DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas on a Macbook... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/236451-vegas-macbook.html)

Rick Steele May 31st, 2009 12:02 PM

Vegas on a Macbook...

It works fine (via Parallels and WinXP) but I can't seem to get it to preview in full screen. It will toggle to full screen mode but it's all gibberish. Using Vegas Pro 9 incidentally - 32bit.

My macbook is a late 2008 (2.4ghz white) with the on board intel GMA X3100 chipset.

Can anyone with a similar setup tell me if they have success with full screen previews?

Keith Paisley June 1st, 2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 1151309)
It works fine (via Parallels and WinXP) but I can't seem to get it to preview in full screen. It will toggle to full screen mode but it's all gibberish. Using Vegas Pro 9 incidentally - 32bit.

My macbook is a late 2008 (2.4ghz white) with the on board intel GMA X3100 chipset.

Can anyone with a similar setup tell me if they have success with full screen previews?

I bought parallels with my macbook pro but then tried VMWare Fusion and it blew away parallels so that's why I only use VMWare fusion now. I can edit in Vegas using VMWare and it's pretty decent speedwise but for max performance you should boot into bootcamp. Vegas screams on my macbook pro in bootcamp - strangely it renders h.264 even quicker than my core 2 quad desktop system. Sorry I can't help with your video issue in parallels. It sounds like the virtual video driver in parallels may have a glitch. Maybe try the VMWare demo - if it works well for you they have a pretty good competitive upgrade deal.

Rick Steele June 1st, 2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Paisley (Post 1151850)
Vegas screams on my macbook pro in bootcamp

I may have to give bootcamp a whirl - never used it. Parallels came free with my macbook and it's pretty much flawless so far.

I'm also coming from a Quad PC and to be honest, I can't really tell the difference on my little 2.4ghz core duo on the macbook.

You're probably right... that virtual graphics driver Parallels uses is most likely the culprit. I put in a support ticket and the tech said their software doesn't support this "game". :)

Brian Luce June 1st, 2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 1151982)
I may have to give bootcamp a whirl - never used it. Parallels came free with my macbook and it's pretty much flawless so far.

I'm also coming from a Quad PC and to be honest, I can't really tell the difference on my little 2.4ghz core duo on the macbook.

You're probably right... that virtual graphics driver Parallels uses is most likely the culprit. I put in a support ticket and the tech said their software doesn't support this "game". :)

The older macbooks are better suited to vegas than FCS because Final Cut relies on the gpu for a lot of things like motion and keying. Vegas is all cpu. In a way, the macbook is the ideal portable Vegas solution because you can run generic XP with no bloatware or driver issues and then use the Leopard side for surfing without fear of virus. Mac makes great laptops.

Jim Andrada June 2nd, 2009 02:26 AM

I also run Vegas under VMWare on a MacBook. For the limited stuff I use it for on the road it works fine. I haven't been able to get it to capture via Firewire, but have captured on the Mac side and accessed the file from Vegas under the XP guest machine.

Rick Steele June 2nd, 2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada (Post 1152641)
I also run Vegas under VMWare on a MacBook.

Can you tell me if the full screen preview option works under VMWare? (Or even bootcamp for that mattter).

I haven't tried the firewire input yet.