Transferring files between computers Best way suggestions? and How.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Transferring files between computers Best way suggestions? and How..

I need to take my sony project files and all related audio, still pics etc with me on a business trip. IT is still a project at this point.

In the past I have tried doing this and have never made it work. It always tells me files are missing, etc...

Suggestions please.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

File - Save As - point it to a NEW EMPTY folder and check the box to "copy and trim media". Then take that new folder with you.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've done this numerous times when bringing files from work home with me.
File - Save As - click the "Copy media with project" button.
Make sure to save this to a new folder.
If this is going to an external drive, copy it directly to a folder on that drive.
You'll have an option to "copy source media" or "create trimmed copies of source media". The choice is yours.
All the media that's currently in the project will be copied to the new folder.
If there is any extra media that you think you'll need, add it to this folder as well.
When you start up Vegas to work on it, it'll probably tell you that it can't find the file specified.
Point it to this new folder, find the file and click OK.
It should then say something like "I also found file *** in this folder. Do you want me to use it?".
Say Yes to all and your entire project should load completely.
Save it under a new name and start editing.

edit: I see that Edward beat me by a minute - again :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Awesome didn't know this :)

Last edited by Nicholas de Kock; May 12th, 2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: New Inforamtion.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
edit: I see that Edward beat me by a minute - again :-)
Yeah, but I typed less! :-)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Major Player

thanks guys.... now if i can master how to make multi cam function work i will be doing really good... I have 3 cameras all different file names.... how and the heck is this supposed to work doesnt it lay all the tracks out in a line together?
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I use Ultimate S multicamera function, its much simpler (IMO) very nice. Excalibur might be great too, but I've not used it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Excalibur works GGGGGGRRRREAT! Isn't that what Tony the tiger says?
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
thanks guys.... now if i can master how to make multi cam function work i will be doing really good... I have 3 cameras all different file names.... how and the heck is this supposed to work doesnt it lay all the tracks out in a line together?
Earlier this year (before I bought Excalibur), I did a 5-camera edit using the multi-cam feature built into Vegas.
I had never done it before so I just followed the instructions in the online help menu and it turned out just fine.
I'd suggest checking out YouTube as well as there are a number of multicam tutorials on it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Earlier this year (before I bought Excalibur), I did a 5-camera edit using the multi-cam feature built into Vegas.
I had never done it before so I just followed the instructions in the online help menu and it turned out just fine.
I'd suggest checking out YouTube as well as there are a number of multicam tutorials on it.
I don't know if Ulstimae S does more than 4 cams (I don't think so). The built in Vegas multi camming is actually pretty functional. The help files with Vegas have all the information you need. I just got in the habbit of using Ultimate S so I don't bother with the built in function any more.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
I need to take my sony project files and all related audio, still pics etc with me on a business trip. IT is still a project at this point.

In the past I have tried doing this and have never made it work. It always tells me files are missing, etc...

Suggestions please.
I mirror all media from my working drive to external USB drives. If you have gigEthernet then you can copy the files between computers. If you keep the drive letter & directory structure identical, then the .veg file won't know the difference if it is on the initial computer or on a new computer.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...