DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   AVCHD weirdness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/236040-avchd-weirdness.html)

Jeff Harper May 25th, 2009 11:49 AM

AVCHD weirdness

My AVCHD files are playing fine everywhere but Vegas. In Vegas I'm getting what looks like dropped frames, blank spots, and distortions. Most of the footage looks fine otherwise. I'm using Vegas 9 and a fast i7 PC.

Anyone else having these issues?

Rich Petruccelli May 26th, 2009 08:01 AM

Yeah, me. I get slo-mo about half way through a render. Don't have any answers yet. I posted the question myself yesterday.

Jeff Harper May 26th, 2009 08:59 AM

Rich, I switched to Vegas 8 and things are much better. I forgot to report back here.

Rich Petruccelli May 26th, 2009 12:17 PM

No kidding? Maybe I'll give that a try. Sounds like they don't have all the bugs in 9 ironed out. Thanks for the info. -R

Rich Petruccelli May 27th, 2009 09:25 AM

Hey Jeff.

I upgraded to 9.0b, I was running the a version, and rendered a few files. So far, so good.

R

Mike Kujbida May 27th, 2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Petruccelli (Post 1149078)
I upgraded to 9.0b, I was running the a version...

Rich, you must be running Vegas Movie Studio whereas I'm certain that Jeff is running Vegas Pro.

Jim Snow May 27th, 2009 09:54 AM

One of the problems with AVCHD is that there are variations of it. AVCHD from various cameras is not the same. This has given the NLE developers a fit.

Jeff Harper May 27th, 2009 10:57 AM

Thanks for mentioning that Jim. I have blasted this upgrade, but I really feel for the software developers these days.

I don't know how they can possibly stay sane dealing with the infinite variety of video formats that are out now.

Rich Petruccelli May 27th, 2009 11:37 AM

Mike: Yes, I'm only a Movie Studio user.

Jim: I'm a software developer and I understand your point. But the camera I'm creating these files with is a SONY.

R

Jim Snow May 27th, 2009 11:44 AM

Rich, It is very frustrating for everyone. The generational changes with AVCHD have even been a problem within the same "brand". AVCHD has been a development in progress while the camera developers have been working on improving their codecs. All of this has turned out to be a nightmare for a lot of people.

Mike Kujbida May 27th, 2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Petruccelli (Post 1149162)
But the camera I'm creating these files with is a SONY.

Since the hardware division never bothers talking to the software division (must be a law about that somewhere), it doesn't make any difference what make/model camcorder you have.
You just know that your NLE (whatever it may be) will choke on it at some point in the editing process :-(

Jeff Harper May 27th, 2009 12:27 PM

Rich, Mike is right.

While you would naturally think that the fact your using a Sony cam should make a difference, it doesn't. Sad but true. We have heard this before from very authoritative sources in this forum.