DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   BR on DVD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/235322-br-dvd.html)

Jonathan Gentry May 13th, 2009 10:17 PM

BR on DVD?

Can you use Vegas 8.1 and DVDArch to make a DVD that will play at Blu-Ray quality in a Blu-Ray player?

Edward Troxel May 14th, 2009 06:47 AM

Yes you can. You need to use DVD Architect 5 which added BluRay support.

If you don't want a menu, you can actually burn a BluRay disc straight from the Vegas timeline as well.

Terry Esslinger May 14th, 2009 12:40 PM

I wonder if he is talking about on a DVD disc or on a BluRay disc?

Edward Troxel May 15th, 2009 06:26 AM

Actually... doesn't matter. DVD Architect 5 can burn on either. You just can't put anywhere near as much on a standard DVD.

Jonathan Gentry May 15th, 2009 11:41 PM

Yes I have a short clip i want to put on DVD but play in a BR player at full resolution. The clip is about 3 minutes long so I'm guessing it will fit on a standard DVD-R.

Thanks, I'll try to figure out how this works in the software.

-Jonathan

Steven Reid May 16th, 2009 07:53 AM

BR render + BR author + DVD disc + DVD burner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1143408)
Actually... doesn't matter. DVD Architect 5 can burn on either. You just can't put anywhere near as much on a standard DVD.

Since my projects usually aren't longer than about 15 minutes, I am very interested in doing the same, and I want them complete with menus. Mind helping out this dunce a little, please?

To be clear, I see 4 elements here:
(1) render BR project from Vegas,
(2) author BR project in DVDA5 with menus, etc.,
(3) burn authored BR project to DVD (i.e., not BR) with
(4) DVD burner (i.e., not BR burner).
Big question: are 1-4 correct? If so, then this will save me lots of money because I won't have to buy a BR burner and BR media.

On the other hand, I've read scattered posts about DVDs prepared in this way that suffer/cause spotty performance on playback, mostly depending on the set top BR player used. A PS3 seems the best, but I don't have one (instead, I'm using a Samsung BD-P3600). Answer = try it and see?

Thanks,
Steve

Bill Ravens May 16th, 2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Reid (Post 1143890)

To be clear, I see 4 elements here:
(1) render BR project from Vegas,
(2) author BR project in DVDA5 with menus, etc.,
(3) burn authored BR project to DVD (i.e., not BR) with
(4) DVD burner (i.e., not BR burner).
Big question: are 1-4 correct? If so, then this will save me lots of money because I won't have to buy a BR burner and BR media.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm afraid not.....in my experience you can burn a BD to DVD disk, but, you have to burn it on a BD burner. Red and blue are different wavelengths of light. Hence, the data is, literally, burned on the disk at a different packet spacing. A BD player expects to see the packet spacing produced by the blue laser.

Ron Chau May 16th, 2009 08:44 AM

In Vegas, I've burned a BR video onto a standard dvd using a dvd burner. Plays great in my Samsung set top blueray player. No menus though. Will try to do the above with a simple menu in DVD architect this weekend.

Bill Ravens May 16th, 2009 08:59 AM

wow, that's pretty astonishing to me. Esp. since most burning software won't even allow you to burn bluray content to a DVD format without a bluray burner.

Steven Reid May 16th, 2009 12:40 PM

So, no it doesn't work, but yes it does, and no it can't. ;) It's like watching a tennis match. With sincere respect for the more learned and experienced folks posting here, why is there such a divergence of opinion?

It appears that the safest minimum to accomplish what I want is a cash outlay for a BR burner. Since I've already built my 'ultimate' rig, I wanted to see if I really needed to get another component, i.e., the BR burner, to get my short projects into BR format for use on a set top BR player. If I'm right, it looks like I won't necessarily need to purchase BR discs for this purpose -- standard DVDs will work. Just need the BR burner, right?

I searched through the Sony forums to look for useful posts on point but, surprisingly, I found none. Any other opinions or real-world attempts at this?

Thanks,
Steve

Edward Troxel May 16th, 2009 12:53 PM

My understanding is that you can burn bluray content on a standard DVD using a standard DVD burner and it will play in a bluray player. You just can't burn as much content because the size of a standard DVD is smaller than that of a bluray disc.

Steven Reid May 16th, 2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1144011)
My understanding is that you can burn bluray content on a standard DVD using a standard DVD burner and it will play in a bluray player. You just can't burn as much content because the size of a standard DVD is smaller than that of a bluray disc.

OK, thanks. I think I'll stick with my current hardware and media for now and see if it works. I've nothing to lose. I'm just getting set up with a BR player and hi-def TV for presentation, and once I've got everything set up, I'll post back with results on burning BR content.

Bill Ravens May 16th, 2009 01:58 PM

I just burnt a DVD with BD content with Vegas 8 on a standard red DVD burner. After a successful burn(according to Vegas) the disk will not open in my computer, nor will it play on my Samsung BD-P1500. In fact, my computer shows nothing on the disk. Just made another coaster.

Sherif Choudhry May 16th, 2009 03:49 PM

I render in Vegas to a file and play back on the PS3 hard drive to my plasma - 1080 50i looks fantastic.

Ron Chau May 16th, 2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1144011)

Exactly. Not an opinon. It works. I've done it many times. Don't know why Bill is having problems. I'm running Vegas 8c. I believe the command is in the tools or options dropdown menu, burn blueray disc.