DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Render Multicam preview (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/236399-render-multicam-preview.html)

Joel Bierling May 30th, 2009 10:43 AM

Render Multicam preview

Is there any way to render the multicam preview? As in the preview window that can simultaneously show every take? I'd like to render that view to a video that I can then give to others helping with the video so they can help with working with the video.

On a somewhat related note, is there any way to undo (delete) a transition from one camera to another?

Thanks!

Edward Troxel May 30th, 2009 01:58 PM

If you use one of the scripting multi-cam options, it's definitely no problem at all. I've never tried using the built-in version. What happens if you're in multi-cam mode and tell it to render???

Jason Robinson May 30th, 2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1150958)
If you use one of the scripting multi-cam options, it's definitely no problem at all. I've never tried using the built-in version. What happens if you're in multi-cam mode and tell it to render???

some of the scripts (speaking of VASST in particular) have pan/crop changes that reposition where each track sits. So that should be possible to render out the multicam at full resolution (or even HD resolution if it was all SD) so you can see a super high resolution copy of the multicam. Then you could position a frame counter overlay to provide a frame of reference (or put it on each clip). That should help with the group referencing the exact cut points.

Paul Kellett May 31st, 2009 03:54 AM

Joel, i think what you may be after is a video wall, have a look here

DaviTools

Sync all of your cameras first then save the project at this point, the instead of going on and creating a multicam track you can create the video wall and render it.
If everyone is happy with the camera angles the go back to the saved project, then create the multicam track and do the cuts.

Undoing a cut or changing a transition, i presume you mean when you've finished doing multicam and you're left with the one finished track, right click on the cut/clip/camera you wish to change > change take(or something like that, i haven't got vegas open at the moment), there you can pick which camera you'd prefer, same for transition, right click right on the join of the clips > transition (at the top) select your transition.

Paul.

Paul.

Edward Troxel May 31st, 2009 06:24 AM

Jason, the script versions (both Excalibur and VASST's products) used Pan/Crop to create the PIP view in Vegas 7 and older. However, as of Vegas Pro 8, we were given access to Track Motion so both were updated to create the multi-cam PIP using Track Motion instead. This has another advantage as well - you can actually Pan/Crop the original clip as needed and these adjustments will be carried up to the Master track.

Joel Bierling May 31st, 2009 11:11 AM

I appreciate the replies.

I think what I was looking for was the Track Motion feature. Thanks for the pointer. I can easily place up to four cameras (one for each corner).

Edward, if I'm in multi-cam mode and tell it to render, it just renders the selected/current track/camera. I want it to render all of the cameras on one frame.

Paul, does the DaviTools VideoWall just automate Track Motion (make it easier to use)? From reading the docs it looks like it might provide some polishing features as well, but that may be overkill for me since I just want a view that can help with editing.

The question I had about the deleting a cut/transition was that I can effectively remove a transition by just making the transition move to the same camera, but the break still appears in the timeline. How do I remove that (the break)? You'd think there would be a "Remove Transition" command.

Edward Troxel May 31st, 2009 01:09 PM

Joel, yes, I understand what you're wanting to do. The built-in multi-cam does not offer you that option. As I mentioned, the scripting versions *DO* offer you that option (in fact, I have a checkbox in Excalibur so that it will automatically do that for you!) So you either need to use one of the script options for multi-cam or create the PIP view yourself and render that out. You've been given many options.

Jason Robinson May 31st, 2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1151201)
Jason, the script versions (both Excalibur and VASST's products) used Pan/Crop to create the PIP view in Vegas 7 and older. However, as of Vegas Pro 8, we were given access to Track Motion so both were updated to create the multi-cam PIP using Track Motion instead. This has another advantage as well - you can actually Pan/Crop the original clip as needed and these adjustments will be carried up to the Master track.

Oooooo very nice when they open up the API more. I may investigate the latest version of my script to see what has changed.

So does track level movement affect my assertation that you can render it out as it exists with pan/crop? I wouldn't think it should.

I'm actually thinking I may do this at some point because it would make for an effective "demo" of why a multi-cam event can cover so much more ground and is worth the cost. That would allow me to put the 4:3 SD clips on an HD time line and create a quad cam screen and then stop it at that point and render it out.

Jason Robinson May 31st, 2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Bierling (Post 1151281)
The question I had about the deleting a cut/transition was that I can effectively remove a transition by just making the transition move to the same camera, but the break still appears in the timeline. How do I remove that (the break)? You'd think there would be a "Remove Transition" command.

Joel, after I process a multi-cam edit I usually spend several more minutes (even hour or so) and re-split each camera to its own track. That means:

Track 1: MASTER - contains all combined cameras with cuts / transitions
Track 2: Cam 1 - I pull all clips from Cam 1 to this track, keeping them synched
Track 3: Cam 2 - I pull all clips from Cam 2 to this track, keeping them synched
Track 4: Cam 3 - I pull all clips from Cam 3 to this track, keeping them synched

Eventually Track 1 is totally empty. I make tracks 2-4 sub-tracks (track 1 is parent so they are nested). This allows me to CC individual clips easier, and see how my multicam edit looks. I can tell if I am one cam too much, or not enough, and it is easy to adjust the cuts slightly (I always have to) to allow cam 1 an additional 2 sec before cutting to Cam 3, etc.

Edward Troxel June 1st, 2009 06:33 AM

Jason, whether you use Track Motion or Pan/Crop to create the PIP view makes no difference. However, using Track Motion does add a little more flexibility. That wasn't possible via a script until Vegas Pro 8.

Joel Bierling June 1st, 2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1151577)
re-split each camera to its own track. That means:

Track 1: MASTER - contains all combined cameras with cuts / transitions
Track 2: Cam 1 - I pull all clips from Cam 1 to this track, keeping them synched

Can you explain this pulling process in more detail? I assume you don't just mean dragging in the timeline because I'm not sure how that makes it easier to adjust the cuts slightly since as far as I can tell, you basically end up with exactly what you had in Track1.