DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Transferring files between computers Best way suggestions? and How.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/235232-transferring-files-between-computers-best-way-suggestions-how.html)

David Ruhland May 12th, 2009 05:08 PM

Transferring files between computers Best way suggestions? and How..

I need to take my sony project files and all related audio, still pics etc with me on a business trip. IT is still a project at this point.

In the past I have tried doing this and have never made it work. It always tells me files are missing, etc...

Suggestions please.

Edward Troxel May 12th, 2009 05:31 PM

File - Save As - point it to a NEW EMPTY folder and check the box to "copy and trim media". Then take that new folder with you.

Mike Kujbida May 12th, 2009 05:32 PM

I've done this numerous times when bringing files from work home with me.
File - Save As - click the "Copy media with project" button.
Make sure to save this to a new folder.
If this is going to an external drive, copy it directly to a folder on that drive.
You'll have an option to "copy source media" or "create trimmed copies of source media". The choice is yours.
All the media that's currently in the project will be copied to the new folder.
If there is any extra media that you think you'll need, add it to this folder as well.
When you start up Vegas to work on it, it'll probably tell you that it can't find the file specified.
Point it to this new folder, find the file and click OK.
It should then say something like "I also found file *** in this folder. Do you want me to use it?".
Say Yes to all and your entire project should load completely.
Save it under a new name and start editing.

edit: I see that Edward beat me by a minute - again :-)

Nicholas de Kock May 12th, 2009 05:34 PM

Awesome didn't know this :)

Edward Troxel May 12th, 2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1142105)
edit: I see that Edward beat me by a minute - again :-)

Yeah, but I typed less! :-)

David Ruhland May 12th, 2009 06:06 PM

thanks guys.... now if i can master how to make multi cam function work i will be doing really good... I have 3 cameras all different file names.... how and the heck is this supposed to work doesnt it lay all the tracks out in a line together?

Jeff Harper May 12th, 2009 06:22 PM

I use Ultimate S multicamera function, its much simpler (IMO) very nice. Excalibur might be great too, but I've not used it.

Don Bloom May 12th, 2009 07:17 PM

Excalibur works GGGGGGRRRREAT! Isn't that what Tony the tiger says?

Mike Kujbida May 12th, 2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ruhland (Post 1142116)
thanks guys.... now if i can master how to make multi cam function work i will be doing really good... I have 3 cameras all different file names.... how and the heck is this supposed to work doesnt it lay all the tracks out in a line together?

Earlier this year (before I bought Excalibur), I did a 5-camera edit using the multi-cam feature built into Vegas.
I had never done it before so I just followed the instructions in the online help menu and it turned out just fine.
I'd suggest checking out YouTube as well as there are a number of multicam tutorials on it.

Jason Robinson May 13th, 2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1142170)
Earlier this year (before I bought Excalibur), I did a 5-camera edit using the multi-cam feature built into Vegas.
I had never done it before so I just followed the instructions in the online help menu and it turned out just fine.
I'd suggest checking out YouTube as well as there are a number of multicam tutorials on it.

I don't know if Ulstimae S does more than 4 cams (I don't think so). The built in Vegas multi camming is actually pretty functional. The help files with Vegas have all the information you need. I just got in the habbit of using Ultimate S so I don't bother with the built in function any more.

Jason Robinson May 13th, 2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ruhland (Post 1142093)
I need to take my sony project files and all related audio, still pics etc with me on a business trip. IT is still a project at this point.

In the past I have tried doing this and have never made it work. It always tells me files are missing, etc...

Suggestions please.

I mirror all media from my working drive to external USB drives. If you have gigEthernet then you can copy the files between computers. If you keep the drive letter & directory structure identical, then the .veg file won't know the difference if it is on the initial computer or on a new computer.