quicktimes stutter on other PCs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 24th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

quicktimes stutter on other PCs

First of all, I'm pretty sure this is not a problem specific to vegas rather than to quicktime. I am using vegas 8 - rendering out to quicktime mp4. My renders look great, and playback fine on my pc in wmp, quicktime player, and mediaplayer classic. BUT... when I play these files on other pcs the video stutters (audio is fine). It's as if the frame rate is wrong?? believe me... I'm very meticulous and have ticked all the right boxes. I also rendered these files to the animation codec and re-rendered the animation codec in sorenson squeeze 5, but once again the files are fine on my pc, but not on others. I have tried uploading to youtube and I get the same stutter issue. I have provided a link below. One suspicion I have is that I am running 32bit vista business, and the other computers I've tried playing the files on are 32bit xp home machines.... but surely that wouldn't make a difference? Another thing I thought of was that maybe my bitrate was too high... I have done a couple of tests using a basic bit rate of 2531 kBps and an unconstrained bit rate, but don't see a difference.

YouTube - Baxi Final mp4

CHeers,
Glen
Glen Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

sorenson codec fine

I've just rendered a quicktime out with the sorenson 3 codec and it plays fine in the one other XP pc that I've tried it on. Surely it has something to do with the mp4 (h.264?) codec.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

spoke to soon

Actually, I uploaded the sorenson to youtube and it's jerky as anything. I'm thinking its the bandwidth. I've been uploading with a bandwith of around 2000 kbps, but I'm trying to upload one with 800 kbps. We will see how that goes...
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

is anybody out there?

Nope, still jerky. One of the mysteries of the universe, obviously. While I'm here, I might as well ask if anyone sees a future for AVIs. I've been working with AVID and final cut lately, also with 3D animators, web developers etc, and absolutely nobody uses AVIs. It's all quicktime - animation for lossless renders, h.264 for the internet. That said - I don't seem to be having much luck getting these quicktimes to playback decently on youtube. Youtube doesn't do AVI well, so I guess I'm baffled.
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Glen, I looked at the clip you linked to in your first post and didn't find it jerky as anything at all.
On the contrary, it played back fairly smooth for me.
There were some obvious "shaky cam" spots but I'm sure that was expected.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hmmm....

Thanks Mike,
That's really strange, because I've tried it on a few computers and it always plays back jerky. I wonder if the processors in the computers aren't up to playing the clips? All of the computers I've watched them on are P4s with 1GB of RAM or less. Incidentally, my computer is a 2.66 ghz duocore with 4GB RAM and it plays the clips fine (it is not connected to the internet to protect my files, so I can't check whether it plays back the youtube clips properly).
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Glen, I'm running a quad core but I "think" it's more a function of your ISP's capabilities than it is your CPU.
I'm on a somewhat slow connection that periodically freezes up on me during playback but, as I said, the playback doesn't stutter when it does play.
FWIW, I use Firefox and have all the latest updates for codecs such as QuickTime, etc.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Major Player

The quality of Quicktime files produced from Vegas always seemed a bit lacking so I ended up with Sorenson Squeeze. The Sorenson 3 files from Squeeze are really good. Small file sizes and relatively high quality with smooth play.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...