BR on DVD? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #31

here's a link to Tom's original post, with the detailed workflow.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/blu-ray-a...s-you-can.html
Unfortunately, I've never been able to get this to work.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #32
Trustee

Thank you Bill.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chau View Post
The BR discs I've made on DVD with a DVD burner through Vegas and DVD architect play great on my Samsung 1500 blueray player. I haven't tried other players.

You have the right idea. Nothing better than trying it out yourself on your own equipment. I suspect newer BR players will work fine, especially your new Samsung because my older Samsung works fine.
Ron, did you follow the procedure detailed in Tom Roper's post linked above? If not, what did you do?

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Reid View Post
Ron, did you follow the procedure detailed in Tom Roper's post linked above? If not, what did you do?

Steve
The Samsung 1500 can work if the AUXDATA folder is deleted. After the project is authored with DVD Architect, your project has to be burned to DVD at a time when it's still not ready for playback, unless you first burn to an .iso image file, and unpack it into its native folders. Or you can otherwise burn it to DVD-RW and copy the folders from there. But either way, once you have the folders, you have to run AVCHD-Patcher, ( a separate, small, free downloadable utility). AVCHD-Patcher will convert the DVD Architect Blu-ray structure to be recognized as AVCHD by the Samsung player, which is necessary to get it to play. For the Samsung 1500, you also have to delete the AUXDATA folder. Those are the required hacks for that player. The bitrate also needs to be lowered to 17-18 mbps. To avoid loss of quality, it's best to feed DVD Architect your native video stream, and allow DVD Architect to render that using its basic (but excellent) rendering engine for AVC h.264. The AVC h.264 rendering engine in DVD Architect is slow and basic but significantly better and more compatible for Blu-ray than the engine inside Vegas.

Actually, if you used DVD Architect to author a Blu-ray disk to a DVD-RW, then you can run AVCHD-Patcher on the rewritable disk itself, and also delete the AUXDATA folder, and run that same disk straight into the Samsung player. The disk has to be burned as UDF2.5-2.6, so you need Nero or ImgBurn to do that.

I never said any of this was easy, but neither is it hard. You have to make up your mind if it's worth it to learn the tricks/hacks.

Below is a link to a doom9 topic which states which players have been tested, and the specific steps needed to make a compatible disk that plays for those players.

BD standalone results/tests on DVDR of AVCHD, BD, FULLBD, CROPPED, HDAUDIO - Doom9's Forum
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I never said any of this was easy, but neither is it hard. You have to make up your mind if it's worth it to learn the tricks/hacks.
Well, thanks for the much-detailed post and link, Tom. After reading both, I have the sensation that I'm getting caught in a rip tide.

So, prices of BR burners and media might not be looking so bad after all. I guess that more or less defines the price of the "tricks/hacks" that are required to get by only with standard DVD burners and media, and even then on select BR players.

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #36
Major Player

Hacks ? It was pretty straight forward for me. Maybe it's the version of Vegas and DVD arch. I'm running. Vegas 8c and DVD arch 5. I think these versions are less than a yr old.

In Vegas, burned blueray directly to dvd. Clicked Tools pulldown menu, burn blueray.

In Vegas, rendered to AVC using Sony AVC blueray template.

In DVD architect, set project properties to blueray, imported the vegas rendered file, added a menu and clicked make disc.

This evening, I'll post a step by step.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #37

I've never been able to access the .iso file created by DVDA with any clone drive. However, today, I tried a copy of ISOBUSTER and it worked as you described. Having modified the files, I am now burning and will report progress.
EDIT: IT WORKED. So to summarize for a P1500:
1-create .iso with Vegas or DVDA
2-open .iso with ISOBUSTER, drag BDMV folder and CERTIFICATE folder out to a directory
3-go into BDMV folder and delete AUXDATA folder
4-Use AVCHD Patcher to patch "index.bdmv"
5-use XVI32 to change the bit in "index.bdmv" and "movieobject.bdmv"
6-copy the two files modified in "5" into BACKUP directory
7-Burn to a standard DVD with IMGBURN, UDF2.5 format
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
What would be really helpful, I think is if those who have had success burning BR from Vegas or DVDA 5 to a compliant standard DVD would post a detailed step by step procedure with settings in this thread.

John
Vegas pro version 8c, DVD architect version 5a

Burn from Vegas, no menus, step by step in Vegas:

- Project properties set to match raw video files, 1920x1080.
- Edit video
- Tools pulldown menu
- Burn Disc
- Blu-ray Disc
- Render Image and Burn
- Video Template, 1920x1080 60i 16Mbps video stream
- Ok

Vegas renders and burns to dvd.

Works great, doesn't get much easier than this. I'm not doing anything special. This should work for everyone.
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
What would be really helpful, I think is if those who have had success burning BR from Vegas or DVDA 5 to a compliant standard DVD would post a detailed step by step procedure with settings in this thread.

John
Vegas pro version 8c, DVD architect version 5a

Render in Vegas, author and burn in DVDA with menus, step by step:

In Vegas:

- Project properties set to match raw video files, 1920x1080.
- Edit video
- File pulldown menu
- Render As
- Save as filetype: Sony AVC
- Video Template, 1920x1080 60i 16Mbps video stream
- Save

Vegas renders video file

- Render As
- Save as filetype: Sony Wave64
- Template, default
- Save

Vegas renders audio file

In DVDA

- Project properties, disc format, blu-ray disc, video format avc, resolution 1920x1080
- Ok
- Add background image, add rendered vegas video and audio files, create menu button links to vegas files
- Make Blu-ray Disc
- Burn
- Current project
- Next
- Finish

DVDA authors and burns dvd. A little more complicated than burning from Vegas, but you get menus this way. This should also work for everyone.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #40
Major Player

Great responses.

Thanks to all.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I've never been able to access the .iso file created by DVDA with any clone drive. However, today, I tried a copy of ISOBUSTER and it worked as you described. Having modified the files, I am now burning and will report progress.
EDIT: IT WORKED. So to summarize for a P1500:
1-create .iso with Vegas or DVDA
2-open .iso with ISOBUSTER, drag BDMV folder and CERTIFICATE folder out to a directory
3-go into BDMV folder and delete AUXDATA folder
4-Use AVCHD Patcher to patch "index.bdmv"
5-use XVI32 to change the bit in "index.bdmv" and "movieobject.bdmv"
6-copy the two files modified in "5" into BACKUP directory
7-Burn to a standard DVD with IMGBURN, UDF2.5 format
Very well done. The extra steps you performed, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 make your compilation compatible with literally millions more players including the PS3, Panasonic and Samsung players.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #42
Major Player

Tom, are my experiences unique ? What I made in Vegas and DVDA seem much quicker and easier than the steps you've listed. But I've only tested in my Samsung 1500 BR player.

I tried to list the steps I did as detailed as possible. They seem pretty straight forward to me and not that hard for someone to try out.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chau View Post
But I've only tested in my Samsung 1500 BR player.
You've spotted the problem!

Seriously, it won't play in a PS3 without AVCHD Patcher. And it won't play in a Panasonic BD35 without hex editing the index.bdmv and movieobj.bdmv files as Bill did. And it won't play in all the Samsungs either without deleting the AUXDATA folder.

It probably will play in some if not most of the Sony standalone Blu-ray players depending on firmware.

So it really just depends on how robust you want your playback compatibility with the larger population of players.

Go to the doom9 link posted previously to see what works with what players. Your experiences are not unique. Lots of people at first believe they have it, only to find limited playback compatibility.

There's no problem with your Vegas/DVDA workflows.

Edit:

It actually *will* play in a PS3 without the hacks, but as a data disk, forcing the user to navigate to the folder containing the stream like you were playing from a computer. The hacks allow the disk to autoplay when inserted into the PS3, just like any other Blu-ray disk and with menu functionality from DVDA.

Another advantage is that it can read and output true 24p, and output 1080/24p, whereas the PS3 wraps it inside 60i if interpreted as a data disk.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #44

Ron...

The reason I asked about the version of firmware you are using is that my P1500 used to play BD content DVD's created within Vegas when I first purchased it. With the release of firmware version 2.1, my P1500 quit playing these DVD's. ;o(

I contacted Samsung about the problem, and even sent my player in to them for repair. It was returned without any changes. Samsung disabled the ability of the P1500 to play BD content DVD's with the later firmware versions. This latest procedure now is a workaround to the crippled updates to firmware provided by samsung. If your player is playing all content without problems, DON'T upgrade the firmware.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #45
Major Player

That's pretty messed up Bill. An upgrade that makes something NOT work.

How did your test go ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...