Workflow Advice? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thank you - that is exactly the kind of help I was seeking!
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I've done a fair amount of editing as Jason describes 2 posts above. Small differences - all tape captures for one project go in one folder, which is named "raw" in my project directory. Other subdirectories would typically be "audio", "graphics", "intermediates", "final renders", and "burn".

For event-oriented projects I capture complete tapes (without scene detection or logging), and, like Jason, I also edit on the timeline. Quick use of the f11 key is your friend when you have lots of tracks! (try it.)

Cutting material that was shot film-style has encouraged me to try other workflows. In this type of production, the action is typically run several times for different camera positions/shots. This is where a workflow that uses scene detection and an off-timeline preview really comes into its own. I've found that learning all the ins and outs of the trimmer is essential to cutting a piece that features interaction between people.

I'd usually cut an interview piece in two stages. The interview audio and video gets cut on the timeline in the first pass. Insert shots/cutaways/b-roll gets cut in from the trimmer on a second pass.

A "storyboard view" workflow relies on thumbnail views of clips in a bin. The "bin" can be a directory in Vegas explorer, a sorted view in Media Manager, or, a windows directory. This is what iMovie and Windows Movie Maker do well, so, many beginners have started here. Vegas can support it, too.

Each of these types of productions has a different type of decision making in the edit. One of the great things about Vegas is that it fully supports multiple workflows with a rich set of tools. This sometimes makes it hard for a beginner, who is both learning Vegas and learning to edit at the same time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...