Vegas 9 64 bit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 16th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas 9 64 bit

For those interested in Vegas 64 bit, I have installed Version 9 on a clean installation of Vista Ultimate with nothing but drivers installed, and I have found the performance of it buggy on the timeline. When moving around the timeline by clicking there is an interminable delay. It is similar to the behaviour you would expect when the media is located on a very slow or clogged drive.

I felt confident that doing the reinstall on a clean hard drive would take care of the preview issue, but it is the same as before.

As with the previous version 8.1, this new 64 bit version is not working out for me too well.

My system configuration is a Asus P6T version 2 with latest drivers, 12GB of memory, Raptor OS drive, (media is located on a RAID 0 drive that is only 10% full) and the i7 920 processor.

My graphics card (EVGA GTS250 with 1GB of DDR3 RAM) is not a champ, but these problems do not seem to be related to my graphics card.

I have just installed the 32 bit version of Vegas on the same PC and it is running the same as my old 8.0C.

In addition to the above, I am having issues with Ultimate S as well. While I feel confident Ultimate S is not to blame, it has been days with no solution from VASST support. The primary recommendation was to unistall and reinstall, which I've done. I have NEVER had issues with Ultimate S before, always has run perfectly till now, one of my favorite programs.

My little upgrade venture has cost nearly $300 between the two programs, and I'm right back where I was before I spend the money, using Vegas 32 bit, which I wasn't interested in to begin with.

I ranted about this upgrade before it was released, but went for it anyway for the 64 bit version, and it has, so far, seemed to be a costly mistake on my part. I rushed into Ultimate S 4.1 specifically for it ability to work with 64 bit, and I'm paying for my impulisiveness.

To all those whom I challenged to reinstall on a clean hard drive before complaining, I hereby admit it hasn't help me, and I wouldn't recommend wasting your time unless you have the time to spare.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; May 16th, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Major Player

I have to agree with Jeff.

Aside from the nice new color scheme and a couple of minor changes, this upgrade has let me down.
I was hoping the new version, especially the 64bit version, would handle the AVCHD codec a little better than 8.0c, but it actually seems worse.

AMD64 9850 quad core, 8GB ram, Windows 7 RC, new clean install.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #3

You're a man of integrity, Jeff. Let's hope SCS implements fixes quickly, altho, I'm not holding my breath.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, I hate admitting that I was wrong, but I was.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jeff,

I was running render tests on 64 bit 9 and I do not see any advantage yet!!

The most upsetting issue to me is that all my archived cineform files can't seem to be used.

the audio comes up to the time line but no video!!!!!!

However, I can render a m2t file to cineform AVI and down load it to the time line.

This downright pisses me off!!

I may as well render in 8.1 and build in 8.0c,

Oh yea, using keyframes: I thought it was going t5o be different so you do not have to place four keyframes every time. does that have to be enabled somehow??

not happy
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dale, that is the boat I think many are in. I see 64 bit as a bit of a waste at this point. I may follow your lead and just use 64 bit for rendering.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Well, I ordered Vegas 9 Pro and it arrived on Friday (I always order the 'boxed' version) and I'm pretty sure it's going to just sit here in the box for the next 3-6 months while Sony works out the bugs and releases a few versions of patches.. I'm running 8.0/8.1 now and am content enough...

I did the same thing when 8 came out, left it in the box until I think version 8.0b before I even installed it. It seems the best way to go... I'm sure Sony will fix these issues in the next few months, but I think it's pretty safe to say at this point, my low expectations for this version are being backed up by other users here.

So, to all of you who posted prior to May 11th how us 'naysayers' need to wait until it's released before we comment, what do you have to say now?

I'm a bit concerned because if Sony can't get their act together and take a strong step forward in their next version release, there's a good chance - in time - Vegas will simply fade away...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Why do we never see anybody from SCS post in here? Are they even paying attention to us?
I've seen people from SCS post here. And, yes they are.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

While admittedly it may be time for SCS to move on to something other than VFW for preview, there isn't much out there that will play native avchd files smoothly... especially from canon/Panasonic cameras.

If you can get full frame rate on the straight runs then that's all you really need. For viewing transitions and such at full frame rate then all you need to do is use SHIFT-B
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Major Player

They are a producer of their software and I would imagine they would want to do everything they could to sell as much of their software as possible. Reaching their customers should be their number one goal. Some of their best customers are in here, so why not create an account and chime in here.

A perfect example would be Cineform. Those guys post here *all the time*. Edward maybe has seen somebody post here, yet I've been lurking this forum for several years and haven't come across anybody yet. I'm not saying they don't, just that I haven't seen it. I think SCS should have more of a preference here personally.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I doubt that they identify themselves as Sony people. I'm guessing Edward knows who they are, but that few else do.

Sony likley has a strict corporate policy that prohibits them from speaking/writing as Sony employees publicly without authorization.
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Always have been a fan of sony products and their support.

Has any one actually contacted sony about these issues? I have not and think that we all should.

Today i tried to bring in a prior project from 8.0c I can not even bring in the project, it is like it can not even find the visual media.

So I went back rendered a small part of it and none of my renders today will even be accepted, even the mainconcept!!

I should have my box in the next day or so, I may leave it on the shelf as suggested!!

If I can't bring my projects in from 8, I can't even use it as a render engine!!

I am going to use it and capture some native footage when I am done here, wonder if it will even work?

UPDATE: My Vegas 9 will not even recognise the camera!! I brought up 8 and it sees the camera perfectly.

Maybe i should delete 9 altogether and reinstall it?????
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I'm skipping Vegas 9 64 bit and just using 32 bit, I'm finding 64 bit a bit buggy. I don't know if a reinstall will help Dale. Didn't help me.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #14

Dale...

Over the years since Sony bought Vegas, I've contacted support several times, mostly to report a bug. IN all cases, my question/problem was either totally ignored or the reply I received indicated that they felt the problem was not theirs. In other words, their customer support was unwilling to admit anything. The biggest problem I had with Vegas was the inability to accept .m2t data from my JVC HD110. Eventually, as you may know, the problem was resolved by SCS, however, for a period of 2 years(3 full version revisions), they would not accept any responsibility for Vegas' chronic red/dropped frames, despite the fact that many users were reporting red frames. For a piece of mission essential software, I consider this inexcusable.

There is a great pressure in today's marketplace to release new versions of software. Many companies have troubles with their first releases of new versions because of this pressure. SCS seems especially vulnerable to mistakes when they function under this pressure. Not necessarily unacceptable, however, their revision process can take years to correct a known problem. With this release, among other problems, they've now crippled another piece of essential software in my workflow, Cineform's DI(which, ironically, was a fix for the m2t problem). Intentional or just incompetence becasue of first to market pressures, I don't know. I just can't put my money behind a company that cares so little about its customers or its reputation. If they think they can rest on the rep of SONY CORP., they're wrong. There's a certain arrogance in a huge company, as GM and Chrysler executives have learned.

Edit: If you think I am unreasonably prejudiced, I am not alone...read this:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...4885&Replies=5

These experiences, coupled with other chronically ignored, but critical, problems finally resulted in my abandoning Vegas. This is the first release since v3 that I will not be purchasing.

Last edited by Bill Ravens; May 19th, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #15
Regular Crew

It's hard.

A couple of us quit/left a few months ago because of a corporate policy change, and it no doubt put some strain on the completion of the release. I'm sure that the guys in Madison are watching the forums, bug reports, and CS traffic a little bit, but they're short-handed.

As far as addressing your issues in fora online, Sony corporate policy requires that employees identify themselves as such while also avoiding the suggestion that they are speaking for the company. That's next-to-impossible to do, so most people don't post online. Not posting on the SCS forum is a result of an ugly post feud and the heavy-handed response from the Madison-local execs. I have to admit that I stopped reading the forum once I couldn't post there. I spent more time here.

No doubt some things will be fixed in the usual .0a release. Others will be left for dead. Those are the breaks. Complain once about each thing, clearly, concisely, and get people behind it (and you). If you turn into a laundry-list ranter, people tune out.
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...