Vegas 9 Demo does not render but crashes - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #31
Inner Circle

These threads amaze me.

Rule 1. Install a clean OS. There is no telling what garbage on your system is causing issues.

Rule 2. Install adequate RAM. Most of the issues I see with people seeing Vegas freezing up, failing to render HD, etc., have simply run out of RAM. Open Task manager with your HD project on the timeline and note how much RAM is left. Then start the render and watch your RAM decrease. Eventually, it will get critically low, and you'll see Vegas freeze. HD rendering demands a LOT more RAM than SD.

Rule 3. Keep your codecs in order. Vegas 9 does not include Cineform. So if you've been using Cineform in V8 or V7, you'll need to download the Cineform reader to use those older files in Vegas 9. If you want to render Cineform files in V9, then you'll need to buy Cineform software.

Rule 4. Keep garbage off your editing system. Don't put a bunch of web browsers, games, and other crap on your editing machine. If you install Vegas, DVDA, and your necessary codecs onto a clean OS, and you have adequate memory, 99% of these "issues" will disappear.

My primary editing machine has Vegas 9.0a 32 and 64 bit on it. Runs like clockwork on Windows7 RC. It has 8GB of RAM. My laptop has Vegas 8.0c, 8.1, 9.0a 32/64 on it, and it's running XP64. It has 4GB of RAM. No issues whatsoever. Zero.

I've used both machines to render 1-4 hour HD projects. However, I don't use long GOP stuff on the timeline usually, as that will SLAUGHTER most machines because of the RAM requirements. I do render the occasional AVCHD project for friends, but keep the durations under 20 minutes usually.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #32
Trustee

Lots of good points Perrone. Unfortunately some people get more out of arguing than fixing the problems they are having. For example - "Install a clean OS" is for everyone else, not them. Sounds harsh, but their problems are richly deserved.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Editing AVCHD on Movie Studio 9 Platinum

I built an i7 920, 6GB ram 2 x 1TB HDD's, 9600GT rig for a friend. Win7 64bit. He's editing 1920 AVCHD, and as yet, can't export to 1920 - and 1440 seems its limit.

There is a CFF explorer fix originally for v8, that changes flags on the app to let it use more that 2GB of memory. On the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio 9 in my rig, that fix does speed up rendering by around 10%. But I've only got 1440 res HDV to play with.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Lots of good points Perrone. Unfortunately some people get more out of arguing than fixing the problems they are having. For example - "Install a clean OS" is for everyone else, not them. Sounds harsh, but their problems are richly deserved.

Agree. Why wasting all times trying to fix and got no where. Install a clean OS is the best bet. I never ever have any rendering crash problem; avchd. No problem with 32 bit Vista latop and my new desktop Windows 7 64 bit.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...