Vegas 9 Demo does not render but crashes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 9 Demo does not render but crashes

Just installed Vegas 9 Demo version (XP, 32 bit).
Seems to work fine, except it does not render but crashes. My Vegas 8c renders fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Michael
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have never had crashing issues with Vegas, except once or twice with rendering 32 bit.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Yikes was it a clean uninstall of Vegas 8? The only gripes I have with Vegas 8 is the unreliable rendering.. crashing/hanging/outputted files messed up.. I was hoping Vegas 9 would improve on that....
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I am not disagreeing with you Yang, but I have run Vegas on at least 7 or 8 different machines, (probably more) using XP, Vista and Vista 64 bit, and never had issues with stability in anyway, aside from issue when rendering in 32 bit mode on occasion.

Your experience is obviously different than mine, but I should add that I see crashing issues in the Premier Pro forum all of the time, but rarely here.

I would suspect you have some hardware issues. There seems to be agreement among many that Vegas is not perfect, but it tends to usually be very stable.

On occasion I render two projects from the same hard drive at one time and still have no problems. Now I admit that is not the best way to do it, but it shows me how stable it can be. I have really pushed Vegas to it's limits.

I have on hundreds of occasions rendered complex projects while at the same time editing another instance of Vegas while the render happens, and never even a hiccup. It does slow rendering down a bit, but it works just fine otherwise and the quality never suffers.

I did forget to say that with 8.1 (64bit Vegas) I did experience crashing and it was useless to me, but the new version seems fine so far.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Could it be that the Vegas 9 Demo version does not allow for rendering?
For it still keeps crashing every time I try to render. Never had problems with my registered Vegas 8c before.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Major Player

create a new project.. drag some other videos onto the timeline and render it.. by "other" I mean videos of a different codec than the ones causing the crash.... What are you rendering to? That also plays a part into the crash.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Just did as you proposed, still crashing. I don't even get to the render templates but get a Problem report instead saying "Vegas Pro has stopped working". Could it not be due to the TRIAL version?
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I agree with Jeff. I came to vegas for stability as much as anything and it is 98% stable!!

I just did a render of a m2t file in V9 32 bit and it renders fine, Just a nice big red X through the preview monitor!!

I am on the demo at the moment until I get my discs for 9.

the 64 bit on my other computer: I down loaded an archived 46 gigabyte cineform avi file. It only places the audio on the time line, no video!!!! Says the video is off line!!!

any ideas on that?

double checked in 8.0 and it comes down just fine.

will sort that out tomarrow!!
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I believe I have read that Cineform files are not compatible with Vegas 64 bit. Dale, check in at the Cineform showcase.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #10
Tourist

Vegas crashes. Multiple builds. Multiple Machines

Has Vegas 9 addressed the crashing, lock-up issues or they still in denial? As a Final Cut and Vegas User since the Sonic Foundry day, I am keenly aware of the infamous Vegas lock-up/inexplicable shut down and render freeze. I am going to upgrade if I get any hint the software will be more stable.
Craig Kempf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #11
Trustee

Pro 9 is not as stable as pro 8 for me on my pc, it's hanging/freezing a bit, especially when i add effects then try and play the timeline to see what the effect does, the scrubber doesn't even move and then when i try and close the effect window it won't shut, sometimes the effect window goes blank then the whole program freezes.
I was just playing about and was getting frustrated.
When i site down to do an edit with pro 8 i KNOW i'm gonna wizz through without any issues.
I don't think i'll be upgrading just yet.

Paul.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have no issues what so ever with Pro 9.... great program (rendering HDV and avchd)

As for Pro 8, if you're having crashing on render issues with avchd and HDV then try this work around:

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Rendering two instanced of Vegas at once no problem with third instance running

I'm running three different versions of Vegas at the same time, two of them rendering projects simulatneously while I'm editing on a third instance.

I'm rendering with Vegas 9 64 bit and Vegas 8 32 bit at same time. One project is HD, and render time has increased by about 30%. I just started a third instance of Vegas, Vegas 9 32 bit, running perfectly even with the two other versions running.

Even though it is supposed to work along side Vegas 8, I think you should do a clean install if you're having issues using Vegas 9. I've got three versions running fine, no problems. The demo doesn't have a red x or anything when I render.

I haven't heard of or experienced the "infamous" lock ups of Vegas.

Craig, if these are issues you have experienced on multiple machines I would suspect you buy workstations or stop building or your own.

There are people having issues right now installing Vegas 9 on machines that have older versions of Vegas on them and God know what else.

One of the reasons PCs are able to be kicked around by Mac is because PCs host hundreds of types of software that Macs cannot use. With a clean installation and good hardware Vegas is without question the single most stable piece of software I have ever used. It is ten times more reliable than any Adobe product I've ever owned.

I have to admit though Craig I had did have problems with 8.1, while others did not, but I attibuted that to it being a first release of Vegas on the 64 bit platform, so I was never really mad about it, just a bit disappointed.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; May 12th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post

There are people having issues right now installing Vegas 9 on machines that have older versions of Vegas on them and God know what else..
So you're saying that i could be having issues just because i have pro 8 still installed on my pc ? I'm not using 8 at the same time as 9.

Paul.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Paul, as you and I both know it is SO hard to say. For example, Dale recently had issues of some sort until he uninstalled MS Front Page. Who would have thought Front Page would cause problems for a video workstation? Probably no one. (BTW, I don't think the problems were with Vegas, but the point is with PCs and the huge variety of software installed on so many different configurations, the potential problems are huge.)

Many programs require a complete uninstall of all previous versions before installation of a new version will work. Vegas does not, but in the past I have alway installed on clean hard drives. Lately, with my new PC it seems anything will run on it, so I didn't bother this time.

So Paul, if you're having problems, which are a normal part of the PC landscape, then you might consider possibly reinstalling everything from the ground up.

While it would certainly be inconvenient, I don't think it would be unreasonable to look at that as a solution. If you're windows installation is more than a few months old and you do a ton of stuff on it, and if you have lots of software on it, you're probably due anyway.

I routinely reformat my HD install windows at the least every 60 days or so. Most people don't, but I find little issue start popping up here and there and I just start fresh and it eliminates most all issues for me, and gets rid of all spyware. I don't run anti-virus, etc so I feel it is the best thing for me to do.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...