the same project results in a low memory error 13% into it.. I have 4GB of RAM and 2GB free.. Sony! What's up wit that?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Yang, if your 8.0c isn't running correctly then there is no reason 9 will be better. Look at your hardware, or reinstall Windows. Vegas 8.0c runs perfectly on my old laptop and runs perfectly for my friend on a Pentium 4 computer, so I suspect you have a hardware issue or software conflict.

I'm not saying your computer is not good. But as I've said before look at your PC or software first. Vegas is normally very stable and smooth running.

If you have done a clean install of windows in the past and installed Vegas FIRST before anything else (except drivers, etc.) then your issue is HW related or there is a conflict somewhere.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Yang, if your 8.0c isn't running correctly then there is no reason 9 will be better. Look at your hardware, or reinstall Windows. Vegas 8.0c runs perfectly on my old laptop and runs perfectly for my friend on a Pentium 4 computer, so I suspect you have a hardware issue or software conflict.

I'm not saying your computer is not good. But as I've said before look at your PC or software first. Vegas is normally very stable and smooth running.

If you have done a clean install of windows in the past and installed Vegas FIRST before anything else (except drivers, etc.) then your issue is HW related or there is a conflict somewhere.
Jeff: that theory is definitely reasonable.. However, past versions of Vegas has typically been rock solid for me... It also doesn't help that the problem with freezing during render is so obscure! The counter keeps going but the progress bar stops...

Also keep in mind that there are a lot of variables from one project to another, from one user to another.. Everything from source file codec, output codec, filters etc.. all play an integral part of whether Vegas crashes.. It is very possible that the media I'm working with and the output codec I'm rendering to is inheriently buggier than other combination...
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, from what you say then you have plenty of issue to examine, that is for sure.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #21
Trustee

Vegas is very stable on a "clean" system. However there are a number of things that can cause instability on a system. One of the worst offenders is installing too much "stuff" on a system. The best practice is to use a dedicated system for editing. Install what you need for editing and nothing else. Use another system to install "stuff" on. Flaky hardware is another potential problem. It can even be something as simple as a dirty CPU heat sink which causes the processor to overheat when rendering. This often leads to the instability whine.

One very bad practice is to install Codec pacs. These can cause all manner of misery and should never be installed. Another nasty is a full installation of Nero. If you feel that you have to use Nero, install only Burning ROM and nothing else. If you have a system that exhibits instability, it is often a good idea to do a clean reinstall of the OS and software and avoid installing an assortment of other "stuff".

Vegas is more resistant to the effects of a "contaminated" system but any software can be made unstable on a system with a bunch of crap installed on it. If you want to "enjoy" an unstable system, install Premiere on it - it will be a trip to hell.

There are a few that enjoy "recreational equivocation" and would rather argue than fix their problem but it sure chews up a lot of bandwidth on forums.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #22
Major Player

Hey guys just as an update.. I think i've identified the culprit..

I was working with Cineform media.. typically I render it to Medium quality.. this time around, I used Low quality.. It seems Cineform's low quality causes rendering issue in Vegas.. go figure! I re-transcoded everything to Medium quality and Vegas is rockin' again.. Haven't retried this again in 9 but I assume it will be okay as well.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Well said Jim. Congratulations Yang.

Nero, I've found can sure cause havoc, as Jim has alluded to. Actually, I believe if you go into msconfig and simply uncheck all startup items related to Nero that Nero problems should go away, but as stated avoid installing anything unnecessary.

Another good thing is to go into msconfig every so often an unchecking pretty much everything as a matter of routine. Often things you have disabled for startup will enable themselves again after the program has been used, Nero does that I believe.

Another thing to do with Vista is to tweak your power settings. For example by default hard drive go to sleep in twenty minutes of inactivity. If you are editing and Vegas needs to access a particular file on a drive that has gone to sleep it can cause a strange delay.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #24
Major Player

Whoop.. looks like I jinxed myself.. Vegas is still crashing although no longer crashing at the same spot each time.. now it's more random along the rendering process..... both 8 and 9 are crashing..... sigh...

edit: Okay.. it looks like the culprit was the Sony AVC codec.. just couldn't get it to render w/o crashing.. Switched over to MainConcept and it worked fine on the 1st try.

Goes to prove my above comment.. There are simply too many variables within Vegas.. it's never the same set of circumstances across multiple individuals.. Yes, Sony is stable while editing.. Very stable for me.. but it has always been buggy when it came to rendering out HD video.

Last edited by Yang Wen; May 12th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Well Yang, I've only rendered HD to wmv files so far...so I can't comment on rendering HD yet. I've rendered plenty of HD to SD 16:9, but that's about it.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #26
Major Player

Yeah working with SD Vegas 6 to 7 to 8 has been rock solid for me.. rendering to MPEG2 for SD DVD has never been an issue for me.. Vegas has been tremendously buggy when it came to rendering out to HD codecs..
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Well, now I am certainly not looking forward to my first Blu Ray project!
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #28
Inner Circle

good Morning,

I recently finished my first huge blu ray project, been at it for weeks and weeks.

Definitely use the mainconcept format!!!!, render it in Vegas and then go to DVDA.

I had the same problems using the other codec.

I also did several test runs from the timeline and that worked fine straight to blu ray.

I have started rendering other codecs HD, just small snipits and when I am finished I will post the findings.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Thanks Dale!
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #30
Major Player

I went thru Vegas 7,8 and now bought upgrade to 9 and real problems started. It crashes my system saying " system is low in memory" (Q9450 and 4GB of RAM). I reached the point that it crashes even when I reder SD projects! System is clean - no unnecessary software there - it is clear that it is ver. 9 that is causing the problem. What is going on!
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...